Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Savage Model 99

Howdy,
    I've always liked the look of the old Savage 99s, and have even come close to buying a couple until I found out that they had non-matching barrels and receivers. An elderly family friend gave me quite a shock when he gave me his 99 that he had owned since he was a teen growing up in Gunnison, Co. He said he's lost count of the deer and elk taken with the old rifle. I found a place on-line that dates it to 1937-38. It's obviously well used, but in pretty good shape. Chamber in .300 Savage. Should it handle recently manufactured ammo, or should I load some milder stuff and see how it does? Not great pics, sorry. Thanks,
    Attached Files

ive got one that shoots new factory stuff just fine
    its from the early 60s tho
    but if you've got everything you need to reload....why not???

Comment

I'm not sure when my .300 savage model 99 is from, but it's from my great grandpa and it shoots Remington factory loads just fine. Love that gun but I do not use it much. The only thing about mine is the internal mag spring is a big sticky but it still works pretty good. But you talk about a fun gun to shoot. Does not kick hard at all and it's really not very loud either as it has a fairly long barrel on it.

Comment

For a lever action, it's plenty stout. If it's in as good a shape as it looks, fire away. I have one just like it.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Pretty pumped!

Comment

I also have the same rifle I am shooting hornady 150 gr great shooting guns.

Comment

Great rifle that is fast becoming a collector item. I’ve owned both a .243 and a 308 model 99 and sold them both. Wish I would have held on to the .308 for sure.

Comment

I shoot the factory Remington out of mine

Comment

cool! I've got one from the early 50s.
                  It ought to shoot factory loads just fine. Being an older open sight lever gun, reloading for it doesn't make any sense unless you just want to, in which case it makes perfect sense.
                  Shoot me a PM if you want to try some lighter hand loads... I'm already set up for .300 Savage.

Comment

pretty sure the 300 savage was never hot loaded out of the factories,,, there won't be a problem with any factory ammo you find,,, not to mention the savage 99 was and is a pretty stout rifle,,,

Comment

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot factory loads at all. The .300 SAV loads have been the same for years. If you are concerned, you can have a gunsmith check it out, or even reach out to Savage and see what they say...

Comment

I had one from the same time frame and it shot everything fine

Comment

The 300 Savage is a mild load like the 30/30. You should be able to shoot any ammo available for it. The 150gr load is the most popular.
                          I have one made in 1923 in .300 Savage. One of my most cherished guns.
                          Enjoy yours. Great lever gun.

Comment

Thanks again for all the replies!

Comment

I have a Savage 99C (detachable box magazine) in .308 Winchester that is an extremely accurate piece. It will shoot cloverleaf groups at 100 yards from a rest without problems. The .300 Savage was the parent cartridge of the .308 Winchester, and in my opinion, there is no real difference in performance between the two. Congratulations on a classic rifle that should serve you well.

Regards,

Dave
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X