TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Around the Campfire (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet? (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638923)

icetrauma 07-31-2017 10:35 AM

Also, don't forget the Magnesium supplements as well.

BigL 07-31-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rack Ranch (Post 12612257)
The rule of thumb is 2 additional teaspoons of salt to what you were eating before the diet. I use sea salt and pink salt, but also take supplementation and drink propel in my water.
A word of caution about your headaches. Make sure you are not teetering between low carb and ketosis. If your adding to many carbs on certain days you may be kicking yourself in and out and that will give you that feeling too. I know I have to go by total carbs, not net carbs. I cut out all the Atkins bars or anything with sugar alcohol and it solved my problems. Total carbs, not net carbs. Try that.

Yea I'm probably kicking myself in and out and I'm sure that's contributing to it as well. I'm also cramping up often which is why I ask about the salt. Mostly in my calves because I just moved into a 2 story house so have done a LOT of up and down stairs lately. I think I'm going to pick up some supplements and start them. Dang cramps in the middle of the night suck!

Rack Ranch 08-01-2017 11:24 AM

Video: Salt/hydration and couple other things
 
Went back and found this video that does a great job of explaining why we get dehydrated on this diet. If your in ketosis I would follow Thomas, he has a lot of great information. ;)b


TexaRican 08-01-2017 03:18 PM

Weighed in for week 2 this morning and a bit disappointing at 9.5lbs (was 8 after wk 1) but I'm staying with it. Been lifting hard and am very sore and getting some cramping so it's time to hit the store for supplements. I know I need some potassium and possibly magnesium.

IkemanTX 08-01-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexaRican (Post 12615964)
Weighed in for week 2 this morning and a bit disappointing at 9.5lbs (was 8 after wk 1) but I'm staying with it. Been lifting hard and am very sore and getting some cramping so it's time to hit the store for supplements. I know I need some potassium and possibly magnesium.



Potassium, magnesium, and sodium intake need to go up. I've gotten to where I can really judge my sodium needs by taste. When my levels are low, salt tastes so frickin good. When I've got enough sodium, the taste can get pretty overpowering quick.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rack Ranch 08-01-2017 03:59 PM

The 8 lbs you lost the first week was all water weight. Now your getting down to actual fat lose. I would measure your BF% and worry less about weight, especially when your hitting the iron hard. Keep grinding!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexaRican (Post 12615964)
Weighed in for week 2 this morning and a bit disappointing at 9.5lbs (was 8 after wk 1) but I'm staying with it. Been lifting hard and am very sore and getting some cramping so it's time to hit the store for supplements. I know I need some potassium and possibly magnesium.


JayKen86 08-01-2017 09:29 PM

Down 12 pounds in three weeks. Jeans are starting to fit a little better and that's encouraging. Ate very rich today but all extremely low carb. Eggs scrambled with pan sausage and bacon for breakfast, fresh caught Wahoo sashimi with soy and wasabi for lunch, and a ribeye with miracle noodles tossed in butter and Parmesan cheese for dinner. I was hungry today lol. For those of you lifting while in keto... is it even possible to add muscle while in ketosis? I've heard mixed opinions on this. I understand it's great exercise regardless but doubt it's possible to actually add muscle.

icetrauma 08-01-2017 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayKen86 (Post 12616973)
Down 12 pounds in three weeks. Jeans are starting to fit a little better and that's encouraging. Ate very rich today but all extremely low carb. Eggs scrambled with pan sausage and bacon for breakfast, fresh caught Wahoo sashimi with soy and wasabi for lunch, and a ribeye with miracle noodles tossed in butter and Parmesan cheese for dinner. I was hungry today lol. For those of you lifting while in keto... is it even possible to add muscle while in ketosis? I've heard mixed opinions on this. I understand it's great exercise regardless but doubt it's possible to actually add muscle.

IMO, it is possible to add on muscle but cannot do both. Choose your goal and go from their.

JayKen86 08-01-2017 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icetrauma (Post 12616987)
IMO, it is possible to add on muscle but cannot do both. Choose your goal and go from their.

