No announcement yet.

Chain saws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We tend to think that if something is good, then more must be even better. But in this case, I would recommend that you go with the lightest weight Stihl model that will consistently do the job for you. So a lot of it depends on how you will use it. The size of the tree trunks and limbs that you will most frequently be cutting. If you're hardly ever going to cut an 18" diameter tree, then lugging a 20" bar around to cut 10" trees and 4" branches is just going to wear you down. And if a 10 lb saw will do the job for you, then a more powerful 13 lb saw is just carrying around 30% more weight for no good reason. Chainsaw work is tiring and hard on the back as it is. Buying more saw than you need is like using a 20 oz framing hammer to drive a finishing nail. My advice is get the right tool for YOUR job.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
      Hard to find, though. I did a little research on the lawn contractor forums and it appears that this is the next best thing to ethanol-free and what most of the pros are going to...

USE ETHANOL SHIELD FUEL STABILIZER ALL YEAR AND DURING STORAGE FOR EASY STARTING

They say it's hands down better than Stabil Marine or Seafoam.

I haven't used Ethanol Shield yet, but I did use Mechanic in a Bottle to get a riding mower started the other day. Probably saved $100 by not having to take it to the mower mechanic for a carb cleanout, not to mention loading, unloading and waiting a couple days. I couldn't believe how well it worked... it was practically magic. Couldn't get it to start. Poured one bottle into the gas tank, then started it. I'm a believer.
      I buy the Sthil 92 octane premix (no ethanol)...makes life so much easier for what I need in a chain saw. Their bar oil seems to flow better than the other off the shelf brands too. I don't make my living using one, so the minor added cost is worth it. I also keep an extra spark plug & filter on hand, but yet to need them.

The Sthil chains come pre stretched and any minor adjustments are easy to do in the field, although I opt to keep traditional socket / ratchet & screw driver in my work bag vs the all in one tool the saw came with.

Comment

I was planing on using the premix fuel in a can. Shelf life is like five years, and I wont go through enough fuel for the cost to really matter. Sounds like the ms 250 it is.

Comment

Stihl MS170
          List of Ethanol Free Gas stations. Luckily we have one close.
          http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TX

Comment

Stihl

Run the pre-mixed and extends your warranty.

Comment

Working...
            X