TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Hunting Opportunities (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   LBJ Grassland 2017 (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650644)

Texas Grown 07-18-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich1201 (Post 12580902)
Since it's considered abandoned, does FS ever take down and auction or sell to public?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I don't know about auction or selling. But I do know they will remove a stand if left for more than the 72 hour limitation. If you need it removed, you can turn in the GPS coordinate to the FS. And they will monitor it.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Razorback01 07-18-2017 01:09 PM

There are plenty of stands on LBJ now, I can tell just by looking no need to monitor.

drycreek 07-18-2017 04:59 PM

I don't know, I don't think I'd report the stand. Are they breaking the rules by leaving it out there, yeah but I'm not interested in tattle telling on somebody. I'm more likely to just leave a note and mention the 72 hour rule to them or try to make friends and see if we can't work something out where we share spots/stands. Not trying to get some body's equipment confiscated. In my experience a lot of hunters are pretty friendly people and would appreciate the heads up.

On that note, not sure if anyone is interested in a meet up sometime soon but I know there's a pretty good group of hunters that hunt the Sam that have done one and enjoyed it.

If anyone's interested let me know. Thinking maybe scout Saturday and then cook some dogs on the grill and have a few beers out by Cottonwood. Anyway, if anybody's interested shoot me a PM. Would be nice to meet some fellow public hunters.

Razorback01 07-18-2017 06:07 PM

I'm not going to report them, went through that phase a few years ago and all it did was eat at me (different govt land). I'll mind my own business and find another place to setup (for 72 hours).

Way I look at it, if the USFS doesn't want the stands out there, tell Mr. green jeans to get outta the truck and go hunt-em up. If I can find that many, he/she can as well. Hopefully no offense to any on here.

I'll let you know when I'm going out next drycreek, not sure when that may be other than possibly 2nd week of October.

Brentwalkertx 07-18-2017 06:16 PM

Id be interested in a meet up.

Kdurham 07-18-2017 06:53 PM

I'm interested in a meet up. I'm in Mansfield and only hunt public.

Rich1201 07-18-2017 07:19 PM

I'd likely be up for the meet up. Be nice to get to know some others.

Brentwalkertx 07-20-2017 09:03 PM

Anyone going out this weekend? Plan on going out there sunday morning. Maybe try to see a hog and go fishing.

Rich1201 07-20-2017 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brentwalkertx (Post 12588151)
Anyone going out this weekend? Plan on going out there sunday morning. Maybe try to see a hog and go fishing.

Going to check a camera and hang a new one. Not sure yet if Sat or Sun. Good luck out there. Where do you fish?

Brentwalkertx 07-20-2017 09:10 PM

Been fishing cottonwood. Been catching some nice largemouth off topwater or a Carolina rig

Rich1201 07-20-2017 09:12 PM

Nice I'll need to start bringing a rod with me. Thanks!

Brentwalkertx 07-20-2017 09:52 PM

I have caught a few small crappie on inline spinners also.

drycreek 07-20-2017 10:31 PM

This I'm going to head out Saturday. Could bring some brats and beers for a lunch at Cottonwood if anybody's interested. If not we'll schedule some in August.

Rich1201 07-20-2017 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drycreek (Post 12588452)
This I'm going to head out Saturday. Could bring some brats and beers for a lunch at Cottonwood if anybody's interested. If not we'll schedule some in August.

I'll post if I can make it up Sat. If not best time to get the most people may be opening weekend.

Brentwalkertx 07-20-2017 10:49 PM

Ill see if i can saturday. Suppose to take my son the the driving ranger saturday. But will definitely be out there camping opening weekend.

Brentwalkertx 07-20-2017 11:42 PM

Drycreek, i can make it saturday and can bring the beer( if you let me know what you like) if you bring the brats.

Froggy 07-20-2017 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razorback01 (Post 12582705)
I'm not going to report them, went through that phase a few years ago and all it did was eat at me (different govt land). I'll mind my own business and find another place to setup (for 72 hours).

Way I look at it, if the USFS doesn't want the stands out there, tell Mr. green jeans to get outta the truck and go hunt-em up. If I can find that many, he/she can as well. Hopefully no offense to any on here.

I'll let you know when I'm going out next drycreek, not sure when that may be other than possibly 2nd week of October.

No offense taken.:D I was Mr. Green Jeans for 21 years out there:D We removed a lot of stands every year. I climbed a lot of trees, with bolt cutters, and accompanied the FS LEO many times when he motioned hunters out of stands and gave them an "award".;)b

The regulation was put in place years ago because hunters were claiming areas and telling others they couldn't hunt there. We removed posted signs, box blinds, feeders and found food plots that had been tilled and planted. It's never ending. I retired over 5 years ago and talk to former co-workers often. Nothing has changed.

The rules and regulations are there to protect the legal, ethical hunter. ;)b;)b

drycreek 07-21-2017 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brentwalkertx (Post 12588620)
Drycreek, i can make it saturday and can bring the beer( if you let me know what you like) if you bring the brats.

Sounds good man. I'm fine with whatever. I always pack a little cooler with some soddies so anything you want to bring is fine too. I'll bring a couple of packages of brats and whoever comes is welcome.

Why don't we aim for the Black Creek Lake boat launch at noon on Saturday?

Anybody who wants to join feel free to swing by and say hello and have a brat.

drycreek 07-21-2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Froggy (Post 12588644)
No offense taken.:D I was Mr. Green Jeans for 21 years out there:D We removed a lot of stands every year. I climbed a lot of trees, with bolt cutters, and accompanied the FS LEO many times when he motioned hunters out of stands and gave them an "award".;)b

The regulation was put in place years ago because hunters were claiming areas and telling others they couldn't hunt there. We removed posted signs, box blinds, feeders and found food plots that had been tilled and planted. It's never ending. I retired over 5 years ago and talk to former co-workers often. Nothing has changed.

