Speed kills, or does it???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
    I just need to shoot what I practice with.
    AND THAT right there truly is the End All, Be All of it.

Rick

Comment

I started with a 35lb Sage. **** good bow no matter what anyone thinks. I still have it for form work. Currently shooting a 45lb Griz. My shafts are right at 9g per pound and I like them that light as the fly flat for me. I've tried much more than that, much much more, with footed shafts and 100g inserts backing 150g heads and they are hard hitting but I'm not accurate with them out past about 15 yards, and not all that great closer in. My advice is buy the bow, buy some shafts and start shooting. Dial in what works for you and go with it.

God bless and happy hunting.
      Richard.

Comment

I like watching my arrow fly, seeing it fall into the spot I was looking at.

sharp broadheads and shot placement is the key.

the challenge, the simplicity, the fun

Comment

All of my bows are tuned with 10.5 to 11.5 grain per pound. This gives me a speed somewhere in the mid to upper 170s on all my bows. After many years of shooting this is grooved into my brain. It's worked for me on critters from rabbits to bison.

Comment

I have no idea what speeds my bows put out nor do I care, dropping arrow weight will only gain you a small amount of FPS but it can cost you inches in penetration if you hit bone or shoulder. Sure on a 3D course it doesn't matter but for hunting purposes I have found that heavier is better, and thats from experience not hear say. Ultimately you will have to find what works for your setup and go with it, but like Rick said somewhere around 10gpp of draw weight is a good place to start and lots of shooting in the backyard. Good luck and God bless!

Clay

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
              A fast bow is nice but it doesn't mean squat if you can't hit what you're aiming at.
              ^^^THIS^^^
              A slow HIT is better than a fast MISS.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                As I already do not have enough tid bit hobbies. My lease buddy has taken on the trad sport. Bill aka boh347 has killed in his first yr a hog and a DEER. He says he will no longer pick up his 1200 dollar compound bow. I am now kicking it around as to trying it out.

You Tube is my friend IF, IF, IF I do decide to give it a shot with trad I am going pretty cheap, Samick Sage. Yeah I know it isn't a Bear, BW etc. I can not justify going all out on a first trad bow and for whatever reason I may not think it was for me. Hope that makes sense.

Watching one guy shoot a Sage set at 55 lbs and shooting about 175 feet per second??? Kinetic Energy has to be a trad guys friend. So yeah I have been absorbing a bunch of stuff from YT on trad shooting and hunting.

I will let you know how I progress. More importantly I will be asking a bunch of questions for help in here as well................

Now then, get your equipment--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me. Genesis 27:3
                Checkout "The Push" and "Arne Moe" videos both of these fellows have some good information.

Once you start grouping your arrows fairly well it's time to start tuning your arrows. I wouldn't worry about fine tuning until you're grouping your arrows consistently.

Checkout the "stickies" up top, there's some good information up there. If Bill lives close to you shoot with him every chance you get, he will shorten the learning curve. Good luck and have fun!!!

Comment

Great info above. Guys with worldwide experience posting. Btw, Arne Moe, mentioned above, has a teaching thread on Traditional Archery Friends.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                    As I already do not have enough tid bit hobbies. My lease buddy has taken on the trad sport. Bill aka boh347 has killed in his first yr a hog and a DEER. He says he will no longer pick up his 1200 dollar compound bow. I am now kicking it around as to trying it out.

You Tube is my friend IF, IF, IF I do decide to give it a shot with trad I am going pretty cheap, Samick Sage. Yeah I know it isn't a Bear, BW etc. I can not justify going all out on a first trad bow and for whatever reason I may not think it was for me. Hope that makes sense.

Watching one guy shoot a Sage set at 55 lbs and shooting about 175 feet per second??? Kinetic Energy has to be a trad guys friend. So yeah I have been absorbing a bunch of stuff from YT on trad shooting and hunting.

I will let you know how I progress. More importantly I will be asking a bunch of questions for help in here as well................

Now then, get your equipment--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me. Genesis 27:3
                    First off, love the Bible verse. I put Genesis 27:3 as my "name" on my Black Widow...

But to answer your question... speed doesn't kill, shot placement kills. Speed just makes it easier to determine where the deer's vitals will be when your arrow gets there.

Nothing wrong with a sage. I killed my first few critters with a 50# sage. Still have it, would use it as a back up without hesitation and it currently has my bow fishing rig on it. In fact, p_dot on here just tagged out with a sage this season... He has more to show for with his $200 bow than I do with my $1200 bow and I had just as many cracks at deer that he probably did... so it is not the bow, but the guy pulling the string.

Have fun with it... it is definitely an adventure... can be frustrating at times too. Plenty of folks on here have been through just about any problem you might face along the way or question you may have.

Enjoy!

Comment

Speed kills, or does it???

I will add this to the mix: trad archery/hunting is not a “tid bit” hobby. It takes a lot of time and dedication to get good enough to be successful, and then a lot of time to practice and learn to stay proficient enough to be successful.

There is nothing in hunting more rewarding than walking up to a critter you just shot with a trad bow with no sights or letoff. The reason for that is because of all the time and dedication it takes to get you to that point!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                        I will add this to the mix: trad archery/hunting is not a “tid bit” hobby. It takes a lot of time and dedication to get good enough to be successful, and then a lot of time to practice and learn to stay proficient enough to be successful.

There is nothing in hunting more rewarding than walking up to a critter you just shot with a trad bow with no sights or letoff. The reason for that is because of all the time and dedication it takes to get you to that point!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        Sage advice all! Unless you are atypical, it will take a good while to become proficient enough to hunt. Like others have said, the Sage is a great bow for the money and I still prefer shooting it over my other bows. For me, the grip is just about perfect.

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                          Speed doesn't kill, technically speaking. What kills is a broadhead running far enough through the vitals of an animal. Kinetic energy has been promoted for years, but by the physics of it, momentum is what matters. How hard is it to stop the arrow? Well, more mass at lower velocity is still harder to slow to a stop than a light arrow flying a bit quicker. Since speed is always limited with a traditional bow, we are always looking for a compromise between trajectory and momentum. There's all sorts of technical discussion out on the net for you to get lost in, but the bottom line is that slow, but heavy arrows, with razor sharp broadheads, will kill. It's as simple as that!

Get the Sage! Maybe swap out the string. Definitely put some moleskin in the string grooves on the limb tips to quiet it down. Add some wool puff string silencers, and start shooting! It's one wild ride, and the rabbit hole goes DEEP!
                          heavy arrows, razor-sharp BIG TWO-BLADED broadheads ... Fred Bear proved that a long time ago in killing anything that moved.

Comment

In 2000 killed a doe in PA shooting a 52# hickory selfbow that shot 137 fps. It was the first bow I ever built and has some decent string follow on the top limb. I didn't get a pass through but it was a dead deer. I was shooting laminated birch shafts with 3 blade Wensel Woodsman broadheads. That was the only time I used those heads, I switched to two blade after that. I also killed a doe in PA with a 43# hybrid longbow after my first back surgery in 2005. I was shooting Gold Tip Traditional carbons with 100grn brass inserts and Magnus Stingers. I never shot that bow through a chrono but it was no speed demon and it was still a dead deer .

I believe sharp broadheads, a heavy arrow, and lots of practice with what you hunt with equal tagged animals when hunting with trad gear.

Comment

I will be the one who goes against the grain here and say, skip the sage. With a little looking you can find a real nice used bow that only cost a little more. And you wont be dissatisfied with it in a few months. Good luck and have fun

Comment

Well, waiting on "what can brown do for you?" Ordered the Sage

Comment

Working...
                                X