TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment and Tuning (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Do you really need a stabilizer? (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572576)

MathewsChillR 01-14-2016 08:23 PM

Do you really need a stabilizer?
 
I purchased a new bow before Christmas because my limbs broke on my bear during hunting season. I upgraded to a Mathews ChillR. I purchased this bow at cinnamon creek archery off I35. They set me up with a stockerized stabilizer!
To me it makes the bow heavy. Today I shot my bow when I got home and I decided to not install my stabilizer. It actually felt 100x better imo without it.

Do I really need to have a stabilizer if it feels better without?

panhandlehunter 01-14-2016 08:24 PM

No you don't need one.

Bowtech38 01-14-2016 08:27 PM

I took mine off few years ago, shoots just fine with out it, its a bowtech assassin weighs little over 4 pounds ready to shoot with no quiver on it.

stickman 01-14-2016 08:34 PM

Shot my mathews legacy for many years without a stabilizer.

DOUBLE.A 01-14-2016 08:36 PM

Never shot without one but I kno I shoot a lot better with a long one.

Mudslinger 01-14-2016 08:36 PM

All depends. I tried both ways with many different stabilizer combos and none at all and found a combo that made mine feel better, but it is not a heavy set up either.

Texastaxi 01-14-2016 08:44 PM

Nope.

You don't need a sling either.

I hunt (and kill) regularly without either.
I haven't used a sling in at least 5 years.
I remember to screw in my stabilizer about 50% of the time.

MathewsChillR 01-14-2016 08:49 PM

Good!!!!!

It's amazing how much better I am without it on my bow.
I know it's there to add weight to the front of the bow to stabilize the bows weight
However I shoot much better with out it

Rat 01-14-2016 09:10 PM

Everyone is different, even the same bows shoots differently from one person to the next.

Do what works for you. On my hunting rig I like a 12" stab with about 4 oz of weight. My field rig needs a longer stab and a little less weight, but I'm shooting 90 meters with that bow.

So for me, a stab is necessary.

So is a sling. I shoot with curled fingers to the side of the grip. If I don't have my sling on the bow hits the ground.

It's up to you, there is no right or wrong, yes or no, blanket answer.

BowTech2010 01-14-2016 09:23 PM

The chill r has an added weight in the bottom of the riser so a stabilizer isn't absolutely needed

MathewsChillR 01-14-2016 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowTech2010 (Post 10983950)
The chill r has an added weight in the bottom of the riser so a stabilizer isn't absolutely needed

Thanks for that info

Brock Middlebrook 01-15-2016 09:41 PM

I don't use one.

Quackedup 01-16-2016 11:09 AM

A true stabilizer is perimeter weighted, ie, the weight is mainly on the outside of the stabilizer, away from the riser. This set up actually will slow pin movement and make it a little less pronounced. most of the "stabilizers" out today are not perimeter weighted and are more for reducing noise and vibration instead of actual stabilization. Most are designed around looks rather than a true stabilizing benefit. Having said all of that, I had a 6" stabilizer on my ChillR year before last and skipped it on my HTR this year. For hunting at short yardage, I don't think the added weight makes up for the little stabilization you get. On my Tournament rigs, I run 26"-30" front rods and a 12" sidebar with about a pound and a half total end weight. This really slows down pin movement and makes it easier to make aiming corrections due to the mass weight of the bow.

Mudslinger 01-16-2016 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quackedup (Post 10988135)
A true stabilizer is perimeter weighted, ie, the weight is mainly on the outside of the stabilizer, away from the riser. This set up actually will slow pin movement and make it a little less pronounced. most of the "stabilizers" out today are not perimeter weighted and are more for reducing noise and vibration instead of actual stabilization. Most are designed around looks rather than a true stabilizing benefit. Having said all of that, I had a 6" stabilizer on my ChillR year before last and skipped it on my HTR this year. For hunting at short yardage, I don't think the added weight makes up for the little stabilization you get. On my Tournament rigs, I run 26"-30" front rods and a 12" sidebar with about a pound and a half total end weight. This really slows down pin movement and makes it easier to make aiming corrections due to the mass weight of the bow.


