Electronic dog collars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronic dog collars

What is your overall opinion on electronic dog collars for hunting dogs? Pros/cons, or any negative experiences?

My very un professional opinion is that they can be a good tool if used right. Dont teach commands with an e collar, enforce commands that are already learned.

Comment

I use them when running my pack of beagles aka the "Gang of Idiots". A collar is a great tool if used properly. If not used properly it's easy to ruin a good dog.

I rarely have to shock them anymore. While training I always tone them before lightly shocking. After they are trash broke (running deer or off game) I can just blow my whistle, tone them and they head for the truck to load up.

There are some good videos on Youtube.

Comment

Bar none the most effective tool in dog training.

That said there are right ways and wrong ways. Lots of great videos on YouTube. Look up ecollar conditioning.

Biggest mistakes are using to high a setting... I've never had to go past 3. Vibrate works most of the time once they are conditioned.

Second biggest mistake. Using the collar too early... 6 months is the ABSOLUTE BARE MINNIMUM. Im a fan of 8 months. The dog needs to understand what the CORRECT response is B4 they zapped...

Also.. some dogs are just too soft... I've got an older dog who if you look at him funny he gets BUTT hurt. Not a good ecollar candidate
        Last edited by catslayer; 09-25-2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Best thing I ever got for my catahoula and can't wait to get my pup started on one. Gona give him another month or two before I introduce him to the lighting.

Comment

I would not consider training any other way. I use the Garmin Alpha and can track and train my dogs. I like the idea that you can discipline them without physically spanking them which can sometimes make them shy.
            Adios,
            Gary

Comment

They work great on the kids too if they get out of line

Comment

Catch the garmin unit on sale bassprocabelas. worth the cash. my blue lacey deer finder loves hers.

Comment

If used correctly its a great tool. I have the tri tronics sport combo g3 and its worked great!

Comment

They make a great tool. Use them for reinforcement on the commands/actions the dog already knows. Some folks abuse them, but, used properly they can really help with the dogs growth and obedience.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                      I would not consider training any other way. I use the Garmin Alpha and can track and train my dogs. I like the idea that you can discipline them without physically spanking them which can sometimes make them shy.
                      Adios,
                      Gary
                      Anything else a working man can afford?

Sent from my LM-X210CMR using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post

You can pick up just an e collar pretty cheap...decent one will run you a couple hundred bucks. If your wanting GPS tracking you can get a Garmin astro for cheaper than the alpha also you can find some used astros on some of the hog doggers websites.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post

Garmin SPORT PRO. Works for all breeds of dogs. Best-seller is PERFECT for 95% of dogs. Features 3/4-mile range, Bark Limiter & Beacon Lights Add a long line and training DVD for a penny! $249.99.The Garmin / Tri-Tronics SPORT PRO is simple, compact and lightweight with a 3/4-mile range. One Handed Operation Easily select from 10 levels of continuous or momentary stimulation with positive clicks between levels -- perfect for one-handed operation so you can keep your eyes on your dog, not your transmitter. Four Button Design Four training buttons give you instant control over continuous and momentary stimulation, vibration and tone. Built-in Bark Limiter Re -- Garmin Sport PRO 2-dog, Garmin Sport PRO 3-dog, Penny Bundle DVD + Checkcord, Garmin SportPRO Collar and Transmitter, Sport PRO Transmitter Front, Sport PRO Transmitter Back, Sport PRO Transmitter Left Side, Sport PRO Transmitter Right Side, Sport PRO Transmitter Lanyard Slot, Sport PRO Transmitter in Hand, Sport PRO Dial Detail, Sport PRO Transmitter USB Port, Sport PRO Collar, Sport PRO Collar Bottom, Sport PRO Collar Probe Comparison, Sport PRO Collar Charging Contacts, Sport PRO Collar Charging Clip, Sport PRO Collar Lights On, Sport PRO Collar Lights in the Dark, Sport PRO Scaled, Sport PRO Accessories, Sport PRO Collar and Transmitter on Charger, Sport PRO Charger Detail, Sport PRO Box, PRO Collar on a Beagle, PRO Collar on a Beagle, PRO Collar on a Hound, PRO Collar on a Hound, PRO Collar on a Pointer, Sport Pro Lanyard Instructions, Since 1972. Call Steve Snell (800-624-6378) 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.

I had a cheaper garmin delta before and didn't like it.

Comment

I use a sportdog sporthunter 800. Its 10 years old and I replaced the battery once. I haven't shocked my dog in years. I use the beep to let her know she is getting to far in front of me when we pheasant hunt.

Comment

I just picked up a SportDog 425 for $99 shipped on ebay. New open box. If you don't need GPS.

Comment

Working...
                              X