Laguna Atascosa hunting, opinions/tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laguna Atascosa hunting, opinions/tips?

My brother and I drew there this year, never been there before. First time we have ever drawn. I am used to deer hunting public land east texas, so I do not mind a hard/difficult hunt.
    We drew deer, but can shoot deer or exotic. I am looking for tips or opinions from you guys. Things you wish you had done, hindsight, or equipment ect. I am going to go through all threads here, and look at other internet sites. But, its hard to beat experience from people who have been there. I look forward to meeting people from the board there as well. Anything info helps, thanks.

A good chair and a lite weight pop up, good binoculars

Comment

Search the laguna Atascosa thread from last year. Long informative thread. I can tell you this from my experience last year. It is a hard challenging hunt. Go with the expectations of not killing as s first timer. Those animals are wayyyyyy smarter than the best of hunters. Get tick preventing spray and start waking or riding a bike now.

What days. I got drawn again this year.

Comment

November 17-21. Trying to decide on whether to get tripod. Hard to find good portable tripod.

Comment

You'll either love it or hate it. Hunted there for almost 30 yrs. Expect mosquitoes, snakes, billions of seed ticks and pretty much everything pokes you. I love it, shot deer, nilgai and hogs there. Bikes are nice to get away from road crowd but roads can be little rough at times. We hunt out of trees or sometimes tripods. Not a ton a big trees to hunt out of but there are a few. Take a game cart if you have one.

Comment

I drew LANWR too for the same dates (17th-21st)!

My brother, a buddy and myself. We're so excited and have never done it before! Right now I'm trying to create a spreadsheet with required items vs. "Nice to Have" items!

Anyone care to chime in and tell me everything I could ever want to know? Lol.

Comment

I archery hunted Laguna Atascosa probably 30+ years ago, back when all you had to do was to show up. I remember seeing wall to wall people crowded around certain areas. Walk to get away from the people. I think that nilgai tend to be at the northern ends of the place. It's a beautiful refuge, and I enjoyed every minute I spent there. Comments about skeeters are accurate. I've never seen or heard so many. I don't remember ticks, but I'm sure they're there. Good luck to all that are going. We'll be waiting for LDPs.

Comment

I drew the weekend after thanksgiving. I probably won't make the scouting day, I live too far away and have commitments that day. I'm thinking if I show up 1.5 hours before sunrise the day the hunt starts what's the point. What are the trails like? Are there trails? I'll be hiking as far as I can to find space from others but are you blazing your own path doing that? I see bikes are popular, does that mean there are established trails to ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
                  November 17-21. Trying to decide on whether to get tripod. Hard to find good portable tripod.
                  I drew those dates too and will be my first time as well. See ya there.

Comment

My cousin and I drew the first archery down there as well. made this account to join up with you guys.

should be a tough hunt. long drive, thorns, stickers, critters, bugs, snakes, cartels and probably 1% to get within 40yds of a Nilgai with a shooting lane.

i'll take them odds.

if nothing else, it will be a new experience.

Has anyone set up a ground blind out there? tripod?

-james in league city

Comment

Following. I am applying next year with a few buddies

Comment

Originally posted by Gopher View Post
                        I drew the weekend after thanksgiving. I probably won't make the scouting day, I live too far away and have commitments that day. I'm thinking if I show up 1.5 hours before sunrise the day the hunt starts what's the point. What are the trails like? Are there trails? I'll be hiking as far as I can to find space from others but are you blazing your own path doing that? I see bikes are popular, does that mean there are established trails to ride?

Don't forget about the mandatory orientation for all hunters this year.

Archery Hunt- Mandatory orientation (at the Los Fresnos Community Center), scouting, and stand set-up is scheduled for the day prior to each hunt, except Archery #2, which will occur on November 22, 2017.

Archery #1 - Nov.17 - 21, 2017 - application deadline Sept 1

Archery #2 - Nov. 24 - 28, 2017 - application deadline Sept 1

Archery #3 (Exotic Only) - Dec. 1 - 5, 2017 - application deadline Oct 15

Permits: There will be 250 hunt permits available for each archery hunt.

Comment

I'll be at the orientation. I was mainly wondering if that first day if I would be better off waiting till mid day and heading out. That way I don't mess up a hunter with an early morning plan and can take advantage of those who take a mid day break.

Comment

Originally posted by Gopher View Post
                            I'll be at the orientation. I was mainly wondering if that first day if I would be better off waiting till mid day and heading out. That way I don't mess up a hunter with an early morning plan and can take advantage of those who take a mid day break.

You know the orientation is the same day as the scouting day right?

Comment

I read orientation was the 22nd for the hunt on the 24th and the scout day was the fourth of November.

Comment

Working...
                              X