No announcement yet.

MesquiteCountry's Recipe thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these original recipes or have you modified them?

Comment

They are 99% mine or passed down through my family. There might be one or two that i got from someone and then modified them to put my little twist on it. I dont rip off other recipes. I love to cook and experiment. Everything i try i figure out how it's made and then I make it better. So no i did not rip them off of someone. I guess you could call me a "food tuner." Almost went to culinary school to become an executive chef but realized it was going to be around 50K for the school and decided it wasnt for me.

I looked back and the only one that isnt 100% mine is cheddar bisquits. i tweaked that one just a bit to suit my taste and to use some fresh herbs. i love cooking with fresh herb. flavor is unreal.

Comment

Crawfish Cream

Travis,
        I grilled some chili rubbed Mahi-Mahi tonight, we topped it with the crawfish cream. It was awesome!

You have done it once again.

Comment

Good Stuff !

My wife made us some of these the other day and they were great. Thanks for the recipe. Heres what they looked like.

Comment

now that's what i'm talking about thanks for the pics grillen joe

Comment

man i've got a bunch of recipes missing. I'll try to get them up monday.

Comment

MesquiteCountry’s
                Ginger Lemon Marinade Fish w/ Ginger Lemon Mango Salsa
                Just made this one up off the top of my head one night. It was awesome.

4-Fish Filets I prefer thick cut Wahoo, Amberjack, Tuna or you can use flounder or Catfish as well.
                2-Mangos
                5-Lemons
                1-Fresh Ginger Root
                1tb-Rice Wine Vinegar (optional)
                ¼ cup- White Wine (Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio)
                3-4 sprigs-Cilantro
                2T- Raw Cane Sugar or Brown Sugar
                Olive oil
                2T-Butter
                Flax Seed or Grape Seed oil (Optional)
                Salt & Pepper

First you’ll have to make the marinade. You’ll need to make this about 3 hours before you want to cook.
                First in a pan melt the butter. Then add in the juice of 4 lemons (remove seeds). Next add in the white wine. Bring to a simmer. Next peel back some of the ginger skin with a potato peeler then shave off some of the ginger about 7 or 8 good pieces into the sauce pan and add in the sugar. Let Simmer for about a minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat and place it into a bowl and into the freezer for about 10-15 minutes to cool it off.

Next season up both sides of fish with either flax seed/grape seed/olive oil and salt and pepper both sides lightly. Next pour the marinade over the fish in a Ziploc bag, remove as much air as possible and place it in the refrigerator for about an hour or two. Don’t do this overnight because it will break down the fish. Thicker cuts can last longer about 3 hours but thinner filets like catfish or flounder will only need about 30 minutes.

Next prepare the mango salsa.
                Peel the mangos and chop them into bite size pieces. Place them in a mixing bowl. Next slice in some pieces of ginger into the bowl. Zest one lime into the bowl and the juice of half of one of the lemons. Last add in the cilantro and rice wine vinegar (optional). Cover and refrigerate for thirty minutes.

Now remove the fish from the bag and pan sear or grill on the pit until fish is flakey.
                To plate add mango to the top of fish and serve.

Goes great with some white/brown rice with cilantro and grilled/sautéed vegetables.

Cook rice to instructions. At the last minute right before you serve the rice add about 1 sprig of cilantro for every ½ cup of dry rice.

MesquiteCountry’s Mom’s Fried Donut recipe with sweet glaze plus some other easy quick toppings.

1-Can of Flaky Biscuits

Cut a whole in the center of each biscuit. Save the whole for donut wholes at the end. Deep fry in canola oil until golden brown at about 300 degrees.

Glaze options
                Mom’s Icing
                ½ cup of Milk
                ¼ cup of Powdered Sugar

Heat milk in a saucepan until it is simmering and slowly add in powdered sugar. It is done when it coats the back of your spoon. Drizzle all over the top of your donuts.
                Or

Easy Chocolate Icing
                1 Can Milk Chocolate Cake Icing
                Heat in a microwave in the plastic container until it is runny. Stirring occasionally.
                Coat the tops of your donuts

Or

Cinnamon Sugar
                ¼ Cup Cinnamon
                ¼ cup Granulated Sugar

Combine in a bowl and then take your donuts and push down one side into the mixture and serve.

