20 Guage Slugs for Public Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20 Guage Slugs for Public Land

Looking for recommendations for rifled slugs for a 20 guage. I hunt public land that allows shotgun slugs. I wanted a 12 guage but after shooting 12 guage slugs at the range I decided that was not for me. I bought a Mossberg 20 guage rifled barrel with a Deadringer 2.5x20 scope. I was concerned if a 20 guage would efficiently kill deer and hogs but it is so much easier to shoot. So, what slug is best???

Thanks,
    Lance

I have used the Federal Premium Trophy Copper sabot with excellent results out to 140 yards. Not cheap but after site in I have never had to shoot twice.

Comment

2 3/4 or 3"?

Comment

Any advice?

Comment

I shoot a older Remington LT20 2 3/4"with a fully rifled slug barrel with iron sights. I have used Lightfield Hybrids and the Hornady SST and they are very accurate but recently sticking with the Lightfields for now.

Comment

I as well use a LT20 1100 and I use lightfields in a Hastings slug barrel. It shoots great. Each gun is different especially slug guns! Buy a few boxes of what you can afford and see what works.

Comment

I use a 2 3/4 shell it kills deer man! My longest kill is 130 yards. Whatever pigs as well it hammers them hard. I like the 20 gauge for its recoil and it’s lighter for long treks into the Ohio woods. It’s never let me down even on big bucks it’s a deer killer! A lot of guys where I hunt use the 2 3/4 20 gauge lightfields as well.

Comment

Best advice I can share, buy several different brands, and get ready for lots of range time to finger out what your gun patterns the best.

I bought an Ultra slug hunter, and took a fair amount of time to find the right slugs. Some wouldn’t pattern for squat, also found the 2 3/4 patterned better than 3’s.

Also, make sure your mount bolts are torqued to specs, and use loctite on them.

Start at 50 yards, then move to 100 yards.

You could contact Texasgrown, or Bloodtrail... they both have extensive knowledge on slug guns, and both helped me tremendously.

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate it

Comment

I am shooting hornady super performance slugs. I tried federal first 2 3/4" and wasn't the best grouping. I have a big stack of different brads though I am gonna try one day when its not 100 degrees outside and find one thats more consistent. I am shooting the Savage 220 bolt action slug gun. Just got it in February and threw it together quick for a hunt

Comment

I have had great luck with the Hornadys in my 20ga 870 with a rifled slug barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                        2 3/4 or 3"?
                        Apologizes for the slow response, I lost the post.

I use 3" for the extra range and my gun likes them. 2 3/4 are almost as good and worth a try.

Comment

I have a 12g with slug barrel, it will group about 2" at 100 yards with 3"Remington accu tip. It is riffled barrel on a cheap maverick 88 pump. It kicks quite a bit, more so than any thing else ive shot.
                          I did some reading, t seems the lightfields have a following on a few forums in slug hunting states.
                          I also read that shooting a slug rifle is different, in that the slug is still coming out of the barrel as the gun rises, d/t the slower speeds. It states actively pushing down on the barrel if on a rest, or actively pulling down on the forend if shooting free hand: to help accuracy.
                          I havnt shot a deer with mine yet, only saw one deer while hunting with it. It was in my earlier years of hunting and a small spike, so would have considered it, but felt bad blasting that little deer with big slug. Honestly didn't think there would be much left.
                          Ive never tried 2 3/4, though I started shooting Muzzleloader this year (figured I try a late season buck, A few guys on here seem to have luck). On the Muzzleloader there are countless people recommending not load full capacity, d/t decreased accuracy/more recoil. So a lot of guys are shooting less grain and less powder getting better combinations.
                          Good luck, post how you do, Im interested.

Comment

Send Bloodtrail a msg. He is a slug gun guru to say the least!

Comment

Opps misread thought you were asking about the gun ;-).

Comment

Working...
                              X