Just to clarify your saying you think it is possible to add muscle while in keto, but you're not going to loose weight also?

bps3040 08-01-2017 09:57 PM

If you have Facebook, look up Keto athlete. Or you can look up Danny Vega keto


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

icetrauma 08-01-2017 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayKen86 (Post 12617000)
Just to clarify your saying you think it is possible to add muscle while in keto, but you're not going to loose weight also?

Correct, if you're taking in more calories than you burn, the goal in adding mass, you should not be losing weight. Their is a youtuber, GoodyBeats, who is doing this exact thing and vlogging it right now. He's a Texan and lives in San Marcos.


Edit...some people, on traditional diet methods, will do a recomp. This is a slow fat burn with adding muscle. It's not easy to do because you really have to know your body and your daily caloric needs.

icetrauma 08-01-2017 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bps3040 (Post 12617056)
If you have Facebook, look up Keto athlete. Or you can look up Danny Vega keto


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very good suggestions.

TexaRican 08-02-2017 12:22 PM

Loving my new post workout lunch. Chocolate protein shake (almost no carb) with a couple of ice cubes, tablespoon of coconut oil, tablespoon of fiber, and a cup of coffee all in a GNC shaker cup. Tastes like some fancy iced latte[emoji1360]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rack Ranch 08-02-2017 12:37 PM

Multiply your body weight by .8, this is the amount of protein you should intake a day. That amount should be 30% of your total calories with Fat being 65% and Carbs being 5%. Train like a mad man, I mean leave nothing in the gym. Get you BCCA's and Creatine along with 8 hours of sleep a night and see how you do. 2 500mg of Turmeric a day will help with soreness. G-Luck and keep us posted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayKen86 (Post 12616973)
Down 12 pounds in three weeks. Jeans are starting to fit a little better and that's encouraging. Ate very rich today but all extremely low carb. Eggs scrambled with pan sausage and bacon for breakfast, fresh caught Wahoo sashimi with soy and wasabi for lunch, and a ribeye with miracle noodles tossed in butter and Parmesan cheese for dinner. I was hungry today lol. For those of you lifting while in keto... is it even possible to add muscle while in ketosis? I've heard mixed opinions on this. I understand it's great exercise regardless but doubt it's possible to actually add muscle.


2014FusionM 08-02-2017 01:44 PM

Anyone doubting the Keto diet look which superstar basically follows this same diet

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele.../#366f3adc4797

Also once you enter the state of Ketosis having carbs every now and then is not a bad thing. There have been studies that show that your body will jump out of ketosis and burn the carb energy because it is easier to burn, once all of that energy is burnt it goes back into Ketosis.

icetrauma 08-02-2017 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2014FusionM (Post 12618436)
Anyone doubting the Keto diet look which superstar basically follows this same diet

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele.../#366f3adc4797

Also once you enter the state of Ketosis having carbs every now and then is not a bad thing. There have been studies that show that your body will jump out of ketosis and burn the carb energy because it is easier to burn, once all of that energy is burnt it goes back into Ketosis.


I've found this to be true, at least for me. I might have a couple of beverages and get knocked out but, I'm usually back in ketosis by the end of the next day.

Traildust 08-02-2017 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2014FusionM (Post 12618436)
Anyone doubting the Keto diet look which superstar basically follows this same diet

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele.../#366f3adc4797

Also once you enter the state of Ketosis having carbs every now and then is not a bad thing. There have been studies that show that your body will jump out of ketosis and burn the carb energy because it is easier to burn, once all of that energy is burnt it goes back into Ketosis.

Hmmm......they left out the Houston Texans!

