No announcement yet.

Saving Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm always amazed at how much money people spend on TV, i.e cable or satellite.

That is a good area to cut spending, while freeing up a lot of time too.

Comment

Congrats, every bit helps!

Comment

Look at your electricity contract, I was able to shave quite a bit when I looked at what I actually used and shopped around.

Cut the cord on cable.... ( many threads on that)

Pay attention to old food you are throwing out. Some people have no idea how much money they waste throwing out expired/old food.

Car maintenance stuff, trying to do most of it yourself. Especially oil changes, those are super easy and IMO actually faster by the time you drive to place, wait, and drive back home.

Check for prices of general stuff you buy at the store, online. There are times you can get certain products shipped to your house cheaper than buying at the store. That saves time + money. (think about the cost of the trip as well -- gas, wear and tear on the car, risk of door dents, etc. etc.)

I am assuming you do yardwork yourself? (or your son!)

Before you buy stuff, GOOGLE it!! It is shocking how frugal people are out there. There are an insane amount of ways to save money. One slightly odd one that comes to mind is teeth whitener strips. Those are EXPENSIVE. Well guess what, you can gargle hydrogen peroxide and get the same thing done for pennies on the dollar. (yes, hydrogen peroxide is an oral debridging agent -- it is right on the bottle)

Comment

Originally posted by wags View Post
          Nope, I stayed with AT&T. And nope to the insurance also. I had USAA, and I don't think they are in the business of "hosing" their clients. Trust me, I was making sure I was comparing "apples to apples" when it came to coverage.
          So you stayed with the same companies and same coverage / services. What did you do to get the savings?

Comment

Nope, I stayed with AT&T. And nope to the insurance also. I had USAA, and I don't think they are in the business of "hosing" their clients. Trust me, I was making sure I was comparing "apples to apples" when it came to coverage.

If thats really true, no drop in coverages, etc. that screams that theyve been hosing you for years and years and are just now dropping your rates "because youre a loyal customer" to keep you on the books

Seen it happen way too many times since ive been an insurance agent. Now I cancel peoples policies for them if they switch to my company.

Other variables would be if they excluded your daughter if shes going away to college and not taking a car with her.

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
              What's the downside to this? Are you still going to have a smart phone with data plan?
              Same smartphones if you have AT&T just get new SIM cards or you can get new phones they offer. The plans you see online include all fees so if you choose the $40 plan you pay $40. Plus if you go over the data plan you choose they dont charge you for another Gig the just slow your service like from 4G to 3G until new cycle starts is what i understand.

I told AT&T i was moving over to save since they could not lower /match the rate. I told the girl they run off your towers anyway she said true but AT&T customers calls get preference if tower is full. Don't think that is the case but ill take that chance with all the towers over lapping in coverage I'm not worried. Worst that can happen is call drops and you call them back.

My BIL has been on for a few months now loves it.
              Last edited by justintyme8303; 07-13-2017, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Come on with it!

Comment

So who did you go with because I have USAA for both of our cars, house and valuable personal property and they sent me a letter last month that they my rates are going up even though we haven't had any claims

I've been with USAA for 17 years but I'm shopping for new companies

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
                    Same smartphones if you have AT&T just get new SIM cards or you can get new phones they offer. The plans you see online include all fees so if you choose the $40 plan you pay $40. Plus if you go over the data plan you choose they dont charge you for another Gig the just slow your service like from 4G to 3G until new cycle starts is what i understand.

I told AT&T i was moving over to save since they could not lower /match the rate. I told the girl they run off your towers anyway she said true but AT&T customers calls get preference if tower is full. Don't think that is the case but ill take that chance with all the towers over lapping in coverage I'm not worried. Worst that can happen is call drops and you call them back.

My BIL has been on for a few months now loves it.
                    You convinced me. My wife will be tougher to convince

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                      So who did you go with because I have USAA for both of our cars, house and valuable personal property and they sent me a letter last month that they my rates are going up even though we haven't had any claims

Did your home value with tax office go up? I have heard alot of people saying their policy went up and when they call to ask why it was due to that. They are adjusting the coverage to cover the new value is all i can figure.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post

Somebody has to pay for his cut in fees!

Seriously though, spill the beans. I'm curious how you saved that much at ATT alone.

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
                          Did your home value with tax office go up? I have heard alot of people saying their policy went up and when they call to ask why it was due to that. They are adjusting the coverage to cover the new value is all i can figure.
                          It went up a little from that but there should be no reason for my car insurance or the vpp policy to increase

Comment

taking the kids off the plan maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post

Seriously though, spill the beans. I'm curious how you saved that much at ATT alone.
                              He must be running the numbers again!

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post

He is only saving 33 a moth if you call and say your gonna switch i bet they can lower your bill that much. In my case they said no way can we lower your bill by 180 a month to match Cricket.

Normally with AT&T the additional lines are like 40 a month its the main line that cost the most. The key is talk to customer retention they have way more power than the reg customer service. I did it last year told them im going to sprint they gave a me a $25 credit per line. We have 5 lines so lowered my bill 125 a month! When I called this time the rep could see my $25 credit and it had no expatiation date and was amazed they could even do that.
                                Last edited by justintyme8303; 07-13-2017, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X