TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Around the Campfire (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Texas Trophy Hunters Association (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743586)

Beargrasstx 09-18-2019 09:30 AM

Texas Trophy Hunters Association

How many are members of TTHA? What do you like about it? What do you wish they would do differently? Would you like more additional perks on hunting gear?

SaltwaterSlick 09-18-2019 09:42 AM

:eek: Wait!!! Let me go get me some popcorn... This could be good!! ;)b

rtjh 09-18-2019 09:53 AM

I stopped subscribing years ago, it became a magazine full of deer breeder ads and high dollar/high fence "hunts". Not my cup of tea.

DarrellS 09-18-2019 09:54 AM

Nothing but an advertising agency.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

150class 09-18-2019 09:55 AM

Man I looked forward to getting every magazine back in the day as a kid. Haven't looked at one in 10-12 years I bet because of what it slowly transitioned to. Not even sure if pops is still a member.

Tx.Fisher 09-18-2019 10:02 AM

A buddy of mine described it best when he called it ďdeer p*rnĒ, there is nothing natural about that magazine and all the racks are fake.

hog wild 09-18-2019 10:04 AM

A Joke!

mudkat 09-18-2019 10:04 AM

we were the same way loved the magazine then and its been years ago they had an article about how they raised this deer then decided to kill it with a bow ,went and bought a bow shot it a few times then let the buck out of the small pen into the big 300 acre pen and shot him .We cancelled our subscription right then and never got it back !

CEO 09-18-2019 10:17 AM

I'm the same as everyone above. Mid to late 90's as a teenager I loved it. Loved seeing those classic looking south Texas deer along with others from all over the state.

I'll flip through it now at the store and it doesn't really interest me.

tminc 09-18-2019 10:20 AM

If you like ads, and ranches u can't afford.This is your mag!

red-fin 09-18-2019 10:21 AM

I am the same as most above, used to wait at the mailbox for it. We used to send our pictures in to them and they would put them in the back. I even wrote an article about public hunting on the Chap one year (1998?) and they published it with some awesome pictures. The articles written by common Texas folks and common Texas hunting is what I miss about the magazine. Back then the ad's were useful. There weren't too many. I may have actually been able to afford something in the magazine back then.

I am sure some people feel about it the same way I used to. I see it as a catalog. The pictures are professional quality. The majority of the deer are genetically enhanced monsters. To each their own. I don't have anything to do with it anymore and I am sure they don't miss little ole me!!!

SaltwaterSlick 09-18-2019 10:26 AM

It's just a published rag of an organization that has done more to harm deer hunting in Texas than any other single thing, ever! They are the reason everyone jumps on a guy for posting up a nice young buck he killed that should have "given him 3 more years", or "what a shame to shoot that deer"... Wanna know why deer leases are $12-$20/acre and up... TTHA...
They flat ruined deer hunting for the average guy in Texas... No different that BASS has almost made it a crime to catch a bass and fillet it... CCA's gettin' that way with trout n reds....

All these organizations had a good start and purpose, but just like trade unions, they've outlived their usefulness and gone completely overboard...
OK, Off my soapbox now... Y'all carry on...

lab man 09-18-2019 10:33 AM

A lot of bashing here. Some still have not gotten over the cartoon that they posted many years ago.

They have changed some in recent years and have reduced the number of deer breeder ads. There are still a few but it is not every other page like it was at one time.

Just about every issue lately will contain a story from one of our members on here. One issue had five or six stories from our members in the same issue.

Quackerbox 09-18-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tminc (Post 14375713)
If you like ads, and ranches u can't afford.This is your mag!

almost like those other magazines I always waited for as a kid.:D:eek:

Its not the same as it once was. 4-5 pages for the little guy and rest too high end places for guys who want to spend big money for a big deer to hang on the office wall to brag over. They care nothing about putting the work in to get a place going and just plain enjoying the brotherhood of a deer camp

Like Charlie said, CCA is getting the same way, DU's mag is toast also. It ALL boils down to the almighty dollar.

AntlerCollector 09-18-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lab man (Post 14375751)

Just about every issue lately will contain a story from one of our members on here. One issue had five or six stories from our members in the same issue.

Again, good marketing for them. Post a few storys from people who are members of an 80,000 member hunting group.

I ain't mad at the TTHA. Like others said, they are no different than most other organizations now days.

D-BULL 09-18-2019 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtjh (Post 14375639)
i stopped subscribing years ago, it became a magazine full of deer breeder ads and high dollar/high fence "hunts". Not my cup of tea.

you nailed it!!

manwitaplan 09-18-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

A lot of bashing here. Some still have not gotten over the cartoon that they posted many years ago.

They have changed some in recent years and have reduced the number of deer breeder ads. There are still a few but it is not every other page like it was at one time.

Is this your magazine?

The word bashing should be changed to criticizing!

The OP asked about the magazine and peoples thoughts. They gave them, and you accused them of bashing. Lol.

