I gotta stay committed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gotta stay committed!

Stay the course trad guys. It would have been so easy to kill two really nice bucks this morning with a rifle but it's so much sweeter to do it with my recurve or longbow! This is a crazy addition but I love it. Bucks are on the move in Menard,Texas!

Yeah it's a challenge sometimes but I never even consider a rifle for deer. Compound maybe . . .

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang it just blew a chip shot on a goobler but it was more fun than blowing his head off with a shotgun! Can't wait for tbot, foam turkey are easier to hit!

Comment

Life is good, I'm having a blast not killing anything!

Comment

I know the feeling. I had a shooter walk slowly by at just over 20 yards last weekend. I didn’t once wish I had a weapon other than a recurve, I just wished he was a few yards closer.

Comment

I look forward to killing foam turkeys with you Chuck. This season and last Ive been thwarted by legal does and taunted by illegal does...east of the Chisholm trail.

Keep on keepin on.

Comment

Hey Chuck, I was in Menard that same weekend hunting with Todd, near London, crazy small world.

That weekend I got a small buck with the rifle (it was limping and the land owner agreed to let me take him) and missed a cotton tail with the bow while doing a spot and stalk walk. It sure is fun trying to do the spot and stalk stuff though, I enjoyed it.

Comment

I have moved beyond the kill, to me its the stalk/hunt I love. Just getting close enough to smell them and hear them breathing. I can't describe sitting at the base of a tree with my longbow when a deer walks by at 5 feet and looks around and over me and walks on.

You guys get it, but so many others never will...

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Whenever I can afford one, a trad bow will be my next one. What poundage are you guys using for hunting. I'm 52 and need to get a bow strong enough to hunt with but weak enough I can manage it. You can PM me if you want.

It won't be anytime in the near future, but input would be great!

Comment

Read through the stickies If you haven't all ready. Lots of good information there.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

"Whenever I can afford one, a trad bow will be my next one. What poundage are you guys using for hunting. I'm 52 and need to get a bow strong enough to hunt with but weak enough I can manage it. You can PM me if you want. "

Cuttingedge,

You don't have to buy an expensive bow. Like Bisch has said many times on this board, "It ain't the bow, it's the monkey pulling the string!" I subscribe to this sentiment. If you go traditional, prepare to go long and stick it out because it will be a long journey to become proficient. But that is why it is so rewarding and addictive.

I've been in this game for three years and just now have my form to where I'm fairly confident of my shot. Countless hours of practice is necessary.

Get a Samick Sage recurve not more than 35#, have someone help you set it up with some arrows that fly true, and start flinging! After you have your form down, you can look for a prettier bow that you probably won't shoot as well as the Sage.

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by twillgo View Post
                          "Whenever I can afford one, a trad bow will be my next one. What poundage are you guys using for hunting. I'm 52 and need to get a bow strong enough to hunt with but weak enough I can manage it.

Todd
                          I have a heavy bow that is 68#@30” but much rather shoot my 42#@30”. Both are Sarrels Superstition LB.

Comment

Cuttingedge, I'm 68 and shooting a 51lb Robertson, but will be going down in weight next year. Shoulder problems from when everyone thought a longbow had to be at least 70 lbs. learned a lot of bad habits! Start low and cheap until you get your form down. Join TBOT and you'll make some good friends who will be happy to help you on your journey. Best of luck you won't regret it!

Comment

It’s a mindset you have to be able to live with when one walks by out of range.
                              Keep after them!

Comment

Working...
                              X