• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To get much better.
    To tune my bow.
    To kill an animal.

Comment

Yup, I was talking elk. I'll have a trophy elk tag with buddies coming out to help pack. Then do some deer hunting together. I'd rather not make a 5-6 day hunt into a 30 day hunt, and cut into their hunt time. I love shooting stuff with a stick but there's not that much of a difference to me, where I'd risk messing up their hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
        Yup, I was talking elk. I'll have a trophy elk tag with buddies coming out to help pack. Then do some deer hunting together. I'd rather not make a 5-6 day hunt into a 30 day hunt, and cut into their hunt time. I love shooting stuff with a stick but there's not that much of a difference to me, where I'd risk messing up their hunt.
        Sound reasoning! Good luck with the elk tag.

Comment

I’ll just strive to have the year I’ve had in ‘17. I know I’ll do better in competition. I started 3D when it was two thirds over this past year. Thought I was gonna suck bad but found out I’m better that I thought. As for huntin, I’ve easily exceeded my own expectations and it would feel great to do it again. So here they are......

1- Get some TBOT buckles.
          2- Get another buck in the taxidermist.
          3- Kill many, many more pigs.
          4- probably the most important of all, meet more and more trad archers.

Comment

Rebuild my shot, I haven't shot an arrow for several months now to try and "reset" my brain. TP was killing me last year.
            Get to more shoots, working Saturdays put a big hurting on that.
            Most importantly I need to fix the left shoulder pain that's keeping me from getting a good nights sleep.

Comment

My goal for this year is to get better shooting accuracy with wood arrows.Last year was the first time I shot wood arrows in a 3 d shoot and I nearly gave up in the last half of course cause they didn't go were I wanted. I have some quality shafts from Nocking Point that I want to get finished and tweaked to fly straight.

Comment

Start shooting again is my goal. I gave up trad full time after a second back surgery in 2007. I think I still have 8 bows or so, but most are over 50#. I do have a 40# 1970-1972 Bear Super Kodiak I will probably start out shooting. I think I will pick up a longbow in the hybrid style or one with heavy r/d. I always shot those the better than recurves. However, I have had 2 bicep surgeries (right in 2013 and the left in 2016), then a 3rd back surgery in June 2017. So if I buy a new bow I want something in the 40-45# range. I have a nice take down longbow in osage and cocobolo I built for a SD mule deer hunt in 2006. But it's 52#. I suspect that's going to be too heavy with all the injuries/surgeries I've had.

Comment

Well I've gotten one done. Shot in a TBOT shoot.
                  Want to hunt more but making money, the ranch and scouting is taking way too many weekends.
                  So I want to kill at least 6 pigs with my trad bows by deer season.
                  Gain that confidence Bisch talks about.
                  Keep having fun with this stuff.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

a TBoT buckle

Comment

Although I accomplished my goal last year by taking my first Trad buck, at the end of last season I wanted to become more consistent. My goal was tear everything down and start over. Back in January there was an Imersion Clinic with Tom Clum and Joel Turner. It was amazing! Now that everything is "rebuilt", my goal for the rest of the year is to continue to practice and refine my new form and mental shot sequence. I am proud to say that I am already more consistent and the target panic is gone. It is funny... now when I shoot a hog, I am Cool hand Luke. 2 seconds after the shot, I become a jitter bug that drank a pot of coffee in those 2 seconds. Coolest thing ever!

Comment

Originally posted by gettin closer View Post
                        Although I accomplished my goal last year by taking my first Trad buck, at the end of last season I wanted to become more consistent. My goal was tear everything down and start over. Back in January there was an Imersion Clinic with Tom Clum and Joel Turner. It was amazing! Now that everything is "rebuilt", my goal for the rest of the year is to continue to practice and refine my new form and mental shot sequence. I am proud to say that I am already more consistent and the target panic is gone. It is funny... now when I shoot a hog, I am Cool hand Luke. 2 seconds after the shot, I become a jitter bug that drank a pot of coffee in those 2 seconds. Coolest thing ever!
                        That "jitter" is why we do it!

Comment

Hey the thread got bumped... so far I seem to have made some progress on my goals.

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                          1. Put last year behind me. Some of it was bad luck... some of it was something else... inexperience maybe or lack of feel perhaps.
                          This will take time, but I at least broke the slump streak. I've been in a better mood generally and have been really looking forward to some upcoming hunting opportunities more. Whereas I would look at a hunt as an opportunity to get out of the slump... I'm more looking forward to just having fun.

2. Not have critter killing "goals" for the year. I'm a numbers guy... I am... but for this year, I am not going to have a target number that I am shooting for. I'm just going to go out and kill whatever I can, whenever I can and just roll it with it. Looking back on last year for the times I had my worse miss/recovery rate, I had set some sort of expectation in my mind... multiple deer, multiple turkey, etc. When I just shot at rabbits for fun... the Big Oak hunt, and the TBH hog hunt I had no expectations and was more successful.
                          I could have easily set a numbers goal for the Javi hunt, but I didn't. In the end I went 2-2 on Javis which is the best I have ever done on one these hunts since picking up any kind of bow. I dropped a 5 rabbits, but I also took a lot less shots on them too as I was more patient and just enjoyed the walks.

3. Have a successful DIY Elk hunt this fall. By successful, I mean come away feeling like I had a solid chance... enjoyed the trip with my buddies... made lasting memories... learned something... (notice I didn't say kill an Elk... see #2!)
                          Not till August... so...

4. Fine tune my broadhead setup... Actually try other broadheads. I've had mixed results with my current setup that I have used now for 3 years... I'd like to have better confidence in it.
                          I have switched to Simmons Tiger Sharks as my go-to BH medium+ game for now. I'm not 100% sure that they are performing all that better than the Zwickeys. It is not like I am getting drastically better results, but they are proving to be tough and I have some confidence in them.

5. Complete the 1,000 mile challenge with my ruck.
                          I have completed 610 of the 1000 miles so far so I am in good shape there.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                            1. Take a Black Bear in Maine.

2. Have another great TBH Trad Hog Hunt with my Texas friends.

3. Take a javelina or 2 plus some pigs when my wife and I, along with some friends from NC, make a hunt in south Texas the last week in February.

4. Get back into 3d shooting.

Other than that I'll just roll with whatever opportunities arise.
                            1. Scheduled for a hunt in Maine the last weekend in August. I'll be in an all traditional camp with the guys from Black Widow bows. The biggest bear will win a new Black Widow bow.
                            2. TBH trad hog hunt coming up in April.
                            3. Shot a nice pig in Live Oak County.
                            4. Still haven't shot any 3d.

Comment

"I have completed 610 of the 1000 miles so far so I am in good shape there."

At this pace you should be able to get well over a 1000. Bump it to 1600.

Last edited by DRT; 03-22-2018, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Just bought my first recurve, a Samick Sage. Didn’t want to break the bank, just get started flinging arrows and have fun. Been shooting a borrowed bow the last three times I shot until I decided to get my own. Want to shoot some 3d with my daughter and hopefully be confident in my abilities and ready to hunt late this year or early spring. Ram or javalina hunt I think. Just enjoying it for now.

Comment

Working...
                                X