Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead buck

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
    That sucks. I hunted that area last week and didn't see it. I hope his dad and brothers are still around that area. I will be up there tomarrow. Were abouts near Yugua? Ill take a pic of it.
    *** I was scouting on Sept. 21 I talked to the game warden Sophie and she said a squirrel hunter had seen a 10 pt on the SE corner near the Yegua where it crosses 132/124. **** If you are coming from 60 onto 132 at the corner store, when you pass 133 look for it about 75 yds or so on your left(East side of road). If you pass the curve you have gone too far. If you have time and can stand the stinch, verify my size estimate. Also, I could not tell if it had a G4 on the rhs of the body(it was covered with skin and guts). I did not realize that Somerville deer had this potential. This would be a real trophy on public land for $48.00. This is our first year on public land and my 12 yr olds 1st bow season. I have been debating how I would tell him"...that nice buck is just out of your range, I guess I 'll have to shoot it." It would be such a thrill to watch him take a deer this year.*** I just got these pics in from where I hunt in Ill.
    Attached Files

Comment

Yeah Somerville can grow them! I have seen some nice 130-140 class deer come off private land not too far ~20 miles

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Miller View Post
        I use a multitude of stands from a Lone Wolf lock on w/ climbing sticks to a Tree Saddle w/ climbing sticks.
        Since I've been hunting LBJ for so many years I know from which area I'm going to hunt which type of stand I'm going to use.
        Some places I might not get but 6-8 feet off the ground and some I"ve been as high as 30'.....it's tough on an old fat man when you climb that high!
        Only twice have I ever used a climber out there. I just don't find them practical for most of the areas and I've never had any luck with pop ups.
        I can see where they'd be useful if you could leave them out and brush them in for a longer period of time but they'd have to be well hidden or you're leaving them out for the thieves and lowlifes.
        Thanks Pat, the Lone Wolf lock on and sticks is what I use when people invite me out for a day or two on their property. It sets up fast and is a nice stand. I may go set a tree out at LBJ this year. Did a ton of bird hunting there a few years ago and found some nice creek banks...

Comment

Originally posted by Need4speed1 View Post
          *** I was scouting on Sept. 21 I talked to the game warden Sophie and she said a squirrel hunter had seen a 10 pt on the SE corner near the Yegua where it crosses 132/124. **** If you are coming from 60 onto 132 at the corner store, when you pass 133 look for it about 75 yds or so on your left(East side of road). If you pass the curve you have gone too far. If you have time and can stand the stinch, verify my size estimate. Also, I could not tell if it had a G4 on the rhs of the body(it was covered with skin and guts). I did not realize that Somerville deer had this potential. This would be a real trophy on public land for $48.00. This is our first year on public land and my 12 yr olds 1st bow season. I have been debating how I would tell him"...that nice buck is just out of your range, I guess I 'll have to shoot it." It would be such a thrill to watch him take a deer this year.*** I just got these pics in from where I hunt in Ill.

Thats a heck of a deer from Illinois!! Gotta love the mid-west. Im leaven for missouri in 38 days. Im leaven this afternoon for Somerville so Ill take a look at that dead buck.

Comment

seen lots of squirrels but no deer yet on the sam

Comment

Only "Bucks" I saw were the two I had left in my wallet after buying gas, food, and ice...LOL Heck even free hunting land is getting expensive...! Did see a couple of deer though in the unit next to the tree that faces West along side the creek that runs North and South up by the old pond. Man he was a monster had a horn on one side and the other, saw him running as fast as he could out on some private land. Was going to try a Roger Staubach shot (hail merry) but thought I should let it pass and grow at least one more horn. Could be a shooter next season if he makes it through the gun season.

Will be out there this coming weekend hunting in the unit at Tadra point, hope to see some one out there.

Comment

Hey buckado maybe I will see you out there.

Comment

I will be in a pick up quickstrike around Cottonwood lake camping, ohh yeah it's a red Toyota Tacoma.

Comment

Will be looking for you 2 Im in a dark blue '96 GMB with a camper shell looks like Davey Crocketts out for now for me.

Comment

Well I am in a lifte green chevy pickup shortbed I might go tommorow I have to talk to my wife.

Comment

Crod888, Give me a hollar, I went down to granger. MAAAAAAN! It's that time of year. Me and a buddy went out. We saw alot of activity, unfortunately, we whacked none. I am going to go bait up Thursday and friday. I will be in a pop-up blind staurday morning around 5:30 waiting til it's release time. I will post pics.

Comment

Was at Somerville yesterday and didn't see a thing. Prolly not gonna go out till Holloween in hopes that cooler weather will usher thru and nock down some of the foilage out there. Wow is it thick. I was out at #5

Comment

Dead buck

Crod

Did you see that dead buck. I was out at 3 and Nails on Thursday and they had mowed the ditches and the buck was gone. Saw 2 does and lots of tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4speed1 View Post
                              Crod

Did you see that dead buck. I was out at 3 and Nails on Thursday and they had mowed the ditches and the buck was gone. Saw 2 does and lots of tracks.
                              I didn't make it out that way, spent most of the day checking new areas around 5. Hadn't hunted there yet so i thought I'd spend time looking. I talked to a Conservation Officer who stopped me and he said that there is alot more deer down on Nails this year then in the past and that Yugua creek has been slow as far as deer sightings? Idk what to do? The trials of hunting public land. How come you did'nt shoot one of the does?

Comment

Swa

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
                                I didn't make it out that way, spent most of the day checking new areas around 5. Hadn't hunted there yet so i thought I'd spend time looking. I talked to a Conservation Officer who stopped me and he said that there is alot more deer down on Nails this year then in the past and that Yugua creek has been slow as far as deer sightings? Idk what to do? The trials of hunting public land. How come you did'nt shoot one of the does?
                                Just out of range. My 12 yr old is trying to get his 1st bow kill and I wanted to give him every opportunity. I am going ti Ill. in 4 weeks and will have my chance then. But it would be nice to have some fresh meat in the freezer. Like to nail a hog also. Any recommendations there?

Comment

Working...
                                X