Rack Ranch 08-02-2017 03:01 PM

Just be clear, .8 times your body weight is the number of grams of protein you should eat. So a 200lb man should eat 160 grams or 640 calories of protein (160 x 4). That would leave you with 1365 calories or 152 grams of Fat and 105 calories or 27 grams of carbs to eat. ;)b
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rack Ranch (Post 12618252)
Multiply your body weight by .8, this is the amount of protein you should intake a day. That amount should be 30% of your total calories with Fat being 65% and Carbs being 5%. Train like a mad man, I mean leave nothing in the gym. Get you BCCA's and Creatine along with 8 hours of sleep a night and see how you do. 2 500mg of Turmeric a day will help with soreness. G-Luck and keep us posted.


icetrauma 08-02-2017 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rack Ranch (Post 12618665)
Just be clear, .8 times your body weight is the number of grams of protein you should eat. So a 200lb man should eat 160 grams or 640 calories of protein (160 x 4). That would leave you with 1365 calories or 152 grams of Fat and 105 calories or 27 grams of carbs to eat. ;)b

I heard/read it was 0.8 grams per lean pound of body mass.

Rack Ranch 08-02-2017 03:41 PM

Gotcha, please explain the difference and how you come up with LBM.
Thx

Quote:

Originally Posted by icetrauma (Post 12618703)
I heard/read it was 0.8 grams per lean pound of body mass.


icetrauma 08-02-2017 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rack Ranch (Post 12618755)
Gotcha, please explain the difference and how you come up with LBM.
Thx

Get body fat checked, how you do it is up to you. Some do calipers, dexa scans or other means. Subtract the fat percentage from your lbs and that = lbm.

Example, because 200 is a nice round number. Say you're 200 lbs and 20% bf

200 @ 20% - 160 lbs of lean mass.

160 x .8 = 128 grams of protein daily.

gingib 08-02-2017 03:56 PM

If it sounds too good to be true it normally is..... new miraculous diet!!! lol

Just workout, be active, and most importantly eat better. Its not a miracle.

You don't have to starve yourself

icetrauma 08-02-2017 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingib (Post 12618792)
If it sounds too good to be true it normally is..... new miraculous diet!!! lol

Just workout, be active, and most importantly eat better. Its not a miracle.

You don't have to starve yourself

Who is starving themselves? My current daily intake is between 3200-3500 calories per day.

Rack Ranch 08-02-2017 04:01 PM

Thx, I guess I have been over doing it some but .8 is on the small side. Still hard to get it all, especially on days when I IF. I'm at 13% BF so that's about 24g less. ;)b

Quote:

Originally Posted by icetrauma (Post 12618769)
Get body fat checked, how you do it is up to you. Some do calipers, dexa scans or other means. Subtract the fat percentage from your lbs and that = lbm.

Example, because 200 is a nice round number. Say you're 200 lbs and 20% bf

200 @ 20% - 160 lbs of lean mass.

160 x .8 = 128 grams of protein daily.


icetrauma 08-02-2017 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rack Ranch (Post 12618806)
Thx, I guess I have been over doing it some but .8 is on the small side. Still hard to get it all, especially on days when I IF. I'm at 13% BF so that's about 24g less. ;)b

Nice BF%. I'm currently around 18-20% at 285. It can be hard to meet your daily needs. I find myself falling short because I'm to full eat. And I'm not going to force feed myself.

duckmanep 08-02-2017 04:21 PM

maybe this was covered already... but what about 0 carb energy drinks like the Monster Zero's?

icetrauma 08-02-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckmanep (Post 12618859)
maybe this was covered already... but what about 0 carb energy drinks like the Monster Zero's?

My favorites are the White and Blue Monsters and the White and Black Rockstar. Bang is also a good one. Yes, I use them and it has has not affected my ketosis. Once you're fat adapted, the keto coffee can really give ya a good boost.

MIHunter 08-02-2017 06:17 PM

So what's the list of supplements?
Salt
Magnesium
Turmeric
Multi,
What am I missing?

BCAA's,

I'm wanting to jump in but I also want to have everything when I do

icetrauma 08-02-2017 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIHunter (Post 12619146)
So what's the list of supplements?
Salt
Magnesium
Turmeric
Multi,
What am I missing?

BCAA's,

I take

Fiber
Controlled Labs Orange Triad mvi
Magnesium
Himalayan Pink Salt
Fish Oil
Preworkout - Hyde

On the list but not taking now.

Controlled Labs greens
BPI makes an amino supp with CLA and Coconut oil


Not a supplement but chicken broth can be good for extra salt if you need it.

