Safety or no safety on a carry pistol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
    What if an oath to uphold the Constitution contradicts the the law they are bound by?

Also, how is getting fined or arrested for carrying a legally owned pistol in your vehicle not being restrictive?

I get that it is the law, but law enforcement has a history of, "just enforcing the law" when the laws are contrary to the Constitution. As has been proven by history, the defense of "just doing my job" doesn't remove the responsibility of ones actions.

Nazi Germany, Separate but Equal, now seizure of property, etc. Just cause it is the law doesn't make it right

I totally get what you are saying but you are advised to follow the law and they are bound to uphold the law.

There are many laws on the books that are unjust but refusing to follow the law doesn’t work well for us and refusing to enforce the law doesn’t usually bode well for law enforcement. It’s a catch 22 situation that sucks.

Our main power to do anything is to get the law changed through voting and such, not whine about them on the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

After being a 1911 fan, the an XD guy, then a few sig's, I now prefer glocks and love the fact there's no " safety. "

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        I totally get what you are saying but you are advised to follow the law and they are bound to uphold the law.

There are many laws on the books that are unjust but refusing to follow the law doesn’t work well for us and refusing to enforce the law doesn’t usually bode well for law enforcement. It’s a catch 22 situation that sucks.

Our main power to do anything is to get the law changed through voting and such, not whine about them on the internet.

I agree with much of what you are saying, but calling BS when i see it is not really whining. Falling in line and blindly following/supporting cops is not in my nature, but if it is in yours, that's cool

Comment

I agree with much of what you are saying, but calling BS when i see it is not really whining. Falling in line and blindly following/supporting cops is not in my nature, but if it is in yours, that's cool

I tend to follow the law whether I agree with it or not. I like my house better than jail, but if you don’t, that’s cool. [emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
            After being a 1911 fan, the an XD guy, then a few sig's, I now prefer glocks and love the fact there's no " safety. "
            My only no safety defensive pistol is a 23 but it has the rtf2 finish & little too crusty on the edges...I like it but seldom carry it. All my other defense autos are a 1911 / 2011 design and what I started with 30 years ago.

Bet if I even had the 23 on me I would still go for a safety that isn't there in a scary moment.

I get calls about this topic often & the answer really depends on the individual. I never recommend a 1911 coming out of the gates for a first timer, even though that is how I started. Sometimes it is the lowly revolver or one of the new autos that have the first shot with a similar long double action pull. For those that really are interested in shooting & want to practice a lot...the Glock & other new striker fires are hard to beat for a first carry gun. Some mfg's are even offering the same design with & without a safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              I tend to follow the law whether I agree with it or not. I like my hoCool use better than jail, but if you don’t, that’s cool. [emoji6]

So do you call BS, or just duck and go along? And yes i follow the laws too, but I also tell it like it is. I have a feeling you do too. Many people are all pro law enforcement all the time, I choose to be pro law enforcement when they are in the right, and when they are not i have no problem saying it

Comment

What if an oath to uphold the Constitution contradicts the the law they are bound by?

Also, how is getting fined or arrested for carrying a legally owned pistol in your vehicle not being restrictive?

I get that it is the law, but law enforcement has a history of, "just enforcing the law" when the laws are contrary to the Constitution. As has been proven by history, the defense of "just doing my job" doesn't remove the responsibility of ones actions.

Nazi Germany, Separate but Equal, now seizure of property, etc. Just cause it is the law doesn't make it right
                All laws are constitutional unless a court says otherwise.

Article III Section 1 of that same Constitution that you referenced it says... “The judicial power of the United States, shall be vested in one Supreme Court”.

In the question of their jurisdiction over rights it is followed up in Section 2 which says.... “The judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution”.

In the Constitution it says (above) that the SCOTUS has the judicial power in questions in “all cases” “arising under this Constitution”.

It doesn’t say that the opinion is delivered by RJH1, tvc or TBH.

When you get the SCOTUS to throw out carry laws, you will be on firm legal ground. Until then....

