TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Around the Campfire (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet? (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638923)

icetrauma 03-20-2017 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panhandlehunter (Post 12294442)
It's still not sustainable. Basically a revised version of the Adkins diet. Once you do fall off the diet wagon you'll gain all the weight you lost back. Eat healthy foods, get a fitbit and get your steps in.

Not a fan of fitbits. I track my macros and hit the gym 4-6 times a week and 3 days on a bad week. We all have our measuring devices. I use clothes fitting and muscle definition. And how I'm feeling of course.

It's a better version then Atkins. Atkins didn't track calories to my knowledge. Majority of people on keto tend to track better than people did on Atkins. It's all how you eat.

justletmein 03-20-2017 11:04 PM

Quote:

It's still not sustainable. Basically a revised version of the Adkins diet. Once you do fall off the diet wagon you'll gain all the weight you lost back. Eat healthy foods, get a fitbit and get your steps in.

Tell that to the people been on them 10+ years and best cholesterol and hormone numbers they've ever seen in their lives.

The problems the rumormill like this typically come from are the crazy aunt who bought Adkins book and read the first paragraph and a few meal plans and half-assed it for a few months. Educated people who do it right have great success and are more healthy than 90% of the people on this forum.

Having said that, it's not for everybody. Like you said in a previous post a mainstream diet with simple healthy foods and reduced calories will do better for a lot of people that don't have the appropriate discipline or time to research and educate themselves.

Hart8 03-20-2017 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txhunter83 (Post 12292520)
This is one of the best misspellings I've seen on here, I tried really hard to figure out what you meant and realized you misspelled deficit, then laughed out loud.

Lmao! I never did figure it out!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Gummi Bear 03-20-2017 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooligan (Post 12292411)
Tons of recipes online. It's the new rage so a ton of info available. I like that I can have avocados and bacon

It's not new. Just "rebranded" In my research, before I began, I found a diabetic cookbook from the early 20th century outlining this almost to the letter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IkemanTX (Post 12294045)
If only I could drink coffee....
Can't stand the bitterness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every morning, I fill my 32oz Yeti cup:

20 oz coffee
2 tbsp organic unsalted butter (or ghee)
1 tbsp raw organic cacao powder
2 tbsp MCT oil
3 tbsp organic heavy whipping cream

Blend it all up with a hand blender in the cup, and it is delicious and creamy. I start drinking on it at 7:00 when I roll out of the house, and usually finish it up around 10:00 when I switch to water for the rest of the day. I don't eat anything until lunch time. If you just stir the ingredients with a spoon, it will separate into layers. You need a high speed blender to emulsify the ingredients.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingib (Post 12294138)
So all you eat is coffee for breakfast? And yall will go to a track 2-3 days a week for the next 15-20 years?

Not to be Debbie downer, but this will be hard to do for a lifetime and after your body is in starvation mode you need more for breakfast. Most important meal of the day;)b

Do some searching on what "intermittent fasting" does for your body.

I've been doing this for a few months now, but I far too often fall off the wagon at supper time. I do really good all day, but at night I'm tired, and eat whatever food the rest of the family wants (there are nights I don't get home from my second job until after 9:00). My weight has stayed pretty even. When I do right, my blood sugar is much more under control, and my energy stays pretty even.

No excuses, I know what I need to do, I just need to get off my *** and get some more aerobic exercise. I also need to go to bed at a decent hour. Aside from when I was a teen, I've never been someone that stays in bed long. I usually operate on 4-6 hours of sleep, and I should be getting 7-8.

Strummer 03-20-2017 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummi Bear (Post 12294461)
It's not new. Just "rebranded" In my research, before I began, I found a diabetic cookbook from the early 20th century outlining this almost to the letter.

Every morning, I fill my 32oz Yeti cup:

20 oz coffee

2 tbsp organic unsalted butter (or ghee)

1 tbsp raw organic cacao powder

2 tbsp MCT oil

3 tbsp organic heavy whipping cream

Blend it all up with a hand blender in the cup, and it is delicious and creamy. I start drinking on it at 7:00 when I roll out of the house, and usually finish it up around 10:00 when I switch to water for the rest of the day. I don't eat anything until lunch time. If you just stir the ingredients with a spoon, it will separate into layers. You need a high speed blender to emulsify the ingredients.

