Lo light remedy for fiber optic sights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lo light remedy for fiber optic sights

Just wondering if anyone has had trouble with fiber optic sights during low light . The standard sight light doesn't work for fiber optic sights because they gather light on the ends of the fiber optic strands. I had a good bit of trouble seeing the sight pins in the evening in my pop up blind because the blind is all black inside . Any solutions out there ?

they gather light along the entire length of the fiber. several sights have light mounts that aim the light along the body of the fiber, not the end. the fiber may be cracked or broken if a light aimed in the middle is not making it to the tip of the fiber.

Comment

Okay I wasn't aware of that . The only light ive seen mounts on the body of the sight above the pins .

Comment

Originally posted by red View Post
        they gather light along the entire length of the fiber. several sights have light mounts that aim the light along the body of the fiber, not the end. the fiber may be cracked or broken if a light aimed in the middle is not making it to the tip of the fiber.
        light anywhere along the fiber ought to brighten it up. I agree the fiber must be broken . . . . .my new sight stinks when it is dim, I have to use the light in order to get it bright inside of a blind.

Comment

What about using a small glow stick? We used to do the night Frisbee golf tournaments and tape these little 1 1/2" glow sticks to the bottom of the discs. You could probably put one of those on the clear part of the sight with a piece of electrical tape on it so the light would only shine in on the fiber strands, and not light up your blind.

Comment

Originally posted by XJessen89 View Post
            What about using a small glow stick? We used to do the night Frisbee golf tournaments and tape these little 1 1/2" glow sticks to the bottom of the discs. You could probably put one of those on the clear part of the sight with a piece of electrical tape on it so the light would only shine in on the fiber strands, and not light up your blind.
            the original trophy ridge flatliner sight had a hole in the housing to insert a small glow stick. Didn't work worth a flip in my experience with them

Comment

Just a reminder that if you want your trophy to make the P&Y Book, lighted sights are no bueno:

The Rules of Fair Chase

The term “Fair Chase” shall not include the taking of animals under the following conditions:
              By the use of electronic devices for attracting, locating or pursuing game or guiding the hunter to such game, or by the use of a bow or arrow to which any electronic device is attached with the exception of lighted nocks and recording devices that cast no light towards the target and do not aid in rangefinding, sighting or shooting the bow.

I use a crosshair sight on my compound, without a peep, so that I can shoot in the lowest light conditions.

Comment

There is always going to be a problem with seeing fibers when the target is brighter than the fiber. Even on 2D targets in the sun when the fibers are in the shade.
                There are a lot of small lights that can be attached to the sight bar to light the fibers. Try to find one that you can adjust the brightness on. In low light the fibers can over power the target and make it difficult to aim.
                You also don't want the light to be focused toward the target.

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
                  There is always going to be a problem with seeing fibers when the target is brighter than the fiber. Even on 2D targets in the sun when the fibers are in the shade.
                  There are a lot of small lights that can be attached to the sight bar to light the fibers. Try to find one that you can adjust the brightness on. In low light the fibers can over power the target and make it difficult to aim.
                  You also don't want the light to be focused toward the target.
                  I noticed that the pins are difficult to see when the sun is shining outside but relatively dark in the blind . I was thinking of building a make shift hood over my sight ring similar to rifle sun shade.

Comment

I forget the brand but there is a light with several steps of brightness that works fairly well. The trouble I have had is even with the light the pins don't light up that well if it is sunny outside.

Comment

Originally posted by glpoe1 View Post
                      I forget the brand but there is a light with several steps of brightness that works fairly well. The trouble I have had is even with the light the pins don't light up that well if it is sunny outside.
                      Zbros makes an awesome light. They're out of Fredericksburg. Super good guys. Daniel Zintgraff is the owner. Look up zbrosarchery.com. It's adapts to
                      multiple sights and it has a usb cord for charging it up. I've had mine for 6 months using it for 3D and hunting. Still on my 1st charge.

Comment

Most newer sights have a hole the lights thread in and shine only on the wound up part of the fibers. Mine works great. Unless you forget to shut it off.

Comment

Working...
                        X