Lake Somerville Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Somerville Help?

I have been asked to captain for two young men on an upcoming tournament on Lake Somerville in February the problem is that I have never been on Somerville before. What I am looking for is general lake info particularly lake hazards, and areas to avoid. Is this a pretty safe lake that you can just go cutting across or are there boat lanes that you should stay in? Also I have never really gone out to solely target largemouth but I am thinking this time of year it may be like fishing for flounder, so any advice on areas or tactics would be greatly appreciated, I am not asking for anyone’s honey holes. Any help in making this a successful for these two young anglers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

No worries about trees or stumps in the main lake. Biggest issue is the sand bar by Welch and the rocks on the west side. The rocks are marked but the sand bar isn't marked well.

All the trees and stumpy areas are pretty visible. Remind me about Tuesday and I can PM you some areas via Google maps. I don't target bass specifically but have caught some to 5lbs chasing whites and crappie

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

There's a large rock/peninsula on the northern edge of the cove leaving Welch Park and heading toward Big Creek (the creek and the marina). It wasn't marked the last time I was there (2016).

Use your depth finder and fish drop offs, brush piles you may locate, etc.

Comment

I haven’t been on Somerville in a while but there once was a shallow hump off of Rocky creeks west side. The more west you go in the lake, the shallower it gets.

Comment

Thanks for the responses....keep them coming

Comment

North end has quite a few trees and submerged stumps. Yegua has a rocky point thats not marked by buoys across from the boat ramp. When you leave the ramp and want to go south next to the island, just hang it wide to the north and east. Those rocks go out about 100 yards and will tear a motor up. Some arent very deep at all.

Other than that, those fish like rocks and grass. Depending on temps, fishing grass that time of year in shallower water than you would think you should could pay off. But I would go in planing to fish a bit deeper next to the grass and rocks. I dont know where many brush piles are so im not any help there.

Comment

Thanks....ttt

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                No worries about trees or stumps in the main lake. Biggest issue is the sand bar by Welch and the rocks on the west side. The rocks are marked but the sand bar isn't marked well.

All the trees and stumpy areas are pretty visible. Remind me about Tuesday and I can PM you some areas via Google maps. I don't target bass specifically but have caught some to 5lbs chasing whites and crappie

Many a boat have been stuck on that sandbar when the lake level is low. Trust me... I know!!

Comment

Originally posted by SKLOSS View Post
                  Many a boat have been stuck on that sandbar when the lake level is low. Trust me... I know!!
                  Yep. More than once I have waved like a mad man at boats heading toward it. All of them have waved back with a smile ear to ear only to come to an abrupt stop

Comment

Someone is going to have to show me where this sandbar is at on a map. I have only been out on the lake a couple times so far and been lucky enough to not have hit it so far. We plan to spend quite a bit of time on Somerville this summer.

Comment

If talking about the sandbar to the south of Welch where everybody trolls for whitebass. It has buoys around it. If not, then im curious as well.

Comment

If this is the THSBA....good luck. I can say, try to find an out of the way ramp to launch from. If you launch at Overlook be prepared for a nightmare. You are going to be fishing within casting distance of a ton of boats. Because it is a small lake.
                        Crankbaits and rocky points will do you good.

Comment

What you need is Navionics app. It shows you everything on the lake map. Contour and has some hot spots for fish marked.

Comment

I plan on trying to leave my boat in a stall at Lake Somerville Marina so I don't have to mess with the crowd at the ramp or worry about it while parked at a hotel overnight. Yes it is the THSBA tournament. I do have a Navionics card that is about 5 years old and I'm counting on. Anymore detailed info on that sandbar would be appreciated. Thanks TBH, keep it coming.

Comment

Originally posted by PIc View Post
                              I plan on trying to leave my boat in a stall at Lake Somerville Marina so I don't have to mess with the crowd at the ramp or worry about it while parked at a hotel overnight. Yes it is the THSBA tournament. I do have a Navionics card that is about 5 years old and I'm counting on. Anymore detailed info on that sandbar would be appreciated. Thanks TBH, keep it coming.
                              Get on google earth and go back to 2011. That should tell you all you need to know. That sandbar is marked though. The bigger sandbar threat is in between Yegua and Overlook around the island on the south side. If its low that flat will be shallow. But you should be okay.

Comment

Working...
                              X