No announcement yet.

Canning Salsa - Step by step with Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I pretty much do it the same way. the only thing I do different is add a big can of tomato paste while I cook it on the stove. I put of 5 cases of pint jars this year

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
      So do you boil for 15 or bring it to a boil then kill it and cover for 15?
      Bring it to a boil and then time for 15 minutes. It has to boil for the entire 15 minutes. Or 30, or 45, or however long you want in order to feel safe.

Comment

My grandmother didn't water bath at all. Put hot mixture into hot jars and turned upside down on the counter. Didn't hurt us

Comment

Roast those maters first!!!

You won't regret it.

Comment

so you inspired me to make salsa last night. do you put them in the fridge or leave them out?

Comment

Well done presentation. I am now duly inspired. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                Bring it to a boil and then time for 15 minutes. It has to boil for the entire 15 minutes. Or 30, or 45, or however long you want in order to feel safe.
                Thats what I figured. 15 is just fine by me
                Todl the wife about this so looks like we'll be giving it a whirl!

Comment

Thanks for the recipe, looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
                    so you inspired me to make salsa last night. do you put them in the fridge or leave them out?
                    I store them in an interior closet. Chill before serving.

Comment

On a scale of 1-10 and 10 being hottest, where does this exact recipe place

also darn good job on the whole presentation you done

Comment

Originally posted by DPElite View Post
                        On a scale of 1-10 and 10 being hottest, where does this exact recipe place

also darn good job on the whole presentation you done
                        The batch shown in the photos, in addition to the Jalapenos and Serranos, has four Habaneros and three Ghost Peppers. Let's just say, I'm probably going to be the only one eating this batch, and I'll need some ice cream later on! In other words, an 11! Those Ghost peppers don't play around.

Thanks!

Comment

Gloves are for wimps.

I definitely use them. Jalepenos dont burn bad, but the first time I used habaneros without gloves, I woke up in the middle of the night with my fingers burning. The next day they were okay until I went outside and started to sweat and they went to burning again.

Your ingredients look about like mine except i dont use as much vinegar. I will have to try the lemon and celantro.

Comment

I wear contacts. I have to wear gloves. The first time I forgot. Never again!!!

I know about the burning when you start to sweat. I dehydrate my excess peppers. I do it outside because of the fumes. I slice them open to speed the drying process. Even with gloves, my hands, forearms, and face burn. And that's without any direct contact. Just the fumes. Ghost Peppers are HOT!!!

My first batch this year was made with just Lime juice and was too "limey". I found some other recipes that included lemon juice or vinegar. I decided to try a combination, and the flavor works for me.
                            Last edited by scotty; 07-11-2012, 03:54 PM.

Comment

A couple years ago we made sausa and I was the pepper getter ready. Gloves are for wimps!!!!! About 2 hours after my hands were like I was holding them in real fire. Nothing would stop them from burning. Called a neighbor and she said milk or milk product. Started with a bowl of milk. Worked great as long as my hands were submerged. Took sour cream and smeared all over hands. Worked great. Took about 5 hours. Never again without gloves

Comment

I gave a buddy a jar of my last batch. He said it wasn't that hot.

So this is what I used for this batch.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342313185.326634.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	24093464

I'm going to make him sign a release.
                                Last edited by scotty; 07-14-2012, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X