Do some searching on what "intermittent fasting" does for your body.

I've been doing this for a few months now, but I far too often fall off the wagon at supper time. I do really good all day, but at night I'm tired, and eat whatever food the rest of the family wants (there are nights I don't get home from my second job until after 9:00). My weight has stayed pretty even. When I do right, my blood sugar is much more under control, and my energy stays pretty even.

No excuses, I know what I need to do, I just need to get off my *** and get some more aerobic exercise. I also need to go to bed at a decent hour. Aside from when I was a teen, I've never been someone that stays in bed long. I usually operate on 4-6 hours of sleep, and I should be getting 7-8.

What is mtc oil?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cpr1979 03-21-2017 04:45 AM

Quote:

If it's not sustainable why was it created in the 1940's for children with epilepsy. It's been proven to reduce seizures in those patients. Also think how your great grandparents cooked. They are eggs, bacon and cooked with Lars and real butter and though cancer and such was around it wasn't in the numbers it is today

MisterSanders 03-21-2017 05:04 AM

I did this diet back in May of last year, and stopped in August. I went from 207 to 165, and went from around 20% bf to around 13%. I was never tired, didn't have the after lunch lull, never had a problem getting up @ 0300 for work. Sounds too good to be true right? Be careful with this diet. Turns out this diet can leave you malnutritioned, and lacking important minerals for your body to function. In June I noticed I started having heart palpitations, and decided to go see a cardiologist just to make sure nothing was wrong. I only had them when I was sitting still, when working out or working in the yard, they didn't exist. Turns out, they were heart arrhythmias, non-sustained tachycardia. They can be caused by insufficient electrolytes in your diet, very common on this diet. Also, this diet increases adrenaline in your blood stream, which leads to irregular heart beats and heart arrhythmias. Make sure you take a supplement, and pay close attention to what your body is telling you. Since, I've had a defibrillator implanted, and have talked with other people with defibrillators. Several people went into sudden cardiac arrest on this diet, and put them close to death. Do your research. I agree with panhandlehunter, this is not something you want to stay on forever. This is great to lose body fat, but I think your best option is to ease into a paleo diet. It's more sustainable, and you aren't holding out any important nutrition from your body. Good luck on your weight loss!

MisterSanders 03-21-2017 05:06 AM

If anyone wants some easy recipes for this diet, I have several I can help ya out with. This is a great diet to stay on for a month or so, even do carb cycling.

IowaHunter 03-21-2017 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwampRabbit (Post 12293229)
I know I'll never hit my ideal BMI-crap-weight of 155. I will target to get down to 175 if I am strong.

I believe the BMI stuff is BS as a rule. Our company does that as part of our fitness review annually. I'm fit and exercise daily with a BMI of 26 while the guy with a pear shape next to me has a BMI of 17. If I get to the weight chart I'd look like a holocaust victim.

Target-panic 03-21-2017 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingib (Post 12294138)
So all you eat is coffee for breakfast? And yall will go to a track 2-3 days a week for the next 15-20 years?

Not to be Debbie downer, but this will be hard to do for a lifetime and after your body is in starvation mode you need more for breakfast. Most important meal of the day;)b

Ketosis and Starvation Mode are to separate things. Bulletproof Coffee is not just coffee. Look it up. I don't consider your comments a downer, just not well informed.
I agree that one should not necessarily stay in ketosis for the rest of their days. But if it means that I am not carrying around 80-100 extra lbs and I can cut back or eliminate regulatory meds, then sign me up. Reintroducing some of the foods that kill the ketosis will be essential to the maintenance mode of the dramatic results of the Keto way of eating.

bearintex 03-21-2017 06:58 AM

Lost about 40 pounds so far, another 40 to go doing the Keto, atkins, low carb high fat, whatever you want to call it eating lifestyle. Started early last summer after a river trip and I couldn't climb back on the raft.

Had an excellent chicken alfredo last night in fact.

Gummi Bear 03-21-2017 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strummer (Post 12294491)
What is mtc oil?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MCT is medium chain triglycerides

It is an extract made from palm or coconut oil

This is an easily understandable explanation https://wellnessmama.com/98671/mct-oil-benefits/

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

aggieman08 03-21-2017 07:10 AM

This diet will make your breath horrible!

