• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
    I would buy the bergara 308 b14 ridge in the classifieds

This right here and you’re set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is what I would look at. This is something to hand down to your kids and grand kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
        Bergara B14 Woodsman or Tikka T3X Forest in 270 Winchester. Glass would be Luepold VX3i with CDS. I prefer wood and blue, but you can get Tikka or Bergara in composite. This would keep you in the 1500.00 range, you can get the rifle for 800-900 and a scope with rings and mount should be in the 500-600 range. I believe Midway has VX3i on sale now for 400-600 dollars.

Why 270? Because even the most "efficient" new calibers are still so close to a 270 in ballistics that I just do not see any advantage. Sorry 6.5 Needmoor or 6.5 PRC guys.
        I concur....but you misspelled .308

Comment

I would buy a good bow and setup Does your wife have a sister or mom

Comment

Tikka or Begara. 270 would be my first choice.. followed by 6.5 creedmoor/300 win mag

Vortex for the glass. Probably a Viper series.. something starting around 5x.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I would buy a Ruger American, replace the stock, and sink the rest of the money in glass.

Comment

X2 on a Leupold - that way you won’t have to start a thread ranting and raving about vortex’s aWeSoMe CuStOmEr SeRvIcE because you won’t have to send your leuy in LOL

Comment

Browning xbolt I have a 30-06 and my wife has the 308

Comment

We can say forever now. But that’s tuff. Here is my take. And I’m no gun expert.

By the most expensive/quality scope you can get in that price range. Be budget minded on the gun. That glass if you so choose, will xfer to another gun. Not vice Versa.

I’ve seen this in the camera Industry. Glass never loses value. Camera body might.

The gun won’t make the glass. But the glass will make the gun every time in my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
                      I would buy the bergara 308 b14 ridge in the classifieds
                      I've been watching it, it may be SPF.

But you can still get the Swaro for $700. Slap it on a tikka, bergara, CZ, howa/weatherby vanguard, savage, ruger american in a boy'd stock.....of your choice.

Comment

Tikka, Weatheryby Vanguard, CZ, and Swaro or Zeiss Glass.

I have always wanted a Winchester M70 Featherweight in .25-06, .270, .308, or 7mm-08 with a glossy Leupold VX3 2.5-8 in glossy leupold rings. I saw one one time and thought it was the classiest Texas deer hunting rifle I had ever seen. That would be doable except that Leupold quit making that scope in glossy finish.

Comment

Remington 700 mountain SS in .308 or 6.5 if you're cool. Leupold VX-3i 3.5x10x40 w/ game reaper x-low mount. Right in your budget. Shot a mule deer through the heart > 225 yards last year with this one...7 lbs 3.5 oz on the scale. Some nice mods ..bed the stock, timney trigger and PTG SS firing pin assembly
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Anteloper; 12-19-2019, 12:05 PM.

Comment

I'd spend $500 on an older used R700 and $1000 on glass. If the rifle was going to be used primarily on Texas sized game I'd get a .308, .243, or .270. If you were wanting to go out West i'd step it up.

Whatever you do, I'd suggest keeping the rifle cost and scope cost at least split evenly. Glass is super important. You really only need the rifle to shoot 1MOA for hunting and plenty of factory rifles are capable of that.

I love my trijicon scopes btw.
                            Last edited by yotethumper; 12-19-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Tikka T3 in 7mm-08, 6.5 or 270. For the scope get a Meopta Optika 6.

Comment

Originally posted by RF76 View Post
                                Tikka T3 in 7mm-08, 6.5 or 270. For the scope get a Meopta Optika 6.
                                This but a Luepold VX3 CDS or a Vortex Viper series scope. Nothing more than 14-15x

Comment

Working...
                                X