Yep!

bphillips 01-16-2016 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quackedup (Post 10988135)
A true stabilizer is perimeter weighted, ie, the weight is mainly on the outside of the stabilizer, away from the riser. This set up actually will slow pin movement and make it a little less pronounced. most of the "stabilizers" out today are not perimeter weighted and are more for reducing noise and vibration instead of actual stabilization. Most are designed around looks rather than a true stabilizing benefit. Having said all of that, I had a 6" stabilizer on my ChillR year before last and skipped it on my HTR this year. For hunting at short yardage, I don't think the added weight makes up for the little stabilization you get. On my Tournament rigs, I run 26"-30" front rods and a 12" sidebar with about a pound and a half total end weight. This really slows down pin movement and makes it easier to make aiming corrections due to the mass weight of the bow.

While true for the most part, my hunting stab is 11" carbon rod with 8oz stainless weights on the end and for the fun of it I pulled it off and shot without it and my pin movement actually slowed without compared to with it. Maybe some bows just balance better than others? I had never tried it but it was very noticeable at 50+yds

ferrellv 01-16-2016 06:32 PM

Nope i shoot mine without one and dont have any trouble.

acwirz 01-17-2016 06:18 PM

I need to try shooting without one after reading this. I've always felt that the bow is heavy with it on there but was necessary.

Quackedup 01-19-2016 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bphillips (Post 10989054)
While true for the most part, my hunting stab is 11" carbon rod with 8oz stainless weights on the end and for the fun of it I pulled it off and shot without it and my pin movement actually slowed without compared to with it. Maybe some bows just balance better than others? I had never tried it but it was very noticeable at 50+yds


That might have been too much weight out front. Most bows don't need that much weight to balance. Putting a lot of weight up front usually means some rear weight needs to be added to make the bow balance. On my target set up, the 30" bar only has 4 ounces on the end of it and the 12" rear bar has 16 ounces. This makes the bow sit very neutral in my hand. If it is really windy out, I may up the weight a little, but I keep the 1 to 4 ratio and the bow stays in balance.

bow4my2 01-19-2016 06:49 AM

I only have one as a noise dampner on my z7 but doesn't really do anything for weight. its actually one bow that I have shot that feels pretty balanced

muddyz 01-19-2016 06:58 AM

I'll have to try shooting with an without now and see.

bphillips 01-19-2016 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quackedup (Post 10995996)
That might have been too much weight out front. Most bows don't need that much weight to balance. Putting a lot of weight up front usually means some rear weight needs to be added to make the bow balance. On my target set up, the 30" bar only has 4 ounces on the end of it and the 12" rear bar has 16 ounces. This makes the bow sit very neutral in my hand. If it is really windy out, I may up the weight a little, but I keep the 1 to 4 ratio and the bow stays in balance.

Yea it was too heavy I believe but even with only one 4oz weight it was still better without any stab. It kicks back a little after the shot without one but it will be worth it having it hold better

XJessen89 01-19-2016 02:21 PM

I am going to try shooting it both ways this afternoon and see what I prefer. I would like to keep the bow on the lighter side. Does anyone know if they make a screw to hold your sling in place of the stabilizer? My bow came with the stabilizer and I added a sling from Cabela's, but it did not come with anything to mount the sling.

old killer 01-20-2016 07:34 AM

They will add weight. The right amount of weight will stabilize the bow and keep the fibers from appearing to shake or move as much, like the ones used by target archers.
I have a 90 degree set up on my Chill R and use a 4 inch stabilizer turned up to use as a carry handle so I don't carry the bow by the string.
The key is your group size vs the carry the carry weight. In the mountains the weight can be a problem. Not so much when you walk 300yds to a tree stand. With the new parallel limb design hand shock is no longer an issue.
Practice both ways and see which way you prefer.

Bubbasnl 01-20-2016 05:59 PM

Comes down to what works
 
My old bow I didn't use one and it felt great, my new one I tried out a friends and found it made a difference, think it ultimately just depends on what feels best for your setup. Test with and with out, use what ever works best and you feel most confident in.

Quackedup 01-20-2016 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJessen89 (Post 10997531)
I am going to try shooting it both ways this afternoon and see what I prefer. I would like to keep the bow on the lighter side. Does anyone know if they make a screw to hold your sling in place of the stabilizer? My bow came with the stabilizer and I added a sling from Cabela's, but it did not come with anything to mount the sling.

a rest bolt is the same size and thread as a stabilizer stud. If you don't have an extra bolt, they are standard sized, I just cant remember of the top of my head what size they are.

Rat 01-20-2016 07:55 PM

5/16 x 24, 1/2" long will work. Use a stainless cab screw (bolt with the Allen wrench head) it looks cooler.

Iehooligan11b 01-20-2016 08:00 PM

I've got a sniper hawg light. Does that count?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com