Felix40 03-21-2017 07:14 AM

Great way to lose weight but its not something I would want to be doing forever. Its not a good way to get the best performance out of your body. Longterm its better to use intermittent fasting to go ketogenic from time to time but still using glycogen for a fuel source at the gym etc. Your body can be trained to go from one metabolic pathway to another. You will without a doubt perform and feel better at the gym when using glycogen. You will also perform better in endurance activities if your body is good at going ketogenic and using fat. There are easy ways to test yourself to tell if you can efficiently use fat.

Everyone tends to get on a fad and go waaaay to far to one side. Use a ketogenic diet to lose weight but dont be afraid to balance out your diet once the weight is off.

SwampRabbit 03-21-2017 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHunter (Post 12294585)
I believe the BMI stuff is BS as a rule. Our company does that as part of our fitness review annually. I'm fit and exercise daily with a BMI of 26 while the guy with a pear shape next to me has a BMI of 17. If I get to the weight chart I'd look like a holocaust victim.

Yep, it is a flawed marker.

And I forgot to reply to your PM (was on vacation.) I am out of canned Javi. I do have canned Axis though.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

SwampRabbit 03-21-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggieman08 (Post 12294676)
This diet will make your breath horrible!

Gotta be the #1 reason couples do it together :D

chongo 03-21-2017 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwampRabbit (Post 12292548)
A good way to get diabetes from what I hear too.

I have lost 27 lbs in 11 weeks on my diet of steak, potatoes, cereal, bread, fruit, etc.

It is called eating less, moderate exercise, and... nope thats it.

Wrong. I'm a T2 diabetic. I'm on a Keto diet. My glucose numbers are better than ever, my cholesterol is great and I'm not on any medications. This is all a result of going keto. My dr. had me on Kombiglyze and wanted me to start taking lipitor. I'm down around 20# with a few more to go. Keto doesn't cause diabetes, it's a treatment for it, T2 at least. It is also a lifestyle change, not a fad diet.

panhandlehunter 03-21-2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chongo (Post 12294996)
Wrong. I'm a T2 diabetic. I'm on a Keto diet. My glucose numbers are better than ever, my cholesterol is great and I'm not on any medications. This is all a result of going keto. My dr. had me on Kombiglyze and wanted me to start taking lipitor. I'm down around 20# with a few more to go. Keto doesn't cause diabetes, it's a treatment for it, T2 at least. It is also a lifestyle change, not a fad diet.

Any low carb diet will help manage type 2 diabetes. Honestly, there are better way to diet than this.

chongo 03-21-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panhandlehunter (Post 12295001)
Any low carb diet will help manage type 2 diabetes. Honestly, there are better way to diet than this.

For your body, maybe. Honestly, for my body, this is the best change in my diet I've ever made. There are plenty who have used a keto/LCHF diet successfully for years, athletes too. It works for me and a number of other diabetics/athletes I know. I sleep better, wake up more refreshed, have better workouts, no mid-day crash and am in a better mood with exemplary blood work.

cpr1979 03-21-2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chongo (Post 12295028)
For your body, maybe. Honestly, for my body, this is the best change in my diet I've ever made. There are plenty who have used a keto/LCHF diet successfully for years, athletes too. It works for me and a number of other diabetics/athletes I know. I sleep better, wake up more refreshed, have better workouts, no mid-day crash and am in a better mood with exemplary blood work.

Me as well. Also my blood pressure went from 140's/95+ to 116ish/85 in a matter of a month

TXBRASS 03-21-2017 10:16 AM

Im bulking now, but cut using Keto....

