Dry Ice for game???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Ice for game???

I didn't want to hijack the other thread and did a quick search on here without success...anyone here use dry ice instead of regular ice to cool down game?

I have always used regular ice to cool down game since I don't have access to a walk-in cooler but it got me to thinking...dry ice sublimates at a rate of 5-10lbs per 24 hours. On a typical weekend hunt you'd need 25-30# max. At $1.36 (currently) per lb you're looking at $30-40 to keep deer cool in the field without all the mess of regular wet ice. Anyone done this or have reasons NOT to do this?

I have no idea personally but would it "burn" the meat if it touches it?

Comment

Originally posted by GarrettH View Post
      I have no idea personally but would it "burn" the meat if it touches it?
      I thought about that but people are already using spacers in coolers to keep game out of puddling water. You'd simply pack the ice under the spacers.

Comment

$40 buys a lot of plain old ice.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post

Yep, exactly what i was thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well icing meat typically won't cool it enough to freeze hard. Dry ice probably would. And don't let the dry ice have direct contact with the meat.

Comment

I have used it transporting meat back from out of state hunts. I just wrapped the block in burlap ant towels before putting the meat on it. My nephew had an issue last year using it in a yeti it blew out his drain from the pressure from the blood coming in contact with the dry ice.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                In the hill country I've seen plain old ice go for $5/20# bag...still cheaper but it's getting up there in cost. When you figure you may go through 60-80# of ice in a weekend it's almost a wash at those costs. Cost goes out the window when you figure how many people spend $500-$1000+ just on their coolers
                Last edited by JonBoy; 10-11-2018, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                  I thought about that but people are already using spacers in coolers to keep game out of puddling water. You'd simply pack the ice under the spacers.
                  That's kinda what I was envisioning after thinking about it

Comment

I have. it works great. i just used towels to separate the game - the ice is prepacked in a plastic liner anyway to protect you while handling. with a decent cooler, it will last a long time too.

Comment

I haven't used it for meat, but for other purposes. I learned that if you want to keep things cold, you put the dry ice on the bottom. If you want to keep things frozen you put the dry ice on top. I learned this the hard way with a 12 pack of bottles. Worst disaster in history. Entire 12 pack ruined. All the bottles frozen and shattered. #beerbottlelivesmatter

Comment

I've used it a few times on the way back from out of state hunts. Put the dry ice in the bottom to keep cool, above to freeze.

Also, If you know your packing in for a few days you can prep and load down with wet ice then throw 5-10lbs of dry ice on top to make it last while your gone. A bit of the combo would probably work for what you want to do also.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                          In the hill country I've seen plain old ice go for $5/20# bag...still cheaper but it's getting up there in cost. When you figure you may go through 60-80# of ice in a weekend it's almost a wash at those costs. Cost goes out the window when you figure how many people spend $500-$1000+ just on their coolers
                          Don't start another cooler argument.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                            I haven't used it for meat, but for other purposes. I learned that if you want to keep things cold, you put the dry ice on the bottom. If you want to keep things frozen you put the dry ice on top. I learned this the hard way with a 12 pack of bottles. Worst disaster in history. Entire 12 pack ruined. All the bottles frozen and shattered. #beerbottlelivesmatter

ha ha I ccan see myself doing this great tip thank you .. I use cans though had a few bottles break in the past its a mess in the cooler for sure

Comment

Working...
                            X