Lamb Recipes that I’ve concocted.

TommyH asked for these recipes so I thought I’d post them up.

Here are a few guidelines for lamb. I like to use really robust flavors and herbs. Rosemary, Sage, Basil, Mint or Garlic. NEVER EVER cook lamb chops past medium. I never cook mine past medium rare. The secret is cooking them fast on ultra high heat to sear the outside and keep the inside moist.

Garlic Smear Summer Recipe

6 garlic cloves coarse chopped
                ¼ onion coarse chopped
                1 sprig stem removed rosemary
                3 sprigs parsley chopped
                ¼ stick butter
                olive oil
                balsamic vinegar
                Salt & Pepper

In a sauté pan melt butter and add a Tablespoon of olive oil remove from heat for one minute. After one minute throw in the garlic, onion and onion. Return to low heat and let vegetables sweat. After one minute throw in the parsley and rosemary. Cook for one more minute. Pour all ingredients into a blender and chop. Add 1-2 tablespoons more or olive oil and about a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.

Next Salt and Pepper your Lamb Chops and then smear the spread liberally on both sides of your lamb chops. Sear the chops on the grill on high heat.

Serve with pan fried fresh green beans with about a tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.

rosemary baked potato wedges
                Preheat oven to 500 degrees. In a mixing bowl combine 2#'s red potatoes cut into cubes and 3 sprigs of rosemary destemmed and about 2 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Bake in the oven until golden brown.

Dressed Up Date night Lamb Chops

1 Cup Whole grain Mustard
                2 Tablespoons Molasses
                Dry Rosemary
                Dry Parsley
                Granulated Garlic Powder
                Bread Crumbs
                Salt & Pepper
                Canola Oil

Combine the molasses and mustard in a bowl. Coat the chops in whole grain mustard/molasses mixture and refrigerate them in a ziploc for an hour or two. Try to get some of the excess off of the chop add salt, pepper and do the following. Mix a teaspoon of rosemary, garlic, and parsley in 2 cups of regular bread crumbs. Coat the lamb chops with the bread crumbs on all sides. Pan sear them in canola oil hot and heavy. After pan frying until golden brown set them on a cookie rack to cool and let the oil drain off so the batter stays crisp. Serve with sautéed fresh Asparagus in 1/4 stick butter & a teaspoon of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. and also serve with my Mashed Sweet Potato recipe above.

For an added twist drizzle the following on top for a some extra flavor. I always add this. Do this about an hour of head of time and let it sit so it will cool slightly.
                Take a cup and a half balsamic vinegar and 1/4 cup of brown sugar and reduce it by half in a small stock pot. Drizzle it over the chops and serve. The flavor is unreal.

Mint Jelly Recipe (Classic Holiday Dish)

Small jar Mint Jelly
                Bourbon
                Worcestshire
                Hot Sauce
                Butter
                Salt & Pepper

Reduce some mint jelly in a sauce pan with 2 tablespoons butter and a couple of shots of bourbon whiskey and a dab of hot sauce and worcestshire. Cool it down in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. After chilling slightly pour the mixture over the salted and peppered chops in a ziploc and refrigerate for another hour. Grill them very fast on a hot grill and spoon the juice over the chops as you cook them. Serve with my sauteed garlic spinach above and butter new potatoes.

Comment

Dang, mesquitecountry! Just saw this thread. Great recipes and a family ranch with big deer....too bad you're a big ugly dude and I'm already married!

Got a good jerky recipe? I've got some really THIN slices of axis in the freezer that needs to be seasoned and smoked.

Comment

hi deer mount

Comment

*****, what's up chef boyardee??? I am gonna have to try some of these, they look great!!!

Comment

If I ever get time i'll post some more recipes. I've got quite a few more.

Comment

Let me work on a jerky recipe.

I need to do some calculations to an old one I have from my grandpa.

