Keto for dummies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SwineAssassiN View Post
    I’d watch the diet soft drinks and take it easy on the protein, a lot of people think keto is high protein but is actually a moderate to low protein diet, until you reach your goal weight you can up it to build muscle while working out. But too much protein will turn into glucose. A lot of the crap in diet soda will turn into sugar, spike insulin and make weight loss more difficult also. It took me a little bit to figure out the perfect amount of protein per day.
    So were you tracking your macros? If so how much protein were you consuming daily and what was your target weight?

Comment

Great thread! Is there any decent NON alcoholic drinks? I don’t mind water but all day kinda sucks

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
        Great thread! Is there any decent NON alcoholic drinks? I don’t mind water but all day kinda sucks
        Some of the flavored Sparkling Waters/Seltzers aren't bad. You just have to try a few and figure out which ones you like.

Comment

Do Smart Keto and Intermediating Fasting

When I say Smart Keto, I mean to concentrate on fats/oils that are liquid at room temperature. You don’t have to eat bacon/eggs/beef all the time, doing so will cause your cholesterol to go up. Stick to Fish, chicken, and pork. Use avocado oil and olive oil for cooking. MCT oil helps a lot (stick to the organic, pure MCT oil).

Broccoli and Spinach are great veggies for keto. Eat as much as you want of them. Also, Guacamole is good on everything! I use the single serving packs as seasoning on veggies.

Intermediate fasting- many different versions of these. Look them up and pick the one that works for you. I tend to skip dinner and find that it helps me sleep better.

Comment

anyone here seen anything on intermittent fasting and testosterone? listened to something the other day that said its been shown to lower T levels....

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
              So were you tracking your macros? If so how much protein were you consuming daily and what was your target weight?
              Yes I do, I don’t write them down but it’s easy for me to keep track in my head on a daily basis. My goal weight was 175 from 233. I consumed about 100 grams a protein a day while I was losing. I now eat around 180 grams a day but I’m trying to maintain.

Comment

Yes I do, I don’t write them down but it’s easy for me to keep track in my head on a daily basis. My goal weight was 175 from 233. I consumed about 100 grams a protein a day while I was losing. I now eat around 180 grams a day but I’m trying to maintain.
                how many carbs?

Comment

Do not cook with olive oil if you are trying to get the benefits of olive oil. It should be put on top of food after it’s cooked or on salads.

Comment

thank you. That is easy enough. Ive always been high protein with moderate fat and carbs. I dont mind low carbs at all but it is going to take some getting used to, to switch to high fat, moderate protein.

Comment

Originally posted by justicetx View Post
                      What happened to good old fashion exercise and eating cleaner.
                      It works for sure.....it is what I did about 7 years ago to make a lifestyle change and getting into great shape. Life threw me some severe curveballs for the better part of this year and Ive put on about 12-15lbs of fat because I stopped exercising and eating clean for about 8 months. Im just looking to try something different to knock the fat off a little quicker. No harm in trying a different method to get back to where I want to be. It seems to me Keto is eating clean but in a different way. Once I get to my target, I'll probably go back to eating high protein with moderate carbs and fat intake. I like to eat meat!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mambajeep View Post
                        Do not cook with olive oil if you are trying to get the benefits of olive oil. It should be put on top of food after it’s cooked or on salads.
                        So many dont understand that olive oil doesnt do well with heat. I laugh at all the Chefs on tv using olive oil to cook with. They are destroying it. People should be using avocado oil to cook with. Probably the best oil that is healthy and has a high heat/smoke point thus avoiding toxins.

Comment

I wouldn’t skip meals. If you do however, I’d skip breakfast. I would buy a bag of babybel cheese, pork, as much ribeye as you can afford and avocados. I really enjoy pasta, so I would often do spaghetti with vegetable noodles. Kroger usually has some low carb marinara sauces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All the reading I've done recently about keto has lead to other info about cholesterol (lots of research indicates it's not the devil after all) and also other info about intermittent fasting. There appears to be loads of health benefits with IF. This isn't saying you need to skip nutrition and starve yourself. Instead, it appears to be beneficial if you eat all your calories and nutrients within a shorter window of time and then go for 16-18 hours per day without eating anything.

As much as I've never liked skipping meals or even a snack between meals, I'm gonna give IF a shot. Eating keto has instantly made it possible for me to not eat snacks between meals. I'm fuller for longer eating this way. I will probably experiment with eating breakfast and lunch only and then with eating lunch and supper only to see which works best for me.

Comment

Reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting

I'm about to start week four of 16/8. My stomach may start growling around 11:30am as I'll start my 8 hour window at noon. It's been a game changer for me for hunting in the mornings. I can sit all morning and have no hunger pangs that make me want to get down and go eat.

I think I'll go another week or 2 at 16/8 and then try 18/6. Haven't done a 24 hour fast or OMAD(one meal a day) yet.

Comment

20 hours into a 3 or 4 day fast (haven't decided how long I'm going to go). BHB 2.1 mmol CBG 70 mg/dL or 3.89 mmol. I want to get that ratio close to 1:1 (mmol basis). Supposedly by day three, you get clarity of mind that rivals a coming to Jesus moment. First two days are the toughest. Would love to be snacking on some kerrygold right about now, but I've made up my mind. I'm seeing this through.
                                Last edited by TwoHighways; 12-27-2019, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X