Why the stupid highway signs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
    I saw a "crossing sign" in New Mexico with a Turkey, elk, antelope and a sasquatch on it. Figure those bigfoot hunters should camp there
    Now we know where JHill wandered off to.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
      Thank your local DB attorney.
      Especially the guardrail signs. But, I've wondered if they were there so folks with suicidal tendencies could take advantage of them.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
        The reasons:

Guard rail damage ahead: due to guard rail being struck it is no longer a crash worthy device so, we TXDOT warn folks of this. Generally guard rail is in place where there is a hazard off the road way.

Pass with care: well to me that’s kinda self explanatory, when passing wait for an ample time and don’t create a hazard while passing. Also it’s there to encourage drives to be friendly on the road way.

Loose gravel: we generally put these signs in place after we do routine road work because LRA type asphalt materials generally shell out a little gravel for a few days. It’s a simple warning to CYA.

The road may flood: because during flooding events we like to have signs in place before the flooding happens, so that when someone is driving hopefully they pay attention to such advance warning that the road may be flooding.

All these signs have been implemented due to some one getting hurt so now we warn to CYA. Trust me you would think that people would have enough sense to notice things but they don’t. That’s why on hair dryers It says don’t use while in shower.
        Putting up a guardrail damaged sign makes perfect sense. Have people take their eyes of the road and look for the damaged guardrail.

I thought passing with care was common sense. But I guess common sense isn't very common nowadays. We need a sign.

Loose rocks. Exactly how am I supposed to CMA? Drive in the ditch?

When I see water running over the road I don't need a sign to tell me it might be flooded.

Just funning with you. I appreciate the job you guys do.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          You are coming along quite well in your training to be a grumpy old phart! I'm very proud of you!
          Thank you Grand Master GOF. You have taught this grasshopper well. Dang, I'm getting misty eyed. Dang allergies.

Comment

Signs, signs everywhere there’s signs....

Comment

Same reason that Preparation H has a warning that says not for oral use. Some idiot sucked some down and sued them. But he can whistle real good.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post

I bet she was watching too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here in Berry Creek sub division in Georgetown, a man and woman went around the barriers blocking the road because Berry creek was flowing across the road. Their car washed off the bridge The old man died and the old lady hung up in a tree. Firemen broke her arm rescuing her. She sued Georgetown because her husband died and because she broke her arm. They were both lawyers. Some times even signs don't do any good for stupid people.

Comment

SLOW
                    TRUCKS ENTERING
                    HIGHWAY

Tell them suckers to roll some coal and get with the program!

Comment

"kids at Play"

Get your **** kids out of the street.

"No Trespassing"

You're in 'Merica. Quit speakin french.

"For Sale By Owner"

I should hope so.

"All You Can Eat"

Bull****.

Comment

I cant figure out why TXDOT don't want distracted drivers but puts up a huge flashing sign saying don't be distracted. Kind of contradicts itself.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                          Pass With Care:

Well crap. I was just going to pass grandma going up this hill but now I'll have to wait.

What's the purpose of these signs other than some politicians brother-in-law is in the sign making business.
                          We were taught in drivers ed this sign marks the start of the passing zone. Studies showed if there was no sign at the beginning and end of the passing zone, people were more willing to make dangerous passes in double yellow center stripes than if the signs were posted. With the signs posted at the beginning and end of the passing zone, people can see when they will be able to pass, how long of distance they have to pass, and can make a more informed decision on when it's safe to pass. It's especially helpful when you only have short passing zones. Here in Texas, they are so long, it may not be as necessary.

Sorry to spoil some of the fun, but at least this one was rooted in science.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                            We were taught in drivers ed this sign marks the start of the passing zone. Studies showed if there was no sign at the beginning and end of the passing zone, people were more willing to make dangerous passes in double yellow center stripes than if the signs were posted. With the signs posted at the beginning and end of the passing zone, people can see when they will be able to pass, how long of distance they have to pass, and can make a more informed decision on when it's safe to pass. It's especially helpful when you only have short passing zones. Here in Texas, they are so long, it may not be as necessary.

Sorry to spoil some of the fun, but at least this one was rooted in science.
                            maybe true but you can make statistics show anything you want.
                            People just do what they want, double stripes or not.
                            just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                              Putting up a guardrail damaged sign makes perfect sense. Have people take their eyes of the road and look for the damaged guardrail.

I thought passing with care was common sense. But I guess common sense isn't very common nowadays. We need a sign.

Loose rocks. Exactly how am I supposed to CMA? Drive in the ditch?

When I see water running over the road I don't need a sign to tell me it might be flooded.

Just funning with you. I appreciate the job you guys do.
                              Sounds like your border line genius most people I encounter when working floods, pull up to the barricades as we are putting them out and ask” is the road closed?” I guess they don’t see 3’ of water rushing across the road then ask can I make it?

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                                No signs and no guardrails
                                speaking of guardrails, now they're being redone here north of DFW on rural roads where they are now placed closer to the road edge, where creeks and low points cross under the roadway.
                                You can't protect people from running off the road at every point of road, highway dept! Frustrating because now we have to drive through a 'tube' of metal.

Comment

Working...
                                X