No announcement yet.

Select Baseball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well my kid got called this morning to come out and pitch in a 17U showcase tourney in San Antonio at the Missions stadium on Saturday. I have to work so I’ll be watching my phone for updates. He is going to show up and pitch for the day and then coming home- cleaning up and off to Lubbock on Tuesday. We are winding down and will say it has been a down/up Summer. He is trying to convert over to a starting role and before June he had never thrown out of the wind up- was not successful and was beating himself up. Recently they have been running him out to close and he is a different animal. It’s good to see him go back out and attack when he toes the rubber. I’ll let you guys know how he does with the older group this weekend.

Comment

Out of curiosity, why did he feel like he needed to throw from the wind up? Why not work from the stretch and focus on other aspects of the conversion that don't change his timing/delivery?

Comment

Jim. Because he is a kid and all the other kids that toe the rubber at beginning of game go from the stretch. His biggest adjustment is mindset. He has to find it. When he closes he attacks. Pace is fast and he presses batters, comes downhill hard, throws with 100% intensity, looks like he is ****** off at the world. He has had a hard time finding that toeing the rubber at start of game

Comment

I hear ya, I give it 10 years and the wind up will be dead. MLB starters are abandoning it and the kids will follow.

As for the mindset, I have one of those too. He is a hard throwing max effort type of pitcher that likes to challenge and overpower hitters. When he comes in with the game on the line he is sharp. Much less so when starting or throwing in middle relief. Something about the adrenaline of the game being on the line just flips a switch he cant seem to find on his own yet.

Comment

Jim you find the cure we are all ears.

Comment

Our team is looking for 2-3 talented 9U players to play with our team. We are a competitive AAA team out of the Mansfield area in DFW. We just went comp last year and had a lot of fun and improved tremendously with the competition level. We are not a club, we only have this team and all cost are split between each player with various fundraisers done through out the year. We play league play at Mansfield Youth Baseball Association and do 6-8 competitive tournaments a year located in the DFW area. We have a great group of kids, coaches, and parents that have been together for going on 3 years now. PM me if you are looking for a team. We will be having tryouts throughout July and August heading into Fall Ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                Well my kid got called this morning to come out and pitch in a 17U showcase tourney in San Antonio at the Missions stadium on Saturday. I have to work so I’ll be watching my phone for updates. He is going to show up and pitch for the day and then coming home- cleaning up and off to Lubbock on Tuesday. We are winding down and will say it has been a down/up Summer. He is trying to convert over to a starting role and before June he had never thrown out of the wind up- was not successful and was beating himself up. Recently they have been running him out to close and he is a different animal. It’s good to see him go back out and attack when he toes the rubber. I’ll let you guys know how he does with the older group this weekend.
                That's awesome

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                  Jim you find the cure we are all ears.
                  Haha, if I find the cure you will hear about my patented program sweeping the nation

Comment

well my 10yo is officially a free agent. we started this tigers team at 8u, went to a paid coach at 9u and have since had 12 kids come and go, whether cut or on their own. there were issues early last year but we knew brocks best friends were on the team and kind of always hoped things would improve, so we stayed. there were numerous issues with the team, but what it basically boiled down to was the coach valued winning over development, at 9-10 years old.

its a little embarrassing actually to think that we stayed this long with all the things that were happening, but we hated the thought of pulling brock from his friends at a young age. but my wife and i made our mind up last month that we were going to leave after the world series and we had a talk with brock about how he needed to pay attention to who is playing where and who is playing how much in the world series and when it was over he actually understood where we were coming from and is looking forward to a fresh start.

he had a good workout with that 12u team that i posted about the other day and i was told to expect a call from a very respected 11u coach this morning, so i am hoping we find a good spot this time.

good luck to any of you guys looking for a team out there, like i was told, dont leave any questions unanswered when you sit down with a coach. if you want your kid playing here or there and playing this much, tell them, and find another team if you need to, in the end, if none of that is being met it wont matter how much the team wins, you wont be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                      well my 10yo is officially a free agent. we started this tigers team at 8u, went to a paid coach at 9u and have since had 12 kids come and go, whether cut or on their own. there were issues early last year but we knew brocks best friends were on the team and kind of always hoped things would improve, so we stayed. there were numerous issues with the team, but what it basically boiled down to was the coach valued winning over development, at 9-10 years old.