How come not one person so far has supported the mag? When the magazine made more money from ads vs subscriptions nobody from TTHA cared.

Just observing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sharpstick35 09-18-2019 11:09 AM

I'll have to agree with everyone above. They used to be a good organization 12+ years ago but I have long since let my membership laps. I agree that they have had a negative impact on deer hunting in Texas, and not just to us hunters and our wallets, but also for our sport in the eyes of the general public.

solocam_aggie 09-18-2019 11:10 AM

Echoing the same sentiments as most here. Let my subscription go about 5 years ago and dont miss it one bit. A buddy of mine still enjoys it... as he likes to "shop" for a good buck to take every year.

bownut 09-18-2019 11:11 AM

All the above

AntlerCollector 09-18-2019 11:13 AM

Well it's not called Texas Meat Hunters Association. :)

It's primarily geared towards the high end side of hunting nowadays. Been trending that way for 15 years.

Radar 09-18-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick (Post 14375728)
It's just a published rag of an organization that has done more to harm deer hunting in Texas than any other single thing, ever! They are the reason everyone jumps on a guy for posting up a nice young buck he killed that should have "given him 3 more years", or "what a shame to shoot that deer"... Wanna know why deer leases are $12-$20/acre and up... TTHA...
They flat ruined deer hunting for the average guy in Texas... No different that BASS has almost made it a crime to catch a bass and fillet it... CCA's gettin' that way with trout n reds....

All these organizations had a good start and purpose, but just like trade unions, they've outlived their usefulness and gone completely overboard...

Lot of truth to this. I still go to TTHA shows and buy a few small things from TBH vendors and visit.

kcmarullo 09-18-2019 11:36 AM

Texas trophy hunters is about the same as Buckmasters for me .

Jon B 09-18-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 150class (Post 14375645)
Man I looked forward to getting every magazine back in the day as a kid. Haven't looked at one in 10-12 years I bet because of what it slowly transitioned to. Not even sure if pops is still a member.

Exact sentiment.....used to have decent hunt deals in the low rent classifieds on the back page. Haven't opened on in probably 10 years.

sotx 09-18-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

I stopped subscribing years ago, it became a magazine full of deer breeder ads and high dollar/high fence "hunts". Not my cup of tea.

This. The genetically altered Frankenstein deer was more than I could bare.

SaltwaterSlick 09-18-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcmarullo (Post 14375919)

:eek: Now that's the ultimate slam!!

CLOSE THREAD!! ;)b

sotx 09-18-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

As well as this^^^^^^

Kevin Warren 09-18-2019 11:46 AM

I have been a member for the last two years but probably will not join again. I dont get a lot of value from it.

eastxhunter 09-18-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Someone got a clip of said cartoon?

sectxag06 09-18-2019 11:50 AM

i used to love TTHA growing up. i haven't looked at anything from them in over a decade. it's all junk now.

sectxag06 09-18-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

dang. missed this post. this absolutely nails it.

Mexico 09-18-2019 11:53 AM

When every article became " look at what Dr. so and so shot " I was out..

IkemanTX 09-18-2019 11:54 AM

Man, all these posts are exactly my exact sentiment.

Loved the mag in the Ď90ís but canít stand it now.

sotx 09-18-2019 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this

Gary Roberson 09-18-2019 12:02 PM

I agree that TTHA had a LOT to do with the promotion of the deer breeding businesses and it can be argued that these operations have hurt deer hunting in Texas. I had a meeting with the folks at TTHA and voiced the concerns that most of you have stated and here is what I learned.
The magazine has more articles from members and wanting more, almost no ads from deer breeders and looking to go to shorter articles to hold the interest of millennials whose attention span is not very long.
As most of you know, I am one of the staff writers. Most of my articles are of the "how to" variety as I feel that my 60 years of hunting experience might help a guy that is new to the game. I keep writing for the magazine as I want to see the TTHA survive. As many of you have stated, it was a great magazine before the scientific breeding came along.
I feel that it is important that we continue to have the Extravaganzas, as it gives us a chance as a huge fraternity to gather and visit in advance of the hunting season. (This is the only part of TTHA that makes money). Parking has become a huge problem at the shows. I can remember when you could park at Will Rogers for free. I feel that the new management at TTHA thinks more as we do and the magazine has made huge improvements over the last couple of years.
Thanks and Adios,
Gary

krtnorris 09-18-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcmarullo (Post 14375919)

You eat me to it!!!

sharpshooter1 09-18-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastxhunter (Post 14375948)
Someone got a clip of said cartoon?

