Loud bow/Heavy arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
    You sound like a physicist. Please enlighten us. If memory serves correctly, KE and Momentum are'NT (edit) related. Difference being that momentum is a vector... quantity AND direction. NOT being a smart A, genuinely curious from a physics standpoint... bowhunting aside.

From a shooting standpoint, KE does sound like what we're after. "The amount of energy due to motion." Again, someone correct me if i'm wrong, isn't the "moment" changing every millisecond the arrow is in flight? Why do I care about the "moment" as long as my arrow is hitting where I'm aiming? Serious Q...
    KE was a term we used 20 years ago. Then some smart arse started using Momentum. Now if you use KE, someone will correct your stupid arse!
    Kinda like saying clips instead of magazines.

Still the same philosophy.....What's gonna do more damage.....a 100mph baseball or a 55mph bowling ball?

Hail, even some of the arrows sold today are called Kenetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
      KE was a term we used 20 years ago. Then some smart arse started using Momentum. Now if you use KE, someone will correct your stupid arse!

Still the same philosophy.....What's gonna do more damage.....a 100mph baseball or a 55mph bowling ball?

Lol Amen! Somebody with an actual physics background chimed in to remove "momentum" from the conversation because it does not apply. Lol Obviously people didn't read his response... or it went over their head. "Ding, Ding. winner"

Comment

The larger the cutting area the heavier total arrow weight should be for best penetration. I shoot a heavy arrow compared to most here for whitetail with total arrow weight of 565 grain (265fps) and haven't had any issues with string jump. I limited my shot distance on whitetail to no more than 25 yards. My bow is very quiet shooting this arrow weight compared to someone shooting a arrow at the minimum weight allowed to get more speed.

Heres a good read on KE vs Momentum
        When it comes to bowhunting, kinetic energy gets all the love. You can find scads of articles extolling its virtues and charts describing its professed impact.Momentum, by comparison, is the genius, recluse cousin few people talk about, but who has a cult following. It’s punk rock before that brand of music became main

Momentum is the key!!!

Comment

i hear alot of blab about speed ke bla bla
          i threw a heavy 10.8 gpi arrow on my mathews and it shoots slow but blows thru anything- it is very accurate so my vote is go heavy

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            You don't need to worry about penetration...at all.
            Speed is overrated so don't worry about that either. Just hunt and keep your shots on whitetail under 40 yds, 30 or less would be ideal
            ^^^^ this!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post

A 55mph bowling ball would have more initial energy imput into the system compared to a 100mph baseball. You are not measuring the actual energy difference.

A 100mph baseball would be compared to a 16mph bowling ball.

I would not want to get hit by either one and each will do the same amount of work as they both have a similar KE. Even though the momentums are massively different.

Comment

Lol Amen! Somebody with an actual physics background chimed in to remove "momentum" from the conversation because it does not apply. Lol Obviously people didn't read his response... or it went over their head. "Ding, Ding. winner"
                His physics is wrong though.......I teach physics.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                  I was referring to you as the physicist and agreeing with you, sir. Saying that people didn't read your initial response.

Comment

Somebody is about to get schooled! Where's my popcorn?

Comment

You sound like a physicist. Please enlighten us. If memory serves correctly, KE and Momentum are'NT (edit) related. Difference being that momentum is a vector... quantity AND direction. NOT being a smart A, genuinely curious from a physics standpoint... bowhunting aside.

From a shooting standpoint, KE does sound like what we're after. "The amount of energy due to motion." Again, someone correct me if i'm wrong, isn't the "moment" changing every millisecond the arrow is in flight? Why do I care about the "moment" as long as my arrow is hitting where I'm aiming? Serious Q...
                      KE is also a vector quantity. Momentum is as well. They measure 2 totally different things though.

Comment

KE is also a vector quantity. Momentum is as well. They measure 2 totally different things though.
                        Ahh I see the confusion. "You sound like a physicist" = Sarcasm.

Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

A 55mph bowling ball would have more initial energy imput into the system compared to a 100mph baseball. You are not measuring the actual energy difference.

A 100mph baseball would be compared to a 16mph bowling ball.

I would not want to get hit by either one and each will do the same amount of work as they both have a similar KE. Even though the momentums are massively different.
                          Not really sure what you said, but I just use inertia when I'm talking to my DA friends....they don't know the difference

Comment

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Especially since your at 70# 31” draw, I know for the deer I hunt there’s no need to go heavy. I’ve never shot a deer and not had a pass through, with a light or heavy setup.

Just shoot whatever you are confident in, make a good shot with a sharp head and everything will work out.

Comment

I did a little testing going from light to heavy arrows. You will reach a point with a still viable arrow where KE will barely increase, but momentum will still rise. Several positives are there when looking at momentum and not KE. Increasing momentum will give you a heavier arrow, quieter bow, but slower speeds. My heavier arrows also gave ME more forgiveness and more accuracy at longer shot distances. Biggest problems you will run into is when you start going to heavier arrow and trying to increase the FOC, your arrow spine is going to come into question and could very well make the arrow almost impossible to tune. Heavier arrows have a lot of positives, but also some negatives. When I went to 150 grains heavier with a drastic increase in FOC I had to go from a 350 spine to a 250 spine.

Comment

Long read but gives good logic behind momentum and KE.

Comment

Working...
                                X