MIHunter 08-02-2017 06:26 PM

What's the portion Icetrauma?

icetrauma 08-02-2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIHunter (Post 12619171)
What's the portion Icetrauma?

Fiber is HEB generic brand I take 6 capsules twice a day. Breakfast and Lunch
Mag is 250 mg 1 tab daily. Breakfast
Forgot to add Potassium Citrate, not sure of dose but 1 time daily. Breakfast
CL Orange Triad 3 tabs twice a day. Breakfast and Lunch
Nordic Fish Oil 2 tabs twice a day. Breakfast and Supper
Salt with each meal as much as I feel is necessary.

MIHunter 08-02-2017 06:37 PM

Thanks

TexaRican 08-02-2017 07:07 PM

Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?
 
Just finally watched those YouTube videos and I will be hitting HEB for some ingredients in the morning! Time to try that keto coffee with cacao and MCT oil.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icetrauma 08-02-2017 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIHunter (Post 12619196)
Thanks

You're welcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexaRican (Post 12619281)
Just finally watched those YouTube videos and I will be hitting HEB for some ingredients in the morning! Time to try that keto coffee with cacao and MCT oil.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer coconut oil over MCT oil. MCT oil gives me a case of the bubble guts.

BigL 08-03-2017 10:35 AM

Started potassium and magnesium today. Also got the mio electrolytes to water. I'm hanging in until Sunday. If the headaches and cramps don't end, I'm off this diet. I've lost 25# already but have had a headache for most of the month and can't keep walking around with a headache that make it hard for me to focus.

Rack Ranch 08-03-2017 11:14 AM

If your taking ketone salts consider stopping. If your diet is right you don't need them daily. I take them to help me get back into ketosis when I carb out and they give me terrible headaches. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

SwampRabbit 08-03-2017 01:39 PM

I've been following this thread because I made comments on it early on. I see a lot of comments about needing to supplement while on this diet.

Are there people on this diet that are not having to supplement? They get what they need from basic food and meals within the diet's constraints? It still baffles me that your body somewhat fights against this mode and yet it is considered a good place to be.

Traildust 08-03-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwampRabbit (Post 12621347)
I've been following this thread because I made comments on it early on. I see a lot of comments about needing to supplement while on this diet.

Are there people on this diet that are not having to supplement? They get what they need from basic food and meals within the diet's constraints? It still baffles me that your body somewhat fights against this mode and yet it is considered a good place to be.

My body welcomed Blue Bell, Zebra cakes and Mexican food.....it turned into a bad place to be:D

Strummer 08-03-2017 02:24 PM

Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mann Eye-Ashley (Post 12601515)
Here is the link for the biscuits https://snapguide.com/guides/make-low-carb-biscuits/ and then I kind of add my own spices to change things up...they're really actually pretty tasty! https://www.ruled.me/10-minute-keto-country-gravy/ This is recipe for cream gravy.

Pancakes: https://theketocookbook.com/keto-recipes/keto-pancakes/ I'm still playing with this recipe a bit to get the consistency and flavor I like, but even the first time I made them I was impressed!



I just pulled the biscuits out of the oven from the recipe things are awesome. Reminds me a lot of red lobster biscuits
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...13b00fcc3c.jpg

SwampRabbit 08-03-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traildust (Post 12621360)
My body welcomed Blue Bell, Zebra cakes and Mexican food.....it turned into a bad place to be:D

Did it though? Let's be honest. I know you were being funny, but I can eat that stuff in moderation. And as long as I eat it in moderation, my body handles it just fine. It is however, when I eat too much and too often, that I get the not so great side effects. Weight gain, indigestion, bowel rage, etc.

I pretty much eat a variety of food. Pizza, burgers, sausage, cake, cobbler, salads, fried fish, spaghetti, sandwiches, yogurt, fruit, chips, cereal. I've lost significant weight and maintained weight on that "diet" because I was honest about how much I really needed to eat.

And if I eat too much of one thing that isn't "clean" or balanced, my body lets me know. Eat too much fried food... and your body will punish you for it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com