I look forward to that day. There are still people sitting in jail on gun charges that agree with your opinion. The trial court didn’t ask them to interpret the Constitution either. Arguing over an officer’s oath isn’t helping them either.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                  All laws are constitutional unless a court says otherwise.

Article III Section 1 of that same Constitution that you referenced it says... “The judicial power of the United States, shall be vested in one Supreme Court”.

In the question of their jurisdiction over rights it is followed up in Section 2 which says.... “The judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution”.

In the Constitution it says (above) that the SCOTUS has the judicial power in questions in “all cases” “arising under this Constitution”.

It doesn’t say that the opinion is delivered by RJH1, tvc or TBH.

When you get the SCOTUS to throw out carry laws, you will be on firm legal ground. Until then....

I look forward to that day. There are still people sitting in jail on gun charges that agree with your opinion. The trial court didn’t ask them to interpret the Constitution either. Arguing over an officer’s oath isn’t helping them either.

I don't disagree with this either, however when you look at the bill of rights many if not all are being disregarded by law enforcement and the courts, and you are right they don't give a sh*t what i or you think and seem more than happy to keep that status quo, but i will continue to call BS when i see it. Maybe if enough people speak up something will get done. Probably not though with all the LEO apologist that want to pick a "team" instead of speaking up when rights are stepped on

But we have kinda strayed from the OP..... haha
                  Last edited by RJH1; 09-16-2018, 07:12 PM.

Comment

No safety just my trigger finger.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                      My only no safety defensive pistol is a 23 but it has the rtf2 finish & little too crusty on the edges...I like it but seldom carry it. All my other defense autos are a 1911 / 2011 design and what I started with 30 years ago.

Bet if I even had the 23 on me I would still go for a safety that isn't there in a scary moment.

I get calls about this topic often & the answer really depends on the individual. I never recommend a 1911 coming out of the gates for a first timer, even though that is how I started. Sometimes it is the lowly revolver or one of the new autos that have the first shot with a similar long double action pull. For those that really are interested in shooting & want to practice a lot...the Glock & other new striker fires are hard to beat for a first carry gun. Some mfg's are even offering the same design with & without a safety.
                      Once again, a proper grip/ draw removes all that.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        Sitting out in the open isn’t legal anyway.
                        Using a gun magnet under the dash is not in plain view.
                        Also, they do not enforce "in a holster provision" also. I have been pulled over a few times for speeding and have informed (and removed) my pistol from the center console several times over the years. Once by HPD, once by DPS, and once by the Border Patrol checking me out.

Comment

Too be clear, It was inside the center console unholstered.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                            Yep. Could cause a person a lot of trouble and a criminal record

In today's world LEO'S take this very serious.

It's stupid not to carry correctly when it is so easy.

a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the persons control at any time in which:
                            (1) the handgun is in plain view, unless the person is licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and the handgun is carried in a shoulder or belt holster;

b) Except as provided by Subsection (c) or (d), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
                            It says "in plain view".
                            Reaching under the dash is not in plain view or reckless.

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                              Too be clear, It was inside the center console unholstered.
                              Anywhere in the car you can not see it would be okay.

Not sure about the magnet thing...

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                                Once again, a proper grip/ draw removes all that.
                                again...like already stated, most don't shoot their pistols enough to even consider the safety aspect being an automatic event in a heightened situation much less understand what you/we understand about by a proper draw. Hell, even most recreational pistol shooters do not ever practice any emergency holster / unholster of their sidearms at the range to simulate.

I can explain it to those who ask, but if they are honest in their sincerity about how much they will actually carry / practice?? Sometimes suggesting a revolver like a 442 or 642 is what suits them best 'coming out of the gates' vs a 19 or M&P.

Talking neophytes out of the uber micro autos they are looking into & in regards to explaining said proper draw & moving them into a snubby with an actual grip they can find is fairly common for me. All I'm saying is what seems common sense to you and I isn't going to happen in the real world to many of the folks who ask me what their first defensive pistol should be.

Comment

Working...
                                X