Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall Food Plots...what you planting?

Lets hear what you are planting!!!!

I am going with 3 plots 1 acre each, and doing wheat, oats, elbon rye, and a clover. Not sure what kind yet. Durana, White, or Arrowleaf not sure yet.

I will be spraying, mowing, and then grain drilling in the seed

Putting out 8 acres of Turner Seed Fall Deer Mix. A blend off 8-9 different seeds, plus an extra 5 lbs. of turnips. Will disk, plant and fertilize in the next 2-3 weeks, all based upon the weather.

Comment

We plant 10 acres. This year we are doing oats and turnips. In my opinion the most important factor is adding enough fertilizer. We fertilize 200lbs per acre.

Comment

I had great luck with the turnips growing last year. They were huge haha! But I walked around and a deer or hog did not touch any part of them. Even after a freeze. And I mowed them down once to promote new growth.

I think I am moving on from them

Comment

Wheat. Oats. Turnips.

Skinny

Comment

Clover, wheat, oats in that order.

Comment

I had a plan to buy all my seed from Dennis feed store in Denton but my buddy who farms said he'll give me 800lbs of seed for $100. This seed will include wheat, oats, rye and vetch. My plan is to also grab 100-150 lbs of buck forage oats and 100lbs of Austrian winter peas. Will fertilize with 13-13-13 at 100lbs per acre and fertilize with another rate at 50lbs per acre. In all I will plant 5-6 acres of disked plots and seed over another 2 acres that hasn't just to see how it does without fertilizer or a disked seed bed.
              Last edited by TTU TX Hunter; 09-05-2017, 12:42 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Keeping it simple this year, just planting triticale.

Comment

https://imgur.com/TEMSfX7

This will be a durana clover plot. I plan to put oats in it with the clover as a cover crop. I think it will be too shaded to get anything other than clover to do very well.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                    Putting out 8 acres of Turner Seed Fall Deer Mix. A blend off 8-9 different seeds, plus an extra 5 lbs. of turnips. Will disk, plant and fertilize in the next 2-3 weeks, all based upon the weather.
                    Have you used the Turner Fall Deer Mix before? I was considering using it this year.

Comment

With the cooler weather, and no rain forecast for the next 10 days in N, TX - I am going to plant my Parker Co oat plot this week, and hope the first rain that comes in mid Sep is soaker w/ a big cold front.

Very sandy soil.

I only have the borrowed tractor for a couple days, so my window is short. Otherwise I would probably disk and plant in later Sep.

Comment

I'm going to plant corn, plan is to just broadcast it from a feeder. Unless the hogs show up it will sprout before the deer ever touch it.

Comment

Planted triticale, turnips and clover mix

Comment

I have heard of Triticale but never seen or used it. Does it do well with oats?

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              I have heard of Triticale but never seen or used it. Does it do well with oats?
                              It's basically a cross between wheat and rye , makes a good leaf for grazing like wheat and rye, grows in colder conditions like rye won't go dormant as soon as wheat does. My neighbors have used it last couple years and had better pasture for grazing than my wheat pastures I had , so I decided to try it this year
                              I don't know how it would do with oats but I'm sure it would be fine and sometimes on a food plot it's good to plant more than one type of seed to increase your odds for the hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X