Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SouthernCamo View Post
    Love seeing new posts on this thread! Was that the same neighbor that had the old buck come back once it was over the hill? Obviously not Bucky but that story needs telling if it hadn't been already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Different neighbor.. She lived about 1.5 miles from me. that old deer hung out with Bucky though.

Comment

Years ago, i lived in ratcliff and the DCNF began 20ys from my front porch. I fed the deer in my front yard every evening for years. I could sit on my porch and throw corn on their back. They knew my truck and often showed up anytime I came home from work because they knew a coffee can of corn was coming. there were several generations of deer that had fed in my yard all their lives. I would be sitting on my porch talking to them when the would all blow out. Sure enough, a vehicle would soon show up on the dirt road. they knew the sound of a car turning off H7 even though traffic was constant on 7 just a few hundred yards away. There was a little lady named Ms Molly that lived about 1.5 miles from me that fed deer daily for over 40 years. We always visited about deer when we saw each other.

Now my near neighbors had raised a buck fawn Named Bucky and he always hung out in their yard but often came to my yard and loved to be scratched, ticks pulled off him, or have One Spot put on his back. I talked about him in another post. The year Bucky turned four, sometime mid July I had eaten a watermelon and carried the rind out front for the deer. A few minutes later I looked out and there were two bucks eating it so I walked out there to check them out. Ones was a 45 inch 8 and the other was a crazy wide ten. I got about six feet from them and the smaller who i thought was Bucky walked away. The wide deer wouldnt quite let me touch him but was obviously a pet. Now i was confused. That had to be Bucky. I was really surprised how wide he had gotten and that he was starting G4s. I talked to the neighbor lady that raised Bucky the next day and mentioned that he looked like crap but was going to be a ten. She said she hadnt paid any atttention but didnt know he wasnt an eight again. the whole thing struck me odd.

In sept, Bucky was back down at the house and sure enough, he was the 8pt that had been with the wide ten. I didnt see the wide ten again until Christmas eve. i had an old horse with no teeth that i fed senior feed along with sweet feed. I had just put out a bucket of feed and looked over to see a ragged old deer eating from the trough. It was him 21 inside and heavy ten. He didnt have much tine length and his body looked like death warmed over. He was really gentle and showed up every couple of days until Mid January or so.

The old deer was a total mystery until late Spring when I ran into Ms Molly at the post office. We chatted about deer a while an mentioned the strange appearance of that old ten. BOY DID SHE HAVE A STORY TO TELL!

She was a widow lady and lived alone.. She said after her husband died, she got a big german shephard to live in the fenced yard as a watch dog. one night around New years the dog was going crazy in the yard. A little later, something was banging on her back door and she thought someone was trying too break in. She got her gun and sneaked to the window. There on her back porch was a big old buck, slamming the screen door with his horns while totally oblivious to the dog. She opened the door and the deer walked right into the wash room! Ms Molly teared up telling me. It was a deer she knew well. A game warden had brought her a buck fawn(as they had several times) years earlier. She wasnt positive of the year but was sure it was over 11 and maybe 13 years ago. She had raised him in the washroom and let him run free with the other deer as soon as he was big enough. She said he stayed around until he was four or five and just gradually quit coming home. it had been at least seven years since she had seen him and presumed he had been killed in the DCNF. he stayed in her back yard most of the time as the spring progressed but eventually went back into the woods as things greened up. She hadnt seen him after that.

No telling how many hunters that old deer fooled over his long life in the DCNF yet he had little fear of me and walked right into her house!

Comment

Wow that's crazy. We raised several from the game wardens when I was young, but they never came back after 2-3 yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Really enjoyed these recent additions Steve. Thank you for taking the time to pen these for us.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            I kinda like him. Not even close to the biggest deer we have had on camera though.
            Yall remember ol LongBeam from post 788? We never saw him last year after the floods and i figured he was dead. Well he AINT! he is a darn nice deer this year at nine or ten years old.

Comment

Yall remember ol LongBeam from post 788? We never saw him last year after the floods and i figured he was dead. Well he AINT! he is a darn nice deer this year at nine or ten years old.

Nice!! Pictures????

Comment

I remember him well *face palm

Comment

Those are both great stories

Im going back to the beginning to start over

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb03 View Post
                    Nice!! Pictures????

We'll see them after someone kills him

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post

Absolutely! Ha

Comment

A fun read

Comment

great read keep them coming this is better then many hunting magazines

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                            I remember him well *face palm
                            Yeah there is an old ten over there with a big broad head scar to..

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                              There are pics of him in post 788. hes considerably bigger now though.

Comment

Well i have been bidding my time untiil a mature buck gets regular. One of my hideouts filled up with mature deer this week. No true giants but some good deer.

Im going to make a prediction.... One of my mature deer will meet an arrow between now and noon on saturday. We shall see. Sure is hot to be sitting in a tree all day this time of year.

Comment

Working...
                                X