Stand (on Tailgate) and Fill Feeder idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stand (on Tailgate) and Fill Feeder idea

After seeing all of the Stand and Fill feeder builds on here it's got me thinking I want to build one..... this would be for a new lease in S. Tex that I wont be able to get to very often so I need more capacity. The feeder would be in a pen so I'm not too worried about pigs.

One difference, I am thinking about building a Double Barrel 600 pounder.

Two barrels stacked on top of each other with 2 feet of ground clearance from the bottom of the first barrel to the ground,

this should give me a total height of 8 feet at the lid. this is the perfect height for me to fill from my tailgate.

It would have a wide sled like the below, I would also drill holes in the sled and stake the feeder down.

What do yall think? Pros and cons?

Too Top Heavy?
    Attached Files

I don't have any actual experience with double stacked feeders, but I do eat double stiffed Oreos -- and I think both are excellent ideas. Go for it!

Comment

Sounds good dont see why not....lets build it.

Comment

I think its a great idea, please post pics of your build.

Comment

Only thought is would you widen the base some to help stabilize the extra height

Comment

Here's a thought build two one to throw in the am and one for PM that way they won't be as tall.

Comment

Chain hoist off large tree limb , lower to ground

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                Here's a thought build two one to throw in the am and one for PM that way they won't be as tall.
                Thought about that but didnt want to have the additional expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                  I think its a great idea, please post pics of your build.
                  Will do, won't be able to build for a while, won't have the feeders back from the ranch for a few weeks.

Comment

don't drill holes in the base. Build an anchor point onto it or figure out another way cuz water will get in and it will rust out the base pipe.

Comment

Triple check your weld, wet corn clogs up real quick.

Comment

When I went to two feeders,one in the AM and one in the PM, it has been the best decision I've made. If anything happens to one of them,the other keeps corn on the ground . The time to refill is doubled also since they are only feeding once a day.

Comment

Just buy another feeder....

Comment

Well after some thought on double barrel feeder on a sled base heres a little rough drawing came up with. On the lines of two barrels feeding in a.m. And one in the p.m. of course you would need two timers and feeders.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SLED FEEDER.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	24502749
                            Last edited by 2BigMethod; 07-20-2017, 09:31 AM.

Comment

that would eliminate haveing to weld the two berrels together and reduce chance of a leak

Comment

Working...
                              X