Keto for dummies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
    I agree with the lifestyle change. I did this(keto) over 2 years ago. I lost a lot of weight quickly and have kept the same weight since. You need to decide if you are willing to give up bread, taters & fries. ( and I don't eat veggies)You can have a cheat day every couple weeks or so, but otherwise, you need to be "all in" or it ain't gonna work.

When I do have a cheat day, my body lets me know it ain't happy. Good luck in your adventure.
    I love vegetables. I do love bread. I can live without taters pretty easily. It really doesn't sound like much of a change for me, except I have slipped back into eating some desserts here and there over the last couple of months. Whenever I skip sugar for a while, sweets taste bad anyway. It's not that hard. I just haven't been eating clean lately. We've been super busy, so eating out a LOT. I just need something to focus on to get me back on the right track. I think I'll like the keto deal.

I don't need to lose a lot of weight - 10 pounds would be great. 15 at the most. Mostly I would like to get my cholesterol numbers looking better, although I have seen all the opinions about how cholesterol isn't really bad and that inflammation is the biggest cause of atherosclerosis.

Originally posted by Tom View Post
    PM me your email and I will send you a great eBook...not keto 100% but modern diet by a dr. and all great and easy to follow.

will send to anyone for that matter

Merry Christmas

Tom
    PM sent. Thanks, Tom!

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyOrtiz View Post
      I have been doing Keto now for 325 days. I keep a journal of tasks at work and write down my weight and consecutive days of keto. I have lost 45# and feel the best I have in ages. We get an very extensive physical every January so I am looking forward to the blood work results. It’s not difficult and has been very beneficial, good luck and keep us up to date with your results.

Please post your results after your exam.

I’ve been on the keto diet since April and like many others that have posted I feel great... better than I have in years and I’ve always worked out several times per week. In fact, before I started the keto diet I had a physical and the results were summed up in a “health age”... I was 24 years old based on health! I’m curious what my health age is now that I’ve been on this diet for 8 months.

The reduction in inflammation (joints, tendons, muscles) and less brain fog are what reeled me in. It’s real folks.

Comment

Semi-keto + portion control works wonders. I kno it sounds dumb but if u can discipline yourself for a couple weeks results are there. Small breakfast skip lunch then eat clean for dinner you’ll drop weight.

Comment

very vague, but i believe keto killed my overweight friend. he lost alot of weight fast, but something about keeping high fats in your diet made me question the practice.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

I honestly don’t think Keto is the route you should take. I would suggest Macroholics Nutrition (based out of Lubbock Tex). You can find them on Facebook or their web page

Comment

Close your pie hole

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                  Close your pie hole
                  That's generally good advice for some on here even when not talking diet.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                    Jack Daniels is keto friendly!
                    Yes it is

Comment

My doctor told me to stay away from Keto at my age.

Then again he also told me that sitting on my azz is bad for my cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        I don't need to lose a lot of weight - 10 pounds would be great. 15 at the most. Mostly I would like to get my cholesterol numbers looking better, although I have seen all the opinions about how cholesterol isn't really bad and that inflammation is the biggest cause of atherosclerosis.
                        Shane this is exactly where Im at for the exact reasons you mentioned. Im doing better and will get back to eating correctly after the holidays. Ive toyed with the Keto and unwittingly did it for awhile several years ago before I knew what it was. I just got skinny and didnt like the way I looked.

Your statement about cholesterol not being bad but inflammation in the body causing atherosclerosis is spot on. I have always had moderately high cholesterol numbers. I focus on removing/staying away from inflammation in my body as much as possible. I had some tests run last year at age 55 as part as an overall health screening and my arteries are super clean with zero build up. I would tell people to research this whole cholesterol causes heart disease thing. It came from govt studies and big pharma......surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                          Shane this is exactly where Im at for the exact reasons you mentioned. Im doing better and will get back to eating correctly after the holidays. Ive toyed with the Keto and unwittingly did it for awhile several years ago before I knew what it was. I just got skinny and didnt like the way I looked.

Your statement about cholesterol not being bad but inflammation in the body causing atherosclerosis is spot on. I have always had moderately high cholesterol numbers. I focus on removing/staying away from inflammation in my body as much as possible. I had some tests run last year at age 55 as part as an overall health screening and my arteries are super clean with zero build up. I would tell people to research this whole cholesterol causes heart disease thing. It came from govt studies and big pharma......surprise.
                          High LDL-P is risky. LDL-C and LDL-P are not necessarily correlated. In a standard panel, the typically measure LDL-C but not LDL-P, and a shockingly high number of physicians or unaware of the difference as it pertains to risk for atherosclerosis, which if you find that to be the case, you need to find a primary care doctor that is better versed in the practice of medicine.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                            My doctor told me to stay away from Keto at my age.

Then again he also told me that sitting on my azz is bad for my cholesterol.
                            Are you a diabetic?

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
                              Are you a diabetic?
                              At one point in my life, my A1C was over 7.5 and cholesterol was 250. Triglycerides stayed around 400-600. I never gave a chit about anything back then, till I figured out that I did not want to end up in a wheel chair from diabetes and paying someone to wipe my azz everyday.

At age 50 I lost 85 pounds by portion control and high physical activity. I rarely eat any junk food today, but still drink alcohol and raise hell. I walk 10 miles a week and use a Bowflex M5 trainer 15 minutes a day.

I injured myself back in August and was on limited physical activity for two months. Liked to drove me crazy.
                              Last edited by Radar; 12-21-2019, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
                                High LDL-P is risky. LDL-C and LDL-P are not necessarily correlated. In a standard panel, the typically measure LDL-C but not LDL-P, and a shockingly high number of physicians or unaware of the difference as it pertains to risk for atherosclerosis, which if you find that to be the case, you need to find a primary care doctor that is better versed in the practice of medicine.
                                Yep. I've been doing a lot of research about it the last couple days. The more I research about cholesterol and heart disease, the less I care and worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Working...
                                X