TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Around the Campfire (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet? (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638923)

CassCounty 04-30-2018 08:56 PM

My Wife started the keto diet about 7-8 months ago after going through some health issues and gaining 50 lbs. She was taking really high doses of steroids. She has lost 60 lbs so far. I started it 4 months ago and am down 46 lbs. Her numbers are great. I have an appointment in a couple weeks so I will see how my numbers are running. I can say this is the easiest diet to stay on that I have tried. I have been walking a few miles every day and working out at the gym 4-5 days a week.

SCREAMINREELS 04-30-2018 09:17 PM

I'm doing it about half way.not counting the fats, (I can't wrap my head around high fat not clogging arteries)I'm just keeping carbs and sugars as low as I can. Buddy got me on it right before Easter. Been weighing every Monday, talking to him and reading ideas here as well.
4 full weeks and I'm 14lbs down. Today i weighed for week 5 and only lost 1lb this week but it's still moving. I like it. It's easy other than this weekend. Group went fishing with chips, dips, beer etc all weekend I cheated but enjoyed it.

SKLOSS 05-04-2018 10:58 PM

Had a rash pop up on the back of my left elbow last Sat. Then my right on Sun. I knew it wasnít poison ivy since I hadnít been in the woods or anywhere around it. Then it showed up on my left bicep, around the edge of both armpits, and my inner right thigh. Went to the dermatologist on Tue, and she said I came into contact with something. No way to determine what it was, but She prescribed a steroid cream. Steroid cream was working great and then tonight I noticed it had popped up on the backs of both knees. W T H?? I asked my wife if she changed detergents. ďNoĒ. Then she asked me if I thought it could be related to keto. So I googled it and sure enough there is a rash associated with being in ketosis for extended periods of time. No one knows exactly what causes it, but there is a definite correlation. Could be a mineral deficiency. Could be related to fasting too often. Could be almond overdose. Or any number of things.

So if you get a rash, it might be the ketosis. Crazy!! Guess Iíll be taking a break from the diet for a while. Dang the luck!

https://www.perfectketo.com/keto-rash/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael 05-06-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKLOSS (Post 13355939)
Had a rash pop up on the back of my left elbow last Sat. Then my right on Sun. I knew it wasnít poison ivy since I hadnít been in the woods or anywhere around it. Then it showed up on my left bicep, around the edge of both armpits, and my inner right thigh. Went to the dermatologist on Tue, and she said I came into contact with something. No way to determine what it was, but She prescribed a steroid cream. Steroid cream was working great and then tonight I noticed it had popped up on the backs of both knees. W T H?? I asked my wife if she changed detergents. ďNoĒ. Then she asked me if I thought it could be related to keto. So I googled it and sure enough there is a rash associated with being in ketosis for extended periods of time. No one knows exactly what causes it, but there is a definite correlation. Could be a mineral deficiency. Could be related to fasting too often. Could be almond overdose. Or any number of things.

So if you get a rash, it might be the ketosis. Crazy!! Guess Iíll be taking a break from the diet for a while. Dang the luck!

https://www.perfectketo.com/keto-rash/

Wow! Thanks for the 411.

I stopped Keto last weekend and then got a call from my dr's office about my high cholesterol and wanting to put me on statins. I initially decided to stay off Keto for awhile to see if it self regulated. Then I started researching high cholesterol and am both fascinated and alarmed at what newer studies have revealed about the relationship (or lack of) between cholesterol and heart disease, and yet statin drugs remain the #1 prescribed rx in the US.

If you have cholesterol issues you may find this compelling.

http://youtu.be/-QwD4xoSmRg

Casey 05-06-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 13357383)
Wow! Thanks for the 411.

I stopped Keto last weekend and then got a call from my dr's office about my high cholesterol and wanting to put me on statins. I initially decided to stay off Keto for awhile to see if it self regulated. Then I started researching high cholesterol and am both fascinated and alarmed at what newer studies have revealed about the relationship (or lack of) between cholesterol and heart disease, and yet statin drugs remain the #1 prescribed rx in the US.

I believe that's the guy my Dad has followed religiously lately. As much research as Pop has done, he's been poopooing the high cholesterol stuff for over a decade. I, for one, do not believe it's the culprit in heart disease.

tex4k 05-06-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey (Post 13357458)
I believe that's the guy my Dad has followed religiously lately. As much research as Pop has done, he's been poopooing the high cholesterol stuff for over a decade. I, for one, do not believe it's the culprit in heart disease.

I don't remember details but was reading about some study that persons with the proper high cholesterol are way less likely to have Alzheimer's, the brain and nervous system are loaded with fats and cholesterol and require them for proper function.

icetrauma 05-06-2018 04:08 PM

It also takes your body a while to 100%, not just fat adapt, to keto. The importance of cholesterol in your diet and body is more than what the medical community wants to admit. Any knew way of thinking is always met with resistance because well, their is a pill for that and everything for a pill. Not all cholesterol is bad.