I found that sipping pickle juice throughout the day prevents the headache during the first couple weeks. Sodium will be high, but it will get you through the rough spot of feeling like death as your body adjusts to the diet....

icetrauma 03-21-2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterSanders (Post 12294560)
I did this diet back in May of last year, and stopped in August. I went from 207 to 165, and went from around 20% bf to around 13%. I was never tired, didn't have the after lunch lull, never had a problem getting up @ 0300 for work. Sounds too good to be true right? Be careful with this diet. Turns out this diet can leave you malnutritioned, and lacking important minerals for your body to function. In June I noticed I started having heart palpitations, and decided to go see a cardiologist just to make sure nothing was wrong. I only had them when I was sitting still, when working out or working in the yard, they didn't exist. Turns out, they were heart arrhythmias, non-sustained tachycardia. They can be caused by insufficient electrolytes in your diet, very common on this diet. Also, this diet increases adrenaline in your blood stream, which leads to irregular heart beats and heart arrhythmias. Make sure you take a supplement, and pay close attention to what your body is telling you. Since, I've had a defibrillator implanted, and have talked with other people with defibrillators. Several people went into sudden cardiac arrest on this diet, and put them close to death. Do your research. I agree with panhandlehunter, this is not something you want to stay on forever. This is great to lose body fat, but I think your best option is to ease into a paleo diet. It's more sustainable, and you aren't holding out any important nutrition from your body. Good luck on your weight loss!

Did you take any supplements? I use Potassium and Magnesium daily to help avoid what you described.

icetrauma 03-21-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Gold (Post 12295171)
Im bulking now, but cut using Keto....

I found that sipping pickle juice throughout the day prevents the headache during the first couple weeks. Sodium will be high, but it will get you through the rough spot of feeling like death as your body adjusts to the diet....

Chicken broth is good for this as well. I do enjoy a pickle juice snowcone.

chongo 03-21-2017 10:36 AM

For those interested in Keto/low carb or is diabetic - check out dietdoctor.com. Lots of good info from medical professionals and folks who've been doing it long term. Plus there are recipes and meal plans.

systemnt 03-21-2017 10:41 AM

What is the keto flu?
headaches? (like after a night of drinking alcohol with little to no water/electrolyte replenishment)
gastrointestinal?

jshouse 03-21-2017 10:54 AM

in

chongo 03-21-2017 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by systemnt (Post 12295232)
What is the keto flu?

headaches? (like after a night of drinking alcohol with little to no water/electrolyte replenishment)

gastrointestinal?

Some describe it as flu like symptoms, lethargic, headaches but without the fever.

I've never experienced it and I've gone off and on with it over the years. My body adapts very well to a low carb (less 10-15 total, not net) high fat diet.

MisterSanders 03-21-2017 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icetrauma (Post 12295213)
Did you take any supplements? I use Potassium and Magnesium daily to help avoid what you described.

I did not. The supplements do decrease the risk, but the increased adrenaline can cause issues. I have other issues creating this, but since I've stopped the keto diet, Ive only had a couple arrhythmias. They aren't constant like before.

IkemanTX 03-21-2017 11:12 AM

Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterSanders (Post 12295285)
I did not. The supplements do decrease the risk, but the increased adrenaline can cause issues. I have other issues creating this, but since I've stopped the keto diet, Ive only had a couple arrhythmias. They aren't constant like before.

Adrenaline tends to be an issue with some people with intermittent fasting as well. I had no problems with that diet over 11 months, just couldn't get my daily schedule to fit within the eating time frames. My work schedule can sometimes end up with 10-11 hours without eating, sometimes that's in the morning and it's not a problem, sometimes that's in the afternoon and I'm miserable/shaky all day. A few people I know on Keto have had improvement under those circumstances.

Junkers88 03-21-2017 11:44 AM

My wife started on a ketogenic diet years before I met her to help maintain her low body fat while lifting. It enabled her to get into a state of ketosis that she still maintains to this day. It's mildly infuriating for her to tell me that she feels "puffy" and needs to lose 5 pounds and then watch her do it over the course of a week just by adjusting her intake of certain things.

Richard.

IkemanTX 03-21-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkers88 (Post 12295391)
My wife started on a ketogenic diet years before I met her to help maintain her low body fat while lifting. It enabled her to get into a state of ketosis that she still maintains to this day. It's mildly infuriating for her to tell me that she feels "puffy" and needs to lose 5 pounds and then watch her do it over the course of a week just by adjusting her intake of certain things.

Richard.

How long has she been on the keto diet?

Junkers88 03-21-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IkemanTX (Post 12295398)
How long has she been on the keto diet?

She's been athletic and nutrition minded for +20 years, started keto right around 10 years ago. We've only been together for 7.

