Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who/where to go for help? (Beginners Guide Volume III)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with trad bow

If you are ever in the Bryan,College Station,I will help you.Eddie.Hands on help is always better than reading or watching.

Comment

I like these threads. I have to say trad shooters have been some of the most helpful and giving of their time when I was (and still am) learning the art.

Comment

Hello, I'm new to shooting a recurve, I have hunted with a compound for many years. I'm looking for some advice on arrow selection, I have found the local archery shops to not know or carry alot.

I have a Samik Sage 50 @ 28, I draw about 27 probably. I bought a half dozen carbons, Carbon Express Predators 30/50 s. The guy @ West Houston archery where I got them suggested leaving them 30". I have 125 field points. They seem to fly pretty good.

I have found all of it very confusing, should I add weight tubes ? Different arrows ? Are these heavy enough for good penetration on a deer ? I appreciate any help.

Thank you,

Joe

Comment

Have you shot any broadheads yet? If not you will want to shoot a few to confirm that you are shooting the correct arrows.
          As far as arrow weight, I have killed a lot of animals in the past with a similar setup. However a heavier arrow will improve penetration. Any weight you add to your current arrows will affect their spine.
          Since you are in Houston you may want to go by Viking. They have a program that will provide you arrow recommendations based on the specs you provide.

Comment

A good start is gold tip 3555s.....

Comment

Can someone recommend a trad shop in the Beaumont area? I am new to the board and the sport I would like to get a bow. I have read some good reviews on the Sage for a first bow but am afraid that with my draw length 30 plus inches it might not work for me.

Comment

I don't know of any trad shops and Fannet has a club with several trad shooters. I'd look there. Check out 3riversarchery.com

Comment

Hi, im new to both the forum and bowhunting. Hunting is my main reason for my interest in archery but I am leaning more toward traditional shooting than compound bows. I have my hunting grounds secured, now I am looking for a bow. I have been to Bass Pro and talked to a gentleman there about recurves. I have looked at a PSE coyote and a martin jaguar. I liked both of them, maybew the coyote a little more. The guy at the shop told me because of my size (I'm 6'9") I would not need to have more than a 40 - 45 lbs bow because the length of my draw would have me shooting faster on a 40 or 45 than somebody with shorter arms would shoot on a 50# bow.
                  I was telling all this to my father in law who is also just getting into bow hunting but decided to go the compound route. He got to talking to the guy at the range where he shoots who sold him his thousand dollar bow, and this guy told my FIL that it might be dangerous for me to shoot a recurve because my draw length could cause the bow to break. Now I can imagine the damage a bow drawn that tight might do when it breaks. But still I wonder why the guy at BPS would even let me shoot one if there was a danger of breaking and hurting me.
                  I realize both guys are trying to sell me something. What I need to know is which one to believe...

Comment

Welcome to the fire! Somebody with more experience (maybe even one of our resident bowyers) will chime in but here's the deal as I understand it. If you have an really long draw length you need a longer bow. For example, drawing a 64" bow back to 32" will be easier and give you better performance than trying to draw a 58" bow to 32". A bow too short for your draw length will likely present stacking and other potential problems. I would go see or at least call a bow maker (Like Bob Sarrels, a site sponsor) and explain your situation. By the way, you might start over and post this as a new thread in the trad forum - I think you will get more responses (the last post on this thread prior to yours was back in May)
                    Last edited by jerp; 08-07-2012, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Hello SixForty!

I am going into my eighth month shooting traditional, a recurve for that matter. Before I had shoot compounds for more than a decade since I was about 6 or 7. I can tell you shooting tradition is a lot more fun and challenging. I wish I had taken it p earlier. I don't have much advice beginning that I am new but I am sure the people around here can give you great advice especially about your potential draw length at your height which I imagine is long. I am sure there are bows out there that are safe for you to shoot and individuals who could custom make you a bow. If were you I'd find some tradition shooters in your area and have a talk with them. They could help point you in the right direction. Best of luck to you and I hope you decide to stick with the trad route. It is far more rewarding in my opinion.

ttt

Comment

I'm inexperienced, too, but like Jerp said, with your height, I'm assuming you probably have a much longer draw length than most and would require a longer bow. Most recurves and longbows have a draw weight measured at 28" of draw. The further past that point, the higher the draw weight, usually around 2 to 3 pounds per inch. Also, the further you draw a bow, the more acute the angle of the string becomes, especially with shorter bows, which can result in something known as "finger pinch." The longer the bow, the less "finger pinch" you'll experience since the angles of the bowstring when drawn won't be as pronounced as with a shorter bow.

Also, even though most bows have their draw weight measured at 28" of draw length, they can usually stand to be drawn a bit more than 28", but not much more before they break. So like your FIL said, it can be a problem if the bow was not made and/or designed to be drawn past a certain draw length before risking breakage. If I were you, I'd get a custom bow made by a professional bowyer who knows your draw length. That may be a more expensive route than buying a mass-produced bow like the PSE, but at least you'll get a bow that will be made for your added draw length which, at 6'9" of height, I'm assuming may be much longer than most folks' draw lengths. Bob Sarrels of Sarrels Archery is one bowyer here in Texas who goes highly recommended from many here on this forum who have his bows. He's in Austin, though, which I realize is a bit of a drive from where you're at in Arlington.

Anyway, if you go to the 3Riversarchery.com website and go to the section on arrow shaft selection, there should be a webpage that helps explain how to measure draw length for traditional shooting. I usually put a clothespin a few inches down the shaft from the point and draw the arrow with the clothespin on. The clothespin will then hit the back of the riser (the part of the bow facing away from you as you draw) and will move along the shaft until you come to full draw and anchor. Afterwards, I measure from where the clothespin stopped along the shaft to the nock end of the shaft to get an idea of my draw length. I do this a few times and then average it out. At 6' tall, my draw length when I first started was around 27.5". After working on proper form, though, I've managed to increase my draw to around 28". I've heard of others being able to gain an inch or more, though. So that's just something to take into account when you first measure your draw length.

Either way, welcome to trad!

Comment

If you want to learn how to shoot a traditional bow quickly and the right way, call me. Moe Monsarrat 512-769-0680 (email: moemonsarrat@ymail.com) Austin area. I can save you a lot of time. The only requirement is that you have your own equipment.
                          Last edited by moe monsarrat; 09-17-2012, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I really want to thank all of you for the advancement of my recurve skills. I have shot compounds since I was about 16, I'm forty-five now, and for the past two years have bought recurves off ebay and three months ago bought a Samick.
                            Thanks to Bowkill alone I set my brace height at 8 1/4" instead of 5 1/2" (due to falsehoods on the interwebs) and found "the sweet spot" immediately.
                            I forgot how important and helpful this place was due to my dependency on the compound world.
                            Thanks again, everyone

Comment

Originally posted by STATON View Post
                              I really want to thank all of you for the advancement of my recurve skills. I have shot compounds since I was about 16, I'm forty-five now, and for the past two years have bought recurves off ebay and three months ago bought a Samick.
                              Thanks to Bowkill alone I set my brace height at 8 1/4" instead of 5 1/2" (due to falsehoods on the interwebs) and found "the sweet spot" immediately.
                              I forgot how important and helpful this place was due to my dependency on the compound world.
                              Thanks again, everyone
                              Staton, were you on tbh back in 2004 or so? Good to see you on here again. I used to be fugitivehunter on here

Comment

Hey, Chew good to see you. I was wondering who was still around.

Comment

Working...
                                X