TexaRican 05-06-2018 06:04 PM

Taking a break for 2-3 weeks and transitioning to clean eating. Been stalled for a while now and with the hot weather I just canít seem to stay hydrated. Been craving fruit and plan to enjoy some summer cantaloupe and watermelon.
Ran my PB 5k this morning and it sure is easier with carbs in the body[emoji23]

JTeLarkin08 05-06-2018 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexaRican (Post 13358060)
Taking a break for 2-3 weeks and transitioning to clean eating. Been stalled for a while now and with the hot weather I just canít seem to stay hydrated. Been craving fruit and plan to enjoy some summer cantaloupe and watermelon.
Ran my PB 5k this morning and it sure is easier with carbs in the body[emoji23]

I am going to start just a clean eating diet tomorrow. Lean meats health fats and some good carbs thrown in. I didnít like the way I felt on Keto. I have to do something to get back into shape tho.

Rack Ranch 05-09-2018 09:55 AM

Building muscle in ketosis

Anyone out there trying or have tried building muscle in ketosis or just loosing fat. I tried it in the past and maintained my muscle mass but could not build. I'm going to try 75% fat 20 % protein 5% carb but my protein intake is going to be at least 130gr or 520 calories which is .7 gram of protein per lb of body weight.

icetrauma 05-09-2018 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rack Ranch (Post 13363054)
Anyone out there trying or have tried building muscle in ketosis or just loosing fat. I tried it in the past and maintained my muscle mass but could not build. I'm going to try 75% fat 20 % protein 5% carb but my protein intake is going to be at least 130gr or 520 calories which is .7 gram of protein per lb of body weight.

I would up the protein a little more. Fat 65 protein 30 carbs 5.

Rack Ranch 05-09-2018 03:17 PM

I'll start out and give it a try, last time I had a hard time consuming all the calories because the Keto diet makes me feel full all the time. Dropping the fat may help some with that???

icetrauma 05-09-2018 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rack Ranch (Post 13363690)
I'll start out and give it a try, last time I had a hard time consuming all the calories because the Keto diet makes me feel full all the time. Dropping the fat may help some with that???

Itís worth a shot. Let us know how it goes

Pedernal 05-10-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 13357383)
Wow! Thanks for the 411.

If you have not read "wheat belly", it's worth a read. It talks a lot about the issues caused by the increased intake of "wheat" which lead to obesity and the effects as to cardiovascular health issues along with diabetes. I only have it electronically or I would offer to ship it to you. There are a lot of studies sighted by the author as proof of what is actually the leading causes of obesity and health issues we face today. I have not actually taken the time to read the studies but the evidence offered up by the author appears reasonable to me.

TexaRican 05-10-2018 01:28 PM

I'm back in today. Actually, about 18 hours into a fast. Plan to run after work and then have bacon and eggs for dinner which always gets me back in ketosis quickly.
With not even a full week off, I feel like crap. I just don't have the will power to "eat healthy" when I'm off keto now. The debauchery culminated with stuffed plantains and top shelf margaritas last night but that was celebrating 20 years with the old lady so I give myself a pass.

Michael 05-13-2018 11:31 PM

I was out for just under a week, with a plan to transition to "clean eating". I could tell a difference in my energy levels during the time I was out and until I got back into ketosis. My biggest problem is that I continue to drop lbs., especially since I've started working to get into "elk shape." I can't seem to consume enough calories! I'm down to 184...6# UNDER my goal weight.

SKLOSS 05-13-2018 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 13371657)
I was out for just under a week, with a plan to transition to "clean eating". I could tell a difference in my energy levels during the time I was out and until I got back into ketosis. My biggest problem is that I continue to drop lbs., especially since I've started working to get into "elk shape." I can't seem to consume enough calories! I'm down to 184...6# UNDER my goal weight.

Thatís a helluva problem to have!!

I took a week off as well to deal with this rash issue. Itís cleared up. I was definitely sluggish all week. Didnít consume a crazy amount of sugar, but did eat more breads/tortillas and tators. Looking fwd to getting back on the keto train.