The rules and regulations are there to protect the legal, ethical hunter. ;)b;)b

Ha! No way. So people were actually putting up signs claiming areas? What the... And I can't believe people where bringing out tillers for food plots. Ha ha!

Brentwalkertx 07-21-2017 01:34 PM

Well, not going to make it out. Have to work.

Froggy 07-21-2017 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drycreek (Post 12589228)
Ha! No way. So people were actually putting up signs claiming areas? What the... And I can't believe people where bringing out tillers for food plots. Ha ha!

Not just tillers. Tractors and bulldozers.:mad:

drycreek 07-21-2017 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brentwalkertx (Post 12589697)
Well, not going to make it out. Have to work.

No worries. We'll try another weekend.

drycreek 07-21-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Froggy (Post 12589787)
Not just tillers. Tractors and bulldozers.:mad:

:eek:

Young gun 12 07-21-2017 03:12 PM

anyone had a problem with cams getting taken? had 3 of mine taken already

Rich1201 07-21-2017 03:15 PM

Only been hanging 1 out there for a couple months now and no issues yet. You taking any measures to protect? Locks, using twigs and leaves to blend in, etc.

drycreek 07-21-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young gun 12 (Post 12589896)
anyone had a problem with cams getting taken? had 3 of mine taken already

Sorry to hear that. I haven't had any taken, but I've got them each locked up with a Masterlock Python cable lock. I haven't really tried to cover them with brush but maybe I should.

hogman$ 07-21-2017 04:14 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4946f5c083.jpg
I put mine a good way of the ground inside a steel box that I made that is locked and has a 3/8 cable that runs threw the box and around the tree have 3 cams out right now headed out there in a few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbowman612 07-21-2017 11:16 PM

I put mine up high as well and I make sure they don't stick out like a sore thumb. I also avoid placing them in a place that is in direct view from trails people will use. If someone does walk up on one of my cameras there is a very good chance they will walk right by it and never know their picture was taken.

troy_w_7 07-23-2017 04:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few prospects. The times and dates on my camera are wrong.

drycreek 07-23-2017 07:02 PM

Nice ones Troy.

I went out Saturday to check my cams and scout some new locations. Still learning what's out there.

Highlights: I jumped over a dozen deer (1, 2 and 3 at a time) in several different locations. Mostly does and many had fawns with them. Two were bucks but both were yearling, fork bucks, maybe one was a 6. Saw turkey for the first time and some coyote pups.

Lowlights: Nothing but does on the cams. Just not seeing any bucks, much less shooter bucks. Also, one came has not one but two stands nearby. I'm moving it next time I'm out there. Just hate to do it because there's some really good signs.

Not sure why bucks wouldn't be showing up. I see lots of deer and lots of fawns and lots of rubs from last year. At some point bucks should be showing up on camera you'd think.

Oh well I'll keep at it.

Brentwalkertx 07-23-2017 10:48 PM

Troy w nice pics. Hopefully one is legal when the season starts.

Drycreek wish we could've met up. Work sucked. Glad to hear you are seeing deer.

troy_w_7 07-23-2017 10:54 PM

Yea, one looks to be right at 13'' or a bit under. The other looks plenty wide enough but I'm curious to see how much higher he goes. Still has quit a bit of growing to do come Oct.

Brentwalkertx 07-23-2017 11:34 PM

Both could be really good deer. Where did you kill the deer in your avatar if you dont mind me asking?

troy_w_7 07-23-2017 11:46 PM

Grapevine Lake

Txbowslaughter 07-24-2017 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy_w_7 (Post 12593742)
Here are a few prospects. The times and dates on my camera are wrong.

Nice pics! Glad your seeing some bucks.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

drycreek 07-24-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy_w_7 (Post 12594756)
Grapevine Lake

Awesome. Grapevine has some monsters. That buck you shot is just perfect. I love the typicals any day over non typical, perfect set of antlers there.

If you get time and care to share I'd love to hear the story behind that one.

Blood Trail 07-25-2017 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Grown (Post 12574120)
I'll be honest and give you my .02$ just to help ya along a little.

The best to you this coming season. There's a lot of fun out there. And a lot to learn and experience with age. :)

Mike, he said he don't believe in scent control or being quite. Guess he don't believe in shooting deer, then. :D

Blood Trail 07-25-2017 06:47 AM

To those who questions about having their cams stolen, yes it can and will happen. Same thing with stands. I started a thread in the DIY forum some years ago on how I get away with not having a cam stolen.

I camo mine with moss, bark, etc bought from Hobby Lobby. I had hunters walk past it numerous times and not know it was there.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9cd655ee90.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3478f9d9cc.jpg

hogman$ 07-25-2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blood Trail (Post 12597648)
To those who questions about having their cams stolen, yes it can and will happen. Same thing with stands. I started a thread in the DIY forum some years ago on how I get away with not having a cam stolen.

I camo mine with moss, bark, etc bought from Hobby Lobby. I had hunters walk past it numerous times and not know it was there.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9cd655ee90.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3478f9d9cc.jpg

That is awesome took me a bit to find it what about in the fall when every thing is dead dose it not stick out a bit ?

Blood Trail 07-25-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogman$ (Post 12598080)
That is awesome took me a bit to find it what about in the fall when every thing is dead dose it not stick out a bit ?

Not at all, cuz even in fall here in texas, there's still a lot of green and by that time, the stuff fades on it anyway.