No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! He was a big dude and a protein hog.

Comment

We shot 3 more does over the past two days. Bucks are still chasing hard. Put 1,700lbs of protein out to help these bucks recover. fed the roads a lot for the does and fawns. Bought a couple of bags (25lbs.) of Whole peanuts and put it out in front of our cameas to see how the deer like them. Hopefully we can shoot two more does and meet our quota for the year (9 does). My buddy brought us 900lbs of cottonseed and we put it into our bulk bags. We will start putting out the cottonseed around the end of this month to help these deer recover from the rut.

We got 0.90in of rain out there and the elbon Rye is starting to sprout and come up. Hopefully the field will start filling out and the plot grows well over the next two weeks since the temps will be anywhere from 40-70 degrees.

It got down to 22 degrees on Friday morning and suprisingly it was a very slow morning. The deer were moving like crazy from 10am to dark though. A lot of deer feeding in the roads around 3pm. Didn’t see any older bucks over the past two days, just a bunch of yearlings and 2.5yr old bucks. The big boys are still out there chasing.
      Last edited by bgleaton; 12-09-2017, 12:19 PM.

Comment

We will be out there this next week trying to shoot two to three more does to hit our yearly quota (9-10 does total) and fill up the cottonseed feeders to help these post-rut bucks and help these does/fawns. We will continue to put out around 300lbs of protein on the roads around the gun blinds for the does, fawns and young bucks. I’m a big believer that feeding the roads really helps these younger deer since a 3.5/4.5yr old buck can dominate a feeder and keep the younger deer from getting a bite.

Going to also try to call in and shoot some coyotes this week as well. We bought a Primos Dog Catcher a month or so ago and I can’t wait to try it out. I’ve never done any electronic coyote calling. If anyone has any tips on calling in coyotes, I’d love to hear them (i.e. time to call, calling from a deer blind, wind direction, etc.).

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Comment

2018 Update

We were able to shoot two more does this past weekend to get our total to 8 does harvested and three bucks for the year. For the bucks, our goal is to shoot 1 "shooter" per year, if there is a "shooter." We shot a 3.5yr old 6pt with no brow-tines, a 7.5yr old 11pt that's been going down-hill in terms of health and an old 8pt that was a protein hog.

We had a new 11pt come in and after looking at our cameras it seems he has come in and taken over since we removed the big 8pt. We think he is around 4.5yrs and are hoping he gets another couple of years to grow.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	16 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	24525855

Name:	18 (Medium).jpg
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	24525856

The food plots don't look great, but there is a lot of elbon rye growing everywhere and it's about an inch tall:

Name:	4 (Medium).jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	24525857

It was super cold. We got around 1/10th inch of snow on New Year's Eve which was pretty cool for the kids to see:

Name:	9 (Medium).jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	24525858

Name:	7 (Medium).jpg
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	24525859

We increased our timed protein feeders to be open from 5am to 8am and from 4pm to 8pm. We also filled all of the cottonseed feeder baskets and put out around 1,000lbs of cottonseed to help put the weight back on.

Name:	10 (Medium).jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	24525860
          Last edited by bgleaton; 01-02-2018, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Looking great thanks for the updates

Comment

Trail Cam Pictures

Here are some recent trail cam pictures from one of our concrete water troughs:

Name:	IMG_0172 (Medium).jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	24526146

Name:	IMG_0210 (Medium).jpg
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	24526147

Name:	IMG_0556 (Medium).jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	24526148

Name:	IMG_0631 (Medium).jpg
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	24526149

Name:	IMG_0733 (Medium).jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	24526150

Name:	IMG_0684 (Medium).jpg
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	24526151

Lots of coyote pictures...we need to do some calling next time we're out there and see if we can shoot a couple.

Comment

More Trail Cam Pictures

More pictures from SE corner:

The 1st two pictures are of a 2.5/3.5yr old typical 12pt. We are excited to watch this buck grow for hopefully another 3 years:

This is the biggest doe I have ever seen for our county (Menard). I wouldn't think she'd be showing this quickly but ****...
                Last edited by bgleaton; 01-05-2018, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Love that big 8 your brother killed

Comment

Thanks for letting us follow along on your progress
                    And the orogress is impressive. That 144 lb 8 pt.is quite a trophy.
                    Thanks for the photos.
                    Hope the rain hits you this year.

BP

Comment

We got an inch of rain out there over the last 24-hours. I’m hoping that will start some good forage growth and things really start getting green down there. I hope to have some pictures this weekend.

Comment

Glad to hear it! Things should really explode vegetatively now.

Comment

Good Luck this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                            We got an inch of rain out there over the last 24-hours. I’m hoping that will start some good forage growth and things really start getting green down there. I hope to have some pictures this weekend.

Comment

Well if nothing else you should be able to shoot a turkey or two. Place is looking great. You guys have a great place and enjoyed working out there and hopefully did some good towards your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by b.a.saha View Post
                                Well if nothing else you should be able to shoot a turkey or two. Place is looking great. You guys have a great place and enjoyed working out there and hopefully did some good towards your goals.
                                The strips of cedars you mulched has made a huge difference. Not only are our gun blinds more fun to hunt out of bc of all the viewing lanes but native grasses, Forbs and browse are all coming up in these sendaros. The deer, quail and turkey love the new strips you made. I’m sure we will probably have you come out next year and do another 5 days of mulching. You did great work. I’ll post some pictures this weekend to show you what everything looks like. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                                X