JTeLarkin08 05-13-2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 13371657)

I am starting back up tomorrow. My problem with Keto is always the weekends. I like to have a few whiskey and cokes and it screws me up completely.. Im gonna not drink at all the next 2-3 weeks and see how keto goes

TexaRican 05-14-2018 08:12 AM

The young'un is coming home from UT today and all 3 of us plan to keto-melt the summer away. Momma cooked up some bacon and eggs last night and vows to keep keto-friendly snacks fresh in the fridge. New gym memberships and looking at a boot camp too! Meanwhile I'm about to spend the rest of the week fighting temptations in Vegas followed by another booze drenched tradeshow in Tampa next week.:rolleyes:

wags 05-14-2018 09:18 AM

Yesterday was the end of my 11th week on keto. The scale reads just a little over 51 lbs. lost. My goal is to lose another 30 lbs, but I definitely may not stop there. This really has been the easiest thing I have ever done to lose weight. The one thing I haven't done yet is to incorporate exercise in to the equation. I stay plenty busy, but actually want to start exercising to see what happens.

In three weeks we are taking a cruise. I will not worry about keto while we are on vacation. It will be very interesting to see how I feel by not being on keto for nine days. It will also be very interesting to see how I react to alcohol again. I haven't had any in 11 weeks either.

wags 05-14-2018 09:19 AM

Double post...sorry.

Rack Ranch 05-14-2018 09:30 AM

Great job man, keep up the hard work. Exercise, especially HIIT will help you loose the last 30 for sure. G-Luck.

Dwight Yoakum knocked me out of Keto Saturday night.:D I made Fat Head Pizzas for Mothers Day and everyone loved them. Fasting today and should be back in tomorrow. One thing is certain about Keto, that is we are all a little different, I can come back into Ketosis a lot quicker than my wife and I can also have more carbs without getting kicked out. Frustrates her to no end.

Have Ya'll watched "The Magic Pill" on Netflix yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wags (Post 13372056)
Yesterday was the end of my 11th week on keto. The scale reads just a little over 51 lbs. lost. My goal is to lose another 30 lbs, but I definitely may not stop there. This really has been the easiest thing I have ever done to lose weight. The one thing I haven't done yet is to incorporate exercise in to the equation. I stay plenty busy, but actually want to start exercising to see what happens.

In three weeks we are taking a cruise. I will not worry about keto while we are on vacation. It will be very interesting to see how I feel by not being on keto for nine days. It will also be very interesting to see how I react to alcohol again. I haven't had any in 11 weeks either.

SKLOSS 05-14-2018 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wags (Post 13372056)

Congrats on the loss! Wish I could lose that fast.

JTeLarkin08 05-14-2018 06:36 PM

Ok guys I keep wavering on if I want to go Keto or just eating clean. I am going to give Keto one full month. I started today and i am gonna be super strict and not drink the next month and see how it goes. My goal is to get down to 190. Iím about 220 right now. Wish me luck.

Pedernal 05-14-2018 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 (Post 13373242)
Ok guys I keep wavering on if I want to go Keto or just eating clean. I am going to give Keto one full month. I started today and i am gonna be super strict and not drink the next month and see how it goes. My goal is to get down to 190. Iím about 220 right now. Wish me luck.

Best of luck to you Sir. You can get it done;)b;)b;)b

JTeLarkin08 05-14-2018 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedernal (Post 13373276)
Best of luck to you Sir. You can get it done;)b;)b;)b

Dinner tonight. Two eggs half a avocado sauerkraut and pronghorn steaks.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...70cda5392d.jpg

Pedernal 05-14-2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 (Post 13373297)
Dinner tonight. Two eggs half a avocado sauerkraut and pronghorn steaks.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...70cda5392d.jpg

That looks awesome!

HighwayHunter 05-14-2018 08:27 PM

Started the Keto diet the day after Easter. Lost 28lbs since then. Started the diet at 310 and hope to be at 250 by bow season so I wonít have to worry about bending any trees over this bow season.

HighwayHunter 05-14-2018 08:28 PM

Also tried egg roll in a bowl today for the first time. Keto friendly meal that takes 20 minutes to make. That is my new favorite along side cheeseburger casserole.

JTeLarkin08 05-14-2018 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighwayHunter (Post 13373440)
Also tried egg roll in a bowl today for the first time. Keto friendly meal that takes 20 minutes to make. That is my new favorite along side cheeseburger casserole.

If you have a link share those please

HighwayHunter 05-14-2018 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 (Post 13373443)
If you have a link share those please

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ketogas...wl-recipe/amp/

https://lowcarbyum.com/bacon-cheeseburger-casserole/

Go easy on the tomato paste in the cheeseburger casserole and add in some Worcestershire sauce with the meat as it goes into baking tray. I like putting onions in mine and then guacamole on it after I pull it out of the oven.

HighwayHunter 05-14-2018 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rack Ranch (Post 13372075)
Great job man, keep up the hard work. Exercise, especially HIIT will help you loose the last 30 for sure. G-Luck.

