No announcement yet.

Euro in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read through this thread and it's very interesting. I prefer the DIY, but I think I'll just keep taking mine to SkullWorks. They look great and it's more than reasonable.

Comment

How do you tell when it is finished degreasing and has anyone had issues with the teeth falling out?

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyG View Post
        How do you tell when it is finished degreasing and has anyone had issues with the teeth falling out?
        You can tell its done degreasing when there is no more or very little grease floating to the top of the water. It usually takes a couple of times changing the water every couple of days for a deer. Sometimes the teeth will fall out but it's no big deal you can glue them right back in.

Comment

Try Goo Gone gel spray to de-fat. I'm doing a pig skull and it soaked over a week with Dawn and Oxyclean and was getting better but slowly. I sprayed the gel on, let it hang overnight, then put in the bucket to wash off, repeated the next night.

No nasty odor, and it has an orange odor itself.

The last few times I'm spraying with it, then bring in house and wash off with any grease in the shower with hot water. It only smells like orange.

The amount if fat in the bucket is obvious. Here's some pictures. Still work in process.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
            Just got my aquarium heater in my bucket... We will see if it helps.
            Bought a 150 w heater. Put it in yesterday. Checked it this morn and 85 degrees. Hoping it will get up to about 100 by lunch

Comment

I dont have a thermometer.... but it stunk WAY more and there was WAY more junk rising to the top of the bucket than the past few days without it...

I'd say its warmer but mine is not 100 degrees...

Mine came with zero instructions... I just stuck it in the bucket and plugged it in.... whats the little nipple on the top of the heater about?
              Last edited by Coach W; 11-30-2012, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Turned out great.

Comment

I dont have a thermometer.... but it stunk WAY more and there was WAY more junk rising to the top of the bucket than the past few days without it...

I'd say its warmer but mine is not 100 degrees...

Mine came with zero instructions... I just stuck it in the bucket and plugged it in.... whats the little nipple on the top of the heater about?
                  Couldn't tell ya. Mine has a little thermostat knob on it. Noticed it looked like the antlers were soaking up a little water.

I picked up a digital thermometer for about $10. That way I can see the temp without taking off the lid. Mercy it stinks when you do that. Put mine in an old trash can I had
                  Last edited by SPUD; 11-30-2012, 12:32 PM.

Comment

I finally finished mine. Just hung it on the wall.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Did you notice how loose the bones were when you took it out of the water?? I'm hoping they tighten back up when drying.

That little aquarium heater definitely did the trick. All clean in three days!!

Comment

That is pretty interesting, I'll have to try that.

Comment

Originally posted by SPUD View Post
                          Did you notice how loose the bones were when you took it out of the water?? I'm hoping they tighten back up when drying.

3 days? My aquarium heater must suck!!!

You put in rid x?

Comment

3 days? My aquarium heater must suck!!!

You put in rid x?

Nope. Put it in a 30 gal trash can with lid!

Comment

I didn't read through the whole thread so this might have been mentioned already. To whiten the skull place it in a tub I use small foil brisket pans. Wrap the skull in paper towels. Go get a few bottles of peroxide from the dollar store and pour them on the paper towel wrapped skull. Let it soak for 24 hrs. The peroxide will continue to wick up the towels keeping the skull saturated. After 24 hr period take the skull out and let it dry in the sun for a day. Voila bleach white skull.
                              Good job on the skull, looks good and saved your self a $100

Comment

Originally posted by SPUD View Post

The bones get loose because maceration removes all the muscle and connecting tissue. I've read that you can use Elmer's glue to tighten them back up if you need to. I just left mine the way it was, it's alittle loose in some spots but not enough that it's going to fall apart.

Comment

Working...
                                X