Comment

MC,
                            I tried out your chili recipe with a few mods and am happy to report that it was outstanding. I added a little more kick to it with some cayenne pepper and since my boy is half human and half potatoe he loved the fact that there were potatoes in there.

I'll admit that it was a little awkward throwing potatoes into chili but I found that they go really well with the chili. Using the cocoa is much easier than using a adobo or mole mix as well. Thanks for sharing this and keep them coming.

Did you mention Jerky.

Comment

Bay Scalllops!!!!!!!!!!

Okay so I know everyone sees those marshmallow looking things at the fish counter at your local grocery store.

Here is the quickest easiest best dang recipe i've ever concocted. Tried it for the first time tonight just pulling stuff out of the fridge.

I called this one.

Mesquite Country's Bay Scallops in Gulf Coast Gravy over Linguine (or any other noodle for that matter)!

By the way I made this dish lower fat than the original! Substituting lower fat creams and cheese! You wont know the difference! I promise!

Ingredients
                              1# Bay Scallops
                              5 Garlic Cloves Chopped finely (Garlic goes in 99% of my recipes!)
                              1/4 cup Fat Free Ricotta Cheese
                              1/2 cup Half&Half
                              Olive Oil
                              Salt and Pepper to taste
                              1/4 teaspoon flour
                              1/2 pound linguine (I prefer whole wheat for the health and flavor!)
                              Parsley (optional)

First start off by bringing the water for your noodles to a boil. Make sure to add some salt to the pot. Add noodles to pot. next heat a skillet with olive oil on medium high. Throw in the garlic cloves and saute for about 30 seconds to get the oils out of the garlic. Next throw in the scallops. Stir the pan every few seconds. After one minute throw in the ricotta cheese. Stir until it starts to melt. Then throw in flour. Next add half and half and bring to a light simmer. Add a dash of salt and pepper (the pepper makes it look like country style gravy hence the name!) Be very careful do not let the milk boil over or you could have a fire on your hands and milk does not taste good burned I promise. As soon as your sauce comes to a simmer reduce the heat to low and continue to stir until sauce thickens till it coats the back of a spoon without running off.

Strain your noodles and place them over the pot and let the final water drain back into the pot. DO NOT WASH Your NOODLES! This dish will fall apart! You need the starch to gel with the sauce!

Get yourself a heaping of noodles and ladle on the goodness that is bay scallop in a not to bad for you cream sauce! Not one ounce of butter was used and it tastes like sin! Last throw a little parsley on to sass it up!

Make it for a first date guys or gals! It's easy I promise. I guarantee the food wont have your date running for the door!

Oh by the way there's pics!

Click image for larger version

Name:	scallops.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	23824176

Click image for larger version

Name:	scallops2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	23824177

Comment

New Years Cabbage for hope of money!

New recipe on New years day right before I started to do my old standard of boiled cabbage I decided to jazz this year up!

I went to the fridge to see what I could find!

Mesquite Country's New years day Cabbage Saute Or it'll probably be good any time of year!

By the way this would be awesome on top of a fish taco!

Ingredients:
                                1 small head green cabbage cut in to 2x2 pieces (doesnt have to be exact)
                                1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
                                4 strips bacon cut into 1x1 squares
                                1 cup leftover champagne (an asti) or sparkling grape Juice (callie's pregnant this is what I used) you could also use a sweeter red wine like a muscat canelli
                                Salt and Pepper to taste
                                2 teaspoons olive oil

In a skillet saute the bacon on medium high. when it is just starting to turn brown pour in vinegar and olive oil. Immediately after dump in cabbage and saute till it starts to wilt and soften (approx 4 or 5 minutes) stirring every 30 or so seconds. it might take a couple of times to get all the cabbage in. After all the cabbage is in and wilted pour in champagne and reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for approximately 5 or so minutes when champagne starts to get sticky. Add salt and pepper to taste. Then serve. It will be a sweet/smokey/savory treat that definitely jazzes up boring run of the mill cabbage soup!

It was a gamble but man it turned out awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X