Dwight Yoakum knocked me out of Keto Saturday night.:D I made Fat Head Pizzas for Mothers Day and everyone loved them. Fasting today and should be back in tomorrow. One thing is certain about Keto, that is we are all a little different, I can come back into Ketosis a lot quicker than my wife and I can also have more carbs without getting kicked out. Frustrates her to no end.

Have Ya'll watched "The Magic Pill" on Netflix yet?

I watched the magic pill. While Iím a huge Keto fan I believe that ďdocumentaryĒ was very dishonest.

JTeLarkin08 05-14-2018 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighwayHunter (Post 13373610)
I watched the magic pill. While Iím a huge Keto fan I believe that ďdocumentaryĒ was very dishonest.

What did you think was dishonest about it.

HighwayHunter 05-14-2018 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 (Post 13373658)
What did you think was dishonest about it.

How they claimed the autistic kids were ďcuredĒ by a Keto diet. They didnít include how long those kids were in speech therapy or when they started actively working on said problems. They seem to have measured it as once they started a Keto diet this kid learned how to read and write. Never said when he began working with a specialist, or any other important comparable factors. It was interesting but I kinda tuned out after they skipped over all of that very pertinent information.

TexaRican 06-13-2018 02:27 PM

Dang! I've been working out so freakin hard and doing so many things wrong in my diet.:mad: Time to get back to whole-foods keto, no sweetners, no snacking. Great video here:

https://youtu.be/kZXVqvn1uhw

Rack Ranch 06-13-2018 03:05 PM

He needs to figure out a diet to stop his GERD, he was belching up the entire video. :) Good video!!

kumathebear 06-13-2018 05:54 PM

Update...wife has lost 21 pounds and I've lost 17 at about 5 weeks. Biggest thing for me is my blood sugar tests are averaging 85-95 every morning and the afternoon sticks are around 90 on average. This is HUGE for me and has become a way of life for us now. Stated before, my wife has a 500 recipe book for Keto and since she is retired loves to experiment with different recipes. MOSt are delicious....we have changed our health and lifestyle due to KETO! Oh, still get my "sweet" deserts from the KETO as well....."who would have known?"

icetrauma 06-13-2018 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kumathebear (Post 13428614)
Update...wife has lost 21 pounds and I've lost 17 at about 5 weeks. Biggest thing for me is my blood sugar tests are averaging 85-95 every morning and the afternoon sticks are around 90 on average. This is HUGE for me and has become a way of life for us now. Stated before, my wife has a 500 recipe book for Keto and since she is retired loves to experiment with different recipes. MOSt are delicious....we have changed our health and lifestyle due to KETO! Oh, still get my "sweet" deserts from the KETO as well....."who would have known?"

That is awesome right there!!! Congrats!!

JTeLarkin08 06-13-2018 06:01 PM

Ok guys give me your thoughts on this. I have two issues with Keto. One is that Iíll be super strict for 5-6 days and then have a cheat meal and immediately gain 5 pounds or water weight back and feel like Iíve failed since i have to get back into Ketosis. My other issue is I like having a few whiskey and Diet Coke 2-3 nights a week and ya it doesnít have carbs but it seems that also take you out of Keto.

My biggest worry is that it is not good to constantly be going in and out of ketosis. That kinda has me leading to going back to a more body builder style low carb diet.

kumathebear 06-13-2018 07:00 PM

?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 (Post 13428624)
Ok guys give me your thoughts on this. I have two issues with Keto. One is that Iíll be super strict for 5-6 days and then have a cheat meal and immediately gain 5 pounds or water weight back and feel like Iíve failed since i have to get back into Ketosis. My other issue is I like having a few whiskey and Diet Coke 2-3 nights a week and ya it doesnít have carbs but it seems that also take you out of Keto.

My biggest worry is that it is not good to constantly be going in and out of ketosis. That kinda has me leading to going back to a more body builder style low carb diet.

All I can say is the Whiskey & Diet Coke has not affected me in the least and I'm a type 2 diabetic with the blessings of my physician for the whiskey? I have 2-3 drinks every night by the way. We were very strict about the carbs/Keto and did not cheat until last Friday which was our anniversary. Hit the local BBQ place, took our own low/carb BBQ sauce, but had some "breaded" appetizers and 1 roll each. Both of us felt so full and not happy AND my blood tests the next morning was 140. Took only 1 day and I was back to normal on the glucose tests and elated.

It's individual, as we all know, for each person on this lifestyle...(We don't refer to KETO as a diet anymore but rather a LIFESTYLE.) There is SO much information on KETO, some we agree with and other's don't apply to us in our situation. My weight body building days are long gone so for us two Ole' Farts...it's made a world of difference for us. By the way....we judge our pounds shed on Friday weighing and the way our clothes fit. Some of the loss is water, but the clothes we could not get into before KETO can't be ignored.

Good luck and keep your "mind open" to find what works best for you!