Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post
    I forgot to apply this year... I shot 2 doe last year. Good Luck!
    which unit?

Comment

Originally posted by viper3853 View Post
      i drew unit 1 dec 13-15.
      wife drew unit 3 dec 6-8.

gonna google maps and see if i can get any info on it.

anyone hunt these untis before?
      I hunted unit 1 two years ago. will pm you some info.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post
        Did you get my reply? I couldnt tell if it went through.
        got it thanks.

i was reading the flyer and does it mean that the last hunt weekend you can shoot a buck with out shooting a doe or pig first???

Comment

Originally posted by viper3853 View Post
          i was reading the flyer and does it mean that the last hunt weekend you can shoot a buck with out shooting a doe or pig first???
          That's the way I read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
            which unit?
            I have my secrets

Comment

Myself and 3 buddies drew Unit 2 the last weekend. This is stand only hunting, wondering how the stands are for bow hunting? When I paid today online it showed that I was assigned blind 1. Any advice or info would be much appreciated. I am newbie as well so can't PM.

Comment

I meant 2 buddies!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigcat73 View Post
                  Myself and 3 buddies drew Unit 2 the last weekend. This is stand only hunting, wondering how the stands are for bow hunting? When I paid today online it showed that I was assigned blind 1. Any advice or info would be much appreciated. I am newbie as well so can't PM.
                  i hunted unit #2 last year, Blind 1.
                  Shot my spike outta that unit. blinds are huge and elevated. i have a pic of me in one. ill try to post it up. i dont recommend using bow, i did see quite a few deer in that unit. deer were moving late in the afternoon and moving north to south.
                  Good luck

Comment

i cant wait for these hunts, im gonna see if i can video my wifes hunt and her video me. hopefully we can get some deer on the ground.

Comment

Thanks Viper! I will take my rifle per your recommendation. Thanks again for the encouraging information!

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                        I hunted unit 1 two years ago. will pm you some info.
                        Anyone with any info/experience on unit 1, that is willing to share. I would appreciate it. (even if it is as simple as 'seen deer' 'seen hogs' etc. I drew it for the 1st non-youth weekend, Nov22-24.

Looking at the google maps, if the trail roads are in any shape at all the access throughout looks pretty good for my jeep. I have picked 3 spots to take a look at and would love to run them by anyone with experience in this zone.

My online search for info finds the Balcones success rate pretty poor. The 2011 management report numbers i found showed < 30 animals taken out of the 175 participants. Hope to break the trend.

PM me if you are interested in sharing...

Thanks,
                        Shane

Comment

Question about the 'etiquette' of the doe first rule.

So....
                          You arrive on site at exactly on Friday at noon with plans to go to your blind that you setup on the scouting day. You have a rifle in your lock box in your truck (or maybe you plan to bring it along as well). You drive on site and immediately see a very, very, very small doe at 200 yards across the field. Do you rifle shoot it and call it a day in order to get 2 full days in the blind with a buck tag?

ie Is there a deer too small to take just to upgrade your tag? Do you hold out for a better animal, knowing you may have a buck at 20 yds in the morning without the right tag?

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                            Question about the 'etiquette' of the doe first rule.

So....
                            You arrive on site at exactly on Friday at noon with plans to go to your blind that you setup on the scouting day. You have a rifle in your lock box in your truck (or maybe you plan to bring it along as well). You drive on site and immediately see a very, very, very small doe at 200 yards across the field. Do you rifle shoot it and call it a day in order to get 2 full days in the blind with a buck tag?

ie Is there a deer too small to take just to upgrade your tag? Do you hold out for a better animal, knowing you may have a buck at 20 yds in the morning without the right tag?
                            If you know for SURE it's a doe (not spotted), pop it, get the buck tag, hunt bucks AND doe the next two days. Fill up that freezer.

It's management hunt, the idea is to lower doe population.

Comment

If the gooberment does fire back up here pretty quik, this hunt will be cancelled! Unlikely the shutdown will last all of October but you never know!

Comment

Took a drive through Balcones today. Saw a few does while driving on 1174 as soon as you get into the preserve area. I ended up driving up to Bertram And drove by the cedar creek inn. I am looking for a place to stay for our December hunt. Anyone ever stay at cedar creek inn or have any suggestions for places close by? I am not opposed to tent camping.

Well heading out to get in the tree and see if the big one steps out tonight!

Comment

Working...
                                X