Panama City fishing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panama City fishing advice

Headed to Panama City for the July 4th week, and plan to fish my butt off. I was thinking of toning my jet skis so I could run around and maybe hit some offshore rigs. Any of this seem reasonable? And what about pig hunting in the area?

Thanks
    Bert

Jet skis would be fun way to go see some pretty water. It’s real clean water. I don’t recall seeing Platforms like the Texas coast. Could just go drift baits and see what happens

Comment

FLA does not allow offshore drilling rigs since their major economic impact is tourism and beaches. They don’t want any environmental disasters

Comment

Yeah, no rigs. Slow troll with cigar minnows for kings. There's natural bottom structure just south and east of both piers that hold bait all year. Bonita and kings were extremely thick last summer very very near shore. West bay is good inshore for specs and redfish.

Comment

I was born and raised in Panama City, my mother still lives there.

Some tips; pay for/put in at St. Andrews State Park. Grand lagoon has decent bait if you know how to throw a cast net and the access to the gulf is immediate.

Get through the pass as early as you can. In the summer when tanker and recreational traffic pick up, it gets to be a hot mess in terms of chop and the wind somehow always comes out of the south.

Stay away from the Bay Side of Shell Island. Drunk yahoos and locals with attitudes.

You'll want something like a Penn Senator 6 for trolling. Rig up a skirt and some spanish sardines or the like, get to between 1 and 2 miles off shore (55-75 feet of water, depending) and troll. You should light up the Kings if conditions are right.

If you fish INSIDE the Bay, head to the power poles near St. Andrews Blvd - beware, it's shallow but flounder and spanish macs love the grassbeds. Chartreuse jigs on half ounce heads and decent spinning tackle.

If you want to get really frisky go check out a place called the Dive Locker on Thomas Drive and 23rd street just over the bridge - if you take them a flash drive they will give you, for free, public wreck numbers. Lots of good fishing around some of them.

Hope you have all the luck in the world.

Comment

Thanks a lot. I’m starting to get really excited

Comment

Any other advice

Comment

Can Anyone recommend a fishing guide for inshore and offshore?

Comment

Working...
                X