Family Inheritance Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
    Sounds like momma needs to just give it to the one who has been doing all the work and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This. Amazing how one person can do all the work for 20+ years and those that never help want an equal share. Sweat equity goes a long way with me.

Comment

There is going to be a fight no matter what Mom wants.

Comment

What's fair isn't the question. What Mom said isn't the question. The question is whether or not there is a will and what is stated in the will. If there is no will, the siblings will have to divide it up among themselves. If there is a will, Mom should make sure that it is the way she wants it and everyone should respect her wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
          Sounds like you all need to sit down with judge momma and plead your cases in front of her. Give her some time to deliberate and let her make a ruling then suck it up because it's hers to do with as she pleases. Do it ASAP before she cannot make that decision well. Tread lightly as she may change her will and give it to the yard boy!

Bottom line, if momma wants to include the other sibling (could this be you?) in the remaining 6 acres, it only reduces the others by 0.3 acres. Unless this land is worth a ton, it doesn't seem like a huge family splitting deal and is not a large price to pay for the years of management and loyalty.
          Actually this is a bad idea to the extent it gives one child(ren) an undue influence claim against another child(ren).

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
            It is Mom's call period!
            This!

Comment

Thanks for the input and easing a certain persons mind.

Comment

All this over 6 acres of property? We are promised nothing......

Comment

one shouldn't expect any special treatment for helping there parents, it should be done because you want too. That sibling chose to live there (I'm sure, cheaper than market price for the rent), so rent is irrelevant. Not to mention it is easy to maintain a piece of property when you live on it. Mom needs to go write a will and do whatever she thinks is best.

Comment

My Dad left some property and money, but my brother got a power of attorney making him the executor before I arrived on scene. My Dad, bless his heart thought my brother would "do the right thing". LOL.... he didn't. I didn't expect anything and didn't get anything so I'm no worse off.

Comment

I would just sell him my one ac. that I stand to inherit and walk away. Whats one ac. to fuss over?

Comment

My view is it's not mine. I didn't earn it anything they give is a gift and I'd be grateful for it.
                        My dad earned everything he has from the bottom up starting with nothing. If he spends every penny good for him. If he has a butt load of money when he dies and gives it all to charity good for him. I'm not entitled to any of it but if anything is left to me I'd be grateful.

I have received 3 properties(30 acres at the age of 18) and later 2 lots from family members and none were expected. The 30 acres was from a family member that had kids and we're not my parents. Very grateful but I didn't deserve any of it.

My view is no one's entitled to someone else's things, let the owner make the decision and respect their wishes. Don't give your opinion unless asked and only to the one writing the will. The opinion of others that are on the receiving end aren't the ones that matter.
                        Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 09-13-2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                          My view is it's not mine. I didn't earn it anything they give is a gift and I'd be grateful for it.
                          My dad earned anything he had from the bottom up starting with nothing. If he spends every penny good for him. If he has a butt load of money when he dies and gives it all to charity good for him. I'm not entitled to any of it but if anything is left to me I'd be grateful.
                          We are not entitled to what others have earned.
                          Well said. It drives me nuts when people fight over inheritance.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                            My dad earned anything he had from the bottom up starting with nothing. If he spends every penny good for him. If he has a butt load of money when he dies and gives it all to charity good for him. I'm not entitled to any of it but if anything is left to me I'd be grateful.
                            We are not entitled to what others have earned.
                            I can follow that line of thinking, to bad a lot of others do not. No amount of money is worth breaking up a family over. I guess I will have to do my part to spend mine while I am still here so my kids don't have to worry about any of that

Comment

The cases I've seen that are a sad cautionary tale is when the heirs are approaching retirement age and don't have much money saved. Their mom is in her 80's and has a several million $ estate. You can often tell that her kids have been counting on an inheritance to save them from a lifetime of poor financial choices. Mom dies then they read the will and find out most or all of her money has been left to her church or other charity. That's a rough day for those folks but it is a risk you run when your entire retirement plan involves waiting for someone to die.

Comment

Family Inheritance Question

The ones that whine should get nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X