Costal skinny water chariot overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costal skinny water chariot overhaul

I have been wanting a scooter style flats boat for a while now. When I saw this setting on the side of the road it was love at first sight and for the price I couldn't pass it up. She is rock solid but in need of a cosmetic make over and of course I have plans of completely going overboard with upgrades.....so here we start with a 16' majek, texas skiff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First thing to tackle. The dreaded sanding. Many,many hours of sanding..... the starboard side was really beat up and I figured it would cost me a fortune to smooth it out. I tried to get decent pics but white scratches in white gel coat just wouldn't show up. I was pleasantly surprised to see most of the scratches sand out you can really see the difference in the old stuff and freshly sanded stuff.

Comment

I marked everything that needed filler added to it. Instructions said filler must be used above 60 degrees. Science it's 100 today I figured I was good to go. Down side is that the 10 min cure time was cut in half so I had to work fast. Sadly this also translates to sloppy..... so more sanding than already planned....

Comment

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Not a good picture of the boat, but this was my Papaw's we used for 20+ years. Hopefully yours will bring you as many good memories when it's done, both fixing it up and using it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes sir merc!!!!!! I certainly hope so. I have 3boys and they enjoyed removing old hardware and trailer parts that were in the way. They did it all by themselves too.

Comment

Long evening and I know the pictures aren't that exciting.....but, it is rough sanded and as blemish free as I can get it. I'm very pleased at this point.

Comment

Nice. I've been thinking of doing the same thing but I just don't have the time.

Comment

Looking good. I have one sitting out back that I started a rebuild thread on 4 months ago but the summer heat got in the way so I postponed it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah jay it was stupid hot outside today. Not fun at all!!!!

Comment

I'm looking forward to following along! The sanding so far looks awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Chubb View Post
                          I'm looking forward to following along! The sanding so far looks awesome!
                          Thanks!!!! That's 120 grit so far. I plan to work it down to 320. I have a long ways to go!

Comment

Following...

Comment

Hows the transom?? Solid, before you start cosmetic work on it?? That being said, you put a 60 class motor on that thing and it will be sweet.

Comment

Working...
                              X