Iíd like to see said cartoon

SaltwaterSlick 09-18-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharpshooter1 (Post 14375995)
Iíd like to see said cartoon

See post 34

SaltwaterSlick 09-18-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Roberson (Post 14375987)
I agree that TTHA had a LOT to do with the promotion of the deer breeding businesses and it can be argued that these operations have hurt deer hunting in Texas. I had a meeting with the folks at TTHA and voiced the concerns that most of you have stated and here is what I learned.
The magazine has more articles from members and wanting more, almost no ads from deer breeders and looking to go to shorter articles to hold the interest of millennials whose attention span is not very long.
As most of you know, I am one of the staff writers. Most of my articles are of the "how to" variety as I feel that my 60 years of hunting experience might help a guy that is new to the game. I keep writing for the magazine as I want to see the TTHA survive. As many of you have stated, it was a great magazine before the scientific breeding came along.
I feel that it is important that we continue to have the Extravaganzas, as it gives us a chance as a huge fraternity to gather and visit in advance of the hunting season. (This is the only part of TTHA that makes money). Parking has become a huge problem at the shows. I can remember when you could park at Will Rogers for free. I feel that the new management at TTHA thinks more as we do and the magazine has made huge improvements over the last couple of years.
Thanks and Adios,
Gary

Gary, yours seems to be a voice of reason. I don't know how much influence you may have on "management", but I can tell you from personal experience, I quit going to the TTHA show in Houston when they moved it to the NRG Center from the GRB downtown... Admission went to $12 bucks and parking at NRG is $15.00!! So before you've set foot in the show, you've spent almost 30 bucks!! It would take a heck of a deal on equipment and goods at the show to make it worthwhile to go "shopping" at that show and come out nearly as well as you could by just shopping on line or at the brick and mortar outlets of the various vendors... I went to my first show in probably 10 years this past year, and it was ONLY to meet up with and fellowship with other THB'ers. I had a great time doing that and yes, I spent a couple hunert dollars too, but I had to grit my teeth and pay $27.00 for the privilege of doing that... If they want to hold it at a major venue, the GRB is MUCH more centrally located and parking is easily had for $5 bucks downtown on the weekends. Heck, no bigger than that show is, it could be held at the Lone Star Convention center in Conroe, or the Humble civic center or Pasadena Convention center... all those venues have free parking...

sbushee 09-18-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

This, stopped in Ď96

City slick hunters will be members. Most good ole country boys wonít

roberts 09-18-2019 12:24 PM

i am like many on here. I let my subscription lapse when all I saw in the magazine was breeder deer in every article. I look at the cover when ever I see the magazine, but have not bought one in probably 15 years.

Drycreek3189 09-18-2019 12:30 PM

I havenít subscribed or bought one of the magazines since the nineties. I stopped watching their tv show years ago when the old guy, (canít remember his name), started touting a .22 for deer hunting.

The main thing that turned me off the magazine was an article about pronghorn hunting near Ft. Davis. The facts were wrong and I knew it, because I was there. Killed my first goat on that hunt, and it wasnít like the outfitter, who wrote the article, told it. That made me think if Iím gonna read fiction, then Iíll read something with a plot.:)

Patton 09-18-2019 12:39 PM

As a kid I'd grab a copy at the Grocery Store every time I was dragged there. Probably haven't picked up a copy in 10 years.

Big pig 09-18-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IkemanTX (Post 14375966)
Man, all these posts are exactly my exact sentiment.

Loved the mag in the Ď90ís but canít stand it now.

Same here. I enjoyed the stories back then

boy wonder 09-18-2019 02:06 PM

My sentiments are expressed above, used to be very excited to read the new edition and re-read the older ones. But, one of the straws, among many, was when Horace Gore strongly criticized Milo Hanson's new world record, said the hunting up there was "just like rabbit hunting" as they used deer drives, unlike the elite TTHs.................

Gary Roberson 09-18-2019 02:31 PM

Saltwater Slick, I appreciate your input and sometimes, I think that the TTHA guys listen to me. I will pass on the constructive criticism as you bring up some very good points.
Thanks and Adios,
gary

MRWHITE87 09-18-2019 02:33 PM

Always hate seeing those decals on trucks cause they give hunting a black-eye everytime a non hunter sees it.
The backstraps and tenderloins are trophies to me.. Antlers are just bonus keepsakes.

eliteweldingco 09-18-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Same

red-fin 09-18-2019 02:46 PM

I sure miss the ole days of the TTH extravaganza. We looked forward to it for months, always went to SA. Don't remember the parking or admission being too bad. Good grief you couldn't get 20yds from a vendor booth unless it was emu oil, scented candles or jewelry cleaner. That place was PACKED. Just took all the fun out of it shoulder to shoulder, for me that is.

When I get finished cruising thru TBH, oh I mean get off work, I am heading out to get a copy. I just cant believe there aren't anymore deerzilla ads and there are a ton of good ole short stories. I am not trying to be a smart $%$ here but I bet if there aren't any deerzilla ads half the magazine will be deer stand and feeder ads.

raw10628 09-18-2019 03:16 PM

All magazines have gone downhill in the last 10 years, not just TTHA. The digital age and sites like TBH have caused print media to be a thing of the past. You can see this in any industry. Here on TBH we can share the same stories and tips that before you could only get through a magazine or personal encounter and you can reach hundreds of different people instantly to gain knowledge from all walks of life.