Loud bow/Heavy arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
    Not really sure what you said, but I just use inertia when I'm talking to my DA friends....they don't know the difference
    Non technical version.

You can't compare a 40lb bow to a 100lb bow because they put different amounts of energy into the arrow. If we standardize (make the same) the energy going into the arrow the kinetic energy coming out will be the same. This is because the same work was being done.

This way we are comparing the pure difference in momentum........not the difference between a 40lb bow and a 100lb bow.

Comment

My bows @ 63# with a 31.5" draw length.
      I used to keep my arrows at 420 grian max, 6 grains per pound draw weight. When I built them I was shooting daily so I was comfortable with 70# draw weight. I rarely shoot now so it's backed down to 63#.

I made some shots that should have ended better than they did. It left me unhappy with MY CHOICE of arrow build. I researched and texted a few things. I changed my build specs from.420 grain max.
      To.
      20% FOC.
      Fixed blade COC Broadhead.

Now they weigh in at 628 grains, if memory serves me.
      That could change cause I'm considering a micro diameter shaft.

Comment

I blew through many a deer with an old round wheeler shooting 30" XX75 2317's going 204fps.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
          I blew through many a deer with an old round wheeler shooting 30" XX75 2317's going 204fps.
          Been there, I have no idea how slow they were going but I will tell you a squirrel can get out of the way in the time it took it to go 10yds. Had to wait for them to hide their heads.

Comment

Outbreaker and Blackhogdown, I would love to share a campfire with you sometime! We could have some great conversations over a lot of different subjects on archery, bowhunting and what works best. Serious on this as I think we all think alike, but maybe coming in from different angles!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
              Outbreaker and Blackhogdown, I would love to share a campfire with you sometime! We could have some great conversations over a lot of different subjects on archery, bowhunting and what works best. Serious on this as I think we all think alike, but maybe coming in from different angles!
              I hear ya. We are all saying go heavy.....but not too heavy. It is really about getting the system you are shooting to be the most efficient possible.

Then blow the energy how you want. I was pushing 1.75" mechanicals and would still find them 30 yards the other side of a deer when shooting from the ground.

Comment

Momentum equals the mass (weight) times velocity
                Kinetic energy equals the mass times velocity times velocity (squared)

KE is used for the killing potential of firearms, since the transfer of energy from the bullet to the destruction of bone/ tissue/ organs is the primary way a bullet kills.

An arrow kills by exsanguination (blood loss) so tissue damage is of a lesser concern.

BUT, I'VE SEEN THIS DEBATED ON BOWHUNTING WEB SITES FOR OVER 20 YEARS.

Quiet is good. Quieter is better.

Comment

I'll play... When this debate is brought up, it is usually deer and hog hunters going back and forth between kinetic vs. momentum. With deer size game it's really not very crucial and the very most average set up is more than lethal. Matter of fact, a sharp broad head and perfect arrow flight will work even out of some of the lightest set ups on deer sized game. Now, move to large game such as bison, muskox, etc and you will immediately realize the importance of momentum. Kinetic energy is a marketing tool.

Comment

Pretty sure the Infinite Edge only goes to 30 inch DL, but aside from that, just shoot a ballpark 400 grain arrow and you will be quiet enough and fast enough to kill deer.
                    At some point, you might see that the riser will be compromised by the highest poundage and longest draw length for that bow.
                    The Infinite Edge was not specifically designed to be shot at it's extreme capability.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                      Pretty sure the Infinite Edge only goes to 30 inch DL, but aside from that, just shoot a ballpark 400 grain arrow and you will be quiet enough and fast enough to kill deer.

At some point, you might see that the riser will be compromised by the highest poundage and longest draw length for that bow.

The Infinite Edge was not specifically designed to be shot at it's extreme capability.

Mines the infinite edge pro if that makes a difference. I know it draws at max of 31" and pulls a hair shy of 70#. It's my first bow, but I plan to do some deer/hog hunting with it this year before buying a high dollar bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                        Momentum equals the mass (weight) times velocity
                        Kinetic energy equals the mass times velocity times velocity (squared)

KE is used for the killing potential of firearms, since the transfer of energy from the bullet to the destruction of bone/ tissue/ organs is the primary way a bullet kills.

An arrow kills by exsanguination (blood loss) so tissue damage is of a lesser concern.

BUT, I'VE SEEN THIS DEBATED ON BOWHUNTING WEB SITES FOR OVER 20 YEARS.

Quiet is good. Quieter is better.
                        So no tissues are damaged to cause the bleeding? This is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                          Mines the infinite edge pro if that makes a difference. I know it draws at max of 31" and pulls a hair shy of 70#. It's my first bow, but I plan to do some deer/hog hunting with it this year before buying a high dollar bow.

You are right, it does go to 31 inch DL.
                          Bow is really maxed.

Comment

Originally posted by samson33 View Post
                            I'll play... When this debate is brought up, it is usually deer and hog hunters going back and forth between kinetic vs. momentum. With deer size game it's really not very crucial and the very most average set up is more than lethal. Matter of fact, a sharp broad head and perfect arrow flight will work even out of some of the lightest set ups on deer sized game. Now, move to large game such as bison, muskox, etc and you will immediately realize the importance of momentum. Kinetic energy is a marketing tool.
                            So you are saying a 750gr arrow traveling at 100fps do better than a 250 gr arrow going 300fps?

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                              You are right, it does go to 31 inch DL.

Bow is really maxed.

Yes it is. I'm thinking of trying out the Hoyt XXL

Comment

What’s the vector Victor? I can’t add anything to what’s been said but don’t over think it. With your setup a deer will die at the end of a well shot sharp broadhead of your choosing.

Comment

Working...
                                X