No announcement yet.

Select Baseball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best tournaments for these types for the kids are set up with a tower and 4 fields around the tower. 4 games going at once. that way a guy could go look for a shortstop and watch 8 of them at a time. I don't care if it is day 1 or after bracket play as long as there are 4 games going it is the place to be. When the games get on satellite fields it is hit or miss and no guarantee that they are being watched by anyone but parents.

Comment

My soon to be 8 year old boy is needing a bat. Looking for 27"-28", -12, 2 5/8 or 2 3/4" barrel text me 940 872 0887

Comment

How many of you guys have your boys playing up? My oldest is going yo 11u this fall, a buddy of mine is coaching a 12u team this fall and had a workout last night and told me to take Brock out there, and he did really well. Physically he is fine, he was the fastest out there from home to first and from home to home, has a great arm, caught everything they hit to him...

It would be a good team to be with, facilities are close to home and the coaching will be good, I just wonder if its a good move to play up, especially being his first year on bigger bases.... or do I just say he's holding his own and let him go?

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
          How many of you guys have your boys playing up? My oldest is going yo 11u this fall, a buddy of mine is coaching a 12u team this fall and had a workout last night and told me to take Brock out there, and he did really well. Physically he is fine, he was the fastest out there from home to first and from home to home, has a great arm, caught everything they hit to him...

It would be a good team to be with, facilities are close to home and the coaching will be good, I just wonder if its a good move to play up, especially being his first year on bigger bases.... or do I just say he's holding his own and let him go?
          Let him play.. if he can hang ..why not?

Comment

Same as stated above, and sounds like the situation may be a step up as well.

It may turn out to be different throughout the season, but when we played on the bigger bases, there was no real change.

Comment

In my experience playing up will do good things for him. At 14 he will enter high school and play. He is be ahead of the others as he is facing pitching, fielding, etc of the older group and he will also have increased confidence of been there done that. I can not see a negative. It will also let him know where he needs to be.

Comment

yeah i hear you guys, we just dont really see a lot of kids that play up with a birthday as late as his, he turns 11 in january. we know several kids that play up but they are may/june/july birthdays who are just playing with their grade.

we have also seen a handful of kids that have played up since 7u that are starting to fall back to their correct age group at 10u-11u-12u.

i think it would be good for him, hes just not a super confident kid so i could see it going against him a little if he struggles too.

i am interested to see him in another work out or 2 with the older kids and then maybe will have a better feel.

Comment

TXJim's son plays up. He was 11U last year and played on a 12U Majors team.

I think 11 playing to 12 is fine. It may be a little dicey the following year going to the next size field at 13U.

Comment

My youngest went from a 10U Majors team to an 11U Majors team in the Spring of his 10U season. He played with the same group this past spring as an 11 year old playing 12U. He is an August birthday so he is done with 12U but doesn't turn 12 for a couple of weeks. He was in 5th grade last spring during his 12U season. There are kids on his team that are more than 15 months older than him and a couple were in 7th grade.

As for the transition from 9U/10U field to 11U/12U, for more advanced players the bigger field is better IMHO, the game slows down just a bit and the play is more pure. The plays are not all bang bang quick like 10U Majors on the smaller field tends to be. If he is as physically mature as the kids in the older group I don't really see a downside.

As far as what happens in 13U, don't sweat it now. Put him in the best spot for his current development and worry about the next season when it comes.

Personally, I hope my boy stays on his current path and plays 13U in 6th and 14 in 7th. That will give him a 2nd season in 14U on the full size field swinging a BBCOR bat before he goes to HS.

His older brother is 14U, just finished 8th grade, and is playing 15U summer ball after playing 14U Spring. He is doing great and will go into HS baseball knowing he can already play with Sophomores and Juniors as most of his 15U tourneys are mixed 15U/16U.
                    Last edited by TXJIM; 07-16-2018, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
                      My youngest went from a 10U Majors team to an 11U Majors team in the Spring of his 10U season. He played with the same group this past spring as an 11 year old playing 12U. He is an August birthday so he is done with 12U but doesn't turn 12 for a couple of weeks. He was in 5th grade last spring during his 12U season. There are kids on his team that are more than 15 months older than him and a couple were in 7th grade.

As for the transition from 9U/10U field to 11U/12U, for more advanced players the bigger field is better IMHO, the game slows down just a bit and the play is more pure. The plays are not all bang bang quick like 10U Majors on the smaller field tends to be. If he is as physically mature as the kids in the older group I don't really see a downside.

As far as what happens in 13U, don't sweat it now. Put him in the best spot for his current development and worry about the next season when it comes.

Personally, I hope my boy stays on his current path and plays 13U in 6th and 14 in 7th. That will give him a 2nd season in 14U on the full size field swinging a BBCOR bat before he goes to HS.

His older brother is 14U, just finished 8th grade, and is playing 15U summer ball after playing 14U Spring. He is doing great and will go into HS baseball knowing he can already play with Sophomores and Juniors as most of his 15U tourneys are mixed 15U/16U.
                      Great info sir, I appreciate it. Good luck to your boys

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
                        My soon to be 8 year old boy is needing a bat. Looking for 27"-28", -12, 2 5/8 or 2 3/4" barrel text me 940 872 0887
                        I think a 27" drop 10 will work good too

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
                          I think a 27" drop 10 will work good too
                          How big is your boy?
                          How is his swing?
                          has he swung a big barrel bat before?

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                            How big is your boy?
                            How is his swing?
                            has he swung a big barrel bat before?
                            Yes. His friend has a 26" drop -12 that he swings good and a 26" drop-10 both he swings really good. He is a little bigger than both friends so that's why I think a 27" drop -10 is the best choice.
                            He is a lefty with a really smooth swing. 7 yrs old and needs to work on keeping eye on the ball.

Comment

We just bought our Warstic Hawk 2 - Buddy from the team took 4 of the boys down to the Dallas shop. It looked awesome. Kiddos loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                                In my experience playing up will do good things for him. At 14 he will enter high school and play. He is be ahead of the others as he is facing pitching, fielding, etc of the older group and he will also have increased confidence of been there done that. I can not see a negative. It will also let him know where he needs to be.
                                I agree with Glen. Our oldest, Andrew, has played up 1 level most of the years he played select... It will force your son to step up his game some.

Comment

Working...
                                X