its a little embarrassing actually to think that we stayed this long with all the things that were happening, but we hated the thought of pulling brock from his friends at a young age. but my wife and i made our mind up last month that we were going to leave after the world series and we had a talk with brock about how he needed to pay attention to who is playing where and who is playing how much in the world series and when it was over he actually understood where we were coming from and is looking forward to a fresh start.

he had a good workout with that 12u team that i posted about the other day and i was told to expect a call from a very respected 11u coach this morning, so i am hoping we find a good spot this time.

good luck to any of you guys looking for a team out there, like i was told, dont leave any questions unanswered when you sit down with a coach. if you want your kid playing here or there and playing this much, tell them, and find another team if you need to, in the end, if none of that is being met it wont matter how much the team wins, you wont be happy.
                      I saw Tigers-Miller post up for tryouts and thought about yall. Hope for the best! Know Brock will be great. Let me know where yall end up, enjoy following the teams.

I second the discussions with the Coaches. I always saw it as being "that Parent", but with the time and effort Jax was putting in, it was the absolute best thing we could do for Him. Sure enough the Coach was great, explained the situation and Jax hasn't been the beneficiary. Those kids that the Coach told me he was working off the team, are off the team. Point is, that is was part of a plan, but I would have just stayed frustrated without opening up a discussion and talking with the Coach.

Comment

I will say that the best team my kid was on didn’t win many rings. His coaches where very much about letting them play games. He worked them Mon-Thur. Made kids throw 100% at all times in the field. Backup were always in the right place and moving with effort. These two guys got kids that in my opinion were marginal players that are now on good high school programs. We went in knowing that their goal was to get the kids on their high school teams. Find a program that fits. Baseball is about fresh mowed grass and the sound of a squared up hit. It is a kids game and let them play it as long as their talent allows them too.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post

Jshouse, please don’t take this the wrong way. I think I understand where your last paragraph is coming from. But, food for thought, your child is going to face adversity at some point in regards to sports. Whether that be position or playing time, whether that be 10U, high school, college, or professional. Open conversation with Coach is great, leaving a team because your kid doesn’t play the position you want is not doing them any favors. Again, I have no clue what your situation was and I’m sure it was much more than that. That last paragraph just caught me off guard coming from most of your posts. “Team” is everything in any sport, but not necessarily the team “winning”.

Comment

We *might* have a ridiculousness issue...

Comment

Originally posted by mrddye View Post
                              Jshouse, please don’t take this the wrong way. I think I understand where your last paragraph is coming from. But, food for thought, your child is going to face adversity at some point in regards to sports. Whether that be position or playing time, whether that be 10U, high school, college, or professional. Open conversation with Coach is great, leaving a team because your kid doesn’t play the position you want is not doing them any favors. Again, I have no clue what your situation was and I’m sure it was much more than that. That last paragraph just caught me off guard coming from most of your posts. “Team” is everything in any sport, but not necessarily the team “winning”.

No sir, it's all good. There is quite a bit more to it

Just a few examples,

We had a kid on the team, was here for 8u, 9u, and 10u. He didn't play 1 inning on Sundays this year, got 39 at bats in the 50 games we played. We made two 5 hour trips this spring, Beaumont and Dripping Springs, 4 games on Sunday in Beaumont and 3 in dripping springs, he didn't touch the field because he struggles at the plate. He has 3 younger siblings that make every game and spend the days running around the field.

We have another kid that was sat almost as much, and my son spent 4-5 Sunday games on the bench this year. Last year was similar for the same 3 boys, and all 3 are no longer on the team.

As far as the playing time goes, maybe my expectations are too high, but 15 innings of infield in 50 games for a 10yo just isn't enough, especially when he isn't making up any time during practice. We have 1 other kid that got even less time in the infield and 2 others that played outfield 100% of the time and have for 2 years now. To go along with that we had 5 kids that played infield 100% of the time this year, and 3 of them have even left the team in the last week.

Again, maybe my expectations are too high but that's not the kind of program I want my son to be in at 9-10 years old, and I wish I would have made the change last year.

IMO, regardless of skill level, at younger ages these boys need to be playing all over the place, learning the game, figuring things out. I had a talk with a coach today that went very well, I'm hoping we can make things work over there. We already know 2 kids on the team and have a good idea of what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                                We *might* have a ridiculousness issue...
                                I'm regretting not grabbing a couple Cat8s before we left the tigers

Comment

Working...
                                X