Chain saws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain saws

Looking for a quality chainsaw in the $350 or less range. Looking really hard at a Stihl MS 250. Any feedback or other suggestions. It will be used mainly for trimming at home and around the lease. I don't see me ever cutting anything over 10 or 12 inches in diameter, and usually under 6 inches.

Can't go wrong with Stihl.

Comment

You're looking to big for that job IMHO. If you are looking at cutting small stuff for 95+% of the time, I'd go with something in the 170-210 range. However, a 250 is a VERY good all purpose saw. It just gets a little heavy when you're cutting cedar all day.
      My family owns lots of sthil's, and I don't know of a single saw thats been a disappointment. All easy to work on an mantain. Keep them well maintained, they'll last a LONG time

Comment

I love my echo cs520 but as mentioned above it get heavy after awhile, I then get out my echo cs330,cant complain bout echo

Comment

I started out in the 170-210 range, but didn't want to underbuy. Most of my chainsaw work is a couple of hours or less at a time.

Comment

stihl! great saw

Comment

I have a Stihl 029 Super 18". Had it for like 10 years at least. It's still doing it's thing!!!

Skinny

Comment

I have a brand new MS 271. Its like butta!! love it! purrs like a kitten.
                BUY STIHL! after 10 years you will STIHL be satisfied~!

Comment

I just bought the MS250....can't go wrong with Stihl

Comment

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
                    I have a brand new MS 271. Its like butta!! love it! purrs like a kitten.
                    BUY STIHL! after 10 years you will STIHL be satisfied~!
                    We've got a couple still running strong after 20. Our sawmill saws need a little TLC, and they'll do the same.

If you are worried about being to small, go with the 250. I've cut all day with one, and I've cut all day with a 170, a 180, a 210... Just keep your blades sharp.

Side note, have I ever told you guys how much I hate Cedar?

Comment

IMHO, Stihl, like many other manufacturers of various products, has pushed the envelope in their value engineering over the last several years and their product quality has suffered. That being said, they're better than anything else out there that I've come across. I have three of them. I also have an Echo (can't remember the model #) general purpose saw in a 16" bar that I've put through hell and it just won't wear out. One of my Stihl's is of comparable size to my Echo and I'd say that, between the two, the Stihl is a little more of a cold starter and drinks a little more fuel... but it also is a little more maintenance friendly, a little more powerful, and definitely more ergonomic (which may not matter if you're using it for a couple hours but it can be a needle mover on the days when you're at it all day long). My top pick is Stihl with Echo as a fairly close 2nd.

Comment

I like the Husquvarna Rancher....works for me anyway

Comment

The 250 is a great saw, it handle 8 to 10 and then some. You could go a little smaller but if you ever did need to cut something large you would be out of luck.

Comment

Love my Echo, starts on first pull and cuts everything I need it to.

Comment

I've got a CS 590 echo with a 20" bar. That's bigger than you need but it starts easier and runs just as good as my brothers comparable size stihl IMO. I don't think you can Ho wrong with either stihl or echo.

Comment

Working...
                              X