Richard.

denimdeerslayer 03-21-2017 11:57 AM

Well I have done Atkins before and had great results. I lost over 30 lbs in a month doing that and exercising. Plus I even quit copenhagen at the same time. That was over ten years ago and I have now gotten back to being way to heavy. Mostly due to the fact I moved to an office job and working long hours yet eating way too much of anything I wanted. I am now starting again and will look at this closely and see how it goes. It seems many of you are pretty fit and using this to get cut. Myself I am looking at just burning off the fat.
So my starting weight is 460 lbs. Lets see how it goes.

Chase This! 03-21-2017 12:05 PM

Not a fan of fad diets. Calories in versus calories out. Period.

icetrauma 03-21-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denimdeerslayer (Post 12295445)
Well I have done Atkins before and had great results. I lost over 30 lbs in a month doing that and exercising. Plus I even quit copenhagen at the same time. That was over ten years ago and I have now gotten back to being way to heavy. Mostly due to the fact I moved to an office job and working long hours yet eating way too much of anything I wanted. I am now starting again and will look at this closely and see how it goes. It seems many of you are pretty fit and using this to get cut. Myself I am looking at just burning off the fat.
So my starting weight is 460 lbs. Lets see how it goes.

Just a walk in park for ya. Your results will be awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase This! (Post 12295466)

Yeah me to, except this diet was started in the 1920's for epilepsy. I would not call a diet that has been around for 90 yrs a fad.

icetrauma 03-21-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

And if you go by calories in vs out, what does it matter rather you eat low fat vs low carb as long as IIFYM?

cpr1979 03-21-2017 12:40 PM

Quote:

You can't out work a horrible diet

SwampRabbit 03-21-2017 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icetrauma (Post 12295524)
Just a walk in park for ya. Your results will be awesome.

Yeah me to, except this diet was started in the 1920's for epilepsy. I would not call a diet that has been around for 90 yrs a fad.

It wasn't a weight loss diet then. The diet has been around though... marketed by different folks as something new so money can be made. Evidence of its success is touted but hard to find the negatives like bonking cause you accidentally ate some carbs, or headaches cause your body is not only in defecit, but imbalanced.

Like juicing, no fat, vegan, gluten free diets, it has been around but resurrected as fads that come and go, becuase they are difficult to sustain without (my opinion) genetic adaptation andvpeoole just look at one thing: weight loss, and the benefits that come with that.

icetrauma 03-21-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwampRabbit (Post 12295623)
It wasn't a weight loss diet then. The diet has been around though... marketed by different folks as something new so money can be made. Evidence of its success is touted but hard to find the negatives like bonking cause you accidentally ate some carbs, or headaches cause your body is not only in defecit, but imbalanced.

Like juicing, no fat, vegan, gluten free diets, it has been around but resurrected as fads that come and go, becuase they are difficult to sustain without (my opinion) genetic adaptation andvpeoole just look at one thing: weight loss, and the benefits that come with that.

No it wasn't but just like many other medical finds, it is a positive effect of the diet. Just like Wellbutrin was a psych med that was found to curb smoking. And Viagra was 1st a cardiac med that was found to help men with ED.

Plus, it was the only real way to treat diabetes before the discovery of insulin.

IkemanTX 03-21-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwampRabbit (Post 12295623)

The weight loss is equally as important to me as the energy stabilization. Glucose dependent diets (even non "dieting" calorie levels) have always been less than ideal for me. Historically, If I miss my meal times by two hours or more, I have issues. Headaches, weak trembles, dizziness, fatigue... glucose crashes are a **tc*
This is an issue ketone based diets have been proven to help with.

If weight loss was the only goal, I would add 300 calories of extra cardio to my day.

I completely agree that all dietary changes work only as long as they are continually adhered to. I also agree that many people can not use many different dieting styles. Body styles, chemistry, and health levels are different from person to person. This particular diet was chosen from my previous comfort in the intermittent fasting program (hitting a state of ketosis intermittently) as well as an evaluation of how my own body has reacted to different energy sources over my lifetime. My DO. happens to agree with me on the decision. It's not a silver bullet, but it is something I am willing to try. If my body adapts well to it, it is also a diet I can do permanently very easily. Literally the only "food" I will miss is beer...