Alfalfa feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alfalfa feed

I set this alfalfa feeder up on March 3. Went to the lease this past Saturday and to my disappointment nothing is eating the alfalfa!
    What do y’all think the problem might be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put corn with it - it takes them awhile to get use to a strange feed but they will eat it over time. High in protein too

Comment

Try Chaffee, it's alfalfa with molases, comes in 50# bag. My axis and whitetail love it.

Comment

I never had ANY luck getting deer to eat or of one of those feeders. Bust it up and put it in a feed trough and you will see the difference.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll try what y'all suggested. Checking the d-I-y for a feed trough. I checked my camera and not even the hogs ate the alfalfa

Comment

I've seen them eat alfalfa at our place in the winter and late summer when they are stressed and when there isn't much to eat out there other than cottonseed and protein that we feed them. I've never been able to get them to eat it during the Spring time when lots of forage is up and growing.

Comment

Smart had a alfalfa feeder for sale that was a 50 gallon drum with a cage on the bottom for sale. Maybe you can do a search and see the picture.
              I've heard good things about that style.

Comment

I have seen similar results with that style of feeder. Not sure why but it doesn't seem like they prefer to eat it that way. On the ground or out of a 50 gal type feeder with a bottom cage seems to work much better.

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                  Smart had a alfalfa feeder for sale that was a 50 gallon drum with a cage on the bottom for sale. Maybe you can do a search and see the picture.
                  I've heard good things about that style.

Smart did but it is sold ...but he's buying another larger style very similar to what the OP has (see below) because he needs more capacity. Our deer have no problem eating from it and mowing it down.

If I was the OP, I would stick with what he has and do the corn thing...stuff some in the cracks and crevices of the bale or lay corn on top of any on the ground. In the past, alfalfa I have put out in the spring usually stays around awhile. Then come May, it gets mowed down even the yellowed stuff. I'm assuming it is the spring greenup and the brush growth and they just have better things to eat. I used to break up the bale and throw it in my larger feeder thinking it would help, but they mow it down in the feeder in the summer and winter in bale form. I was in a hurry one day and just threw it in. A 3 strand bale was gone in 7 days..

This is my feeder at my other pen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0000Al0.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	24535071

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0368.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	24535072
                  Last edited by Smart; 03-27-2018, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I did leave a fresh bale on the ground so I’ll go back in a couple of weeks to see what’s going on.

Comment

Is that feeder homemade Smart? Sweet design!

Comment

Originally posted by Irish_25 View Post
                        Is that feeder homemade Smart? Sweet design!

No sir...it is a crossfire double stack feeder made by Premier..

Hockley Location 713.694.7552 Monday – Friday 8AM – 5PM 33120 US Hwy 290 (at Hegar Rd) Hockley, TX 77447 Brookshire Location 281.573.8625 Tuesday – Friday NOON – 5PM 34344 Katy Fwy; Brookshire, TX 77423 OUR MOST POPULAR PRODUCTS Add to cart THE-TIMER universal feeder timer $69.00 A universal deer, livestock, and game feeder timer. Add […]

Comment

I like that!

Thinking about adding one as well. Doing the math on a bale here though ($22 for a 50ish pound bale) I may just supplement it in fall and winter vs year round

But that’s a awesome setup!..... and I liked your barrel feeder ( what I planned to build

Comment

I took plastic 55 gallon drum containers and cut them in half - built a simple wood frame with a tin roof and placed each of the halves of the drum in the base - put alfalfa in each barrel with corn on top - they ate it up

Comment

We put it on the ground and they get after it.

Comment

Working...
                              X