Tail whip out of nowhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tail whip out of nowhere

Been shooting every day since I signed up for a hog hunt in the latter part of February. When I stepped outside today however something has changed. First shaft off the string tail whipped so hard left that it darn near hit the target sideways at 12 yards. I probably shot 20 times after that and couldn't make the tail whip go away. Put that bow up and opened a beer.

Nothing with the bow or arrows has changed, BH is still dead nuts on. I'm doing something wrong. Will try again tomorrow to see if I can figure out what I'm doing.

God bless and happy hunting.
    Richard.
    Last edited by Junkers88; 01-10-2018, 08:03 PM.

Change shooting gloves recently? That can throw guys off sometimes.

Sounds more like you are plucking the release to me though. Maybe try focusing strictly on pulling back hard until the arrow just appears in the target. That clears up my release most of the time. Something about thinking about letting go of the string messes me up badly.

Comment

If nothing on the bow has changed, then it's definitely something you are doing.

The four primary things to cause this:

(1) Bad release/plucking the string
      (2) dropping/tossing your bow arm during the shot
      (3) short drawing the bow
      (4) change in the way you are gripping the bow

Or (5) a combination of 1, 2, 3, or 4.

Rick

Comment

I will add this: Usually when my shooting goes awry I can fix it by inspecting 3 major pieces of my shot. Bow arm/shoulder strong to target, a longer pause at anchor to hone my focus on the spot I'm shooting, and a really strong back (increasing back tension all the way through the shot routine until the arrow is in the target).

Comment

great things to think about Trump!

Comment

sounds like your torqueing your bow hand..

Comment

Yeah it's for sure me and not the equipment. Shafts were flying great yesterday. I'll hit it again tomorrow after work and focus on each part of my form. It's probably something little (a.k.a. stupid) that I am doing incorrect.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                Yeah it's for sure me and not the equipment. Shafts were flying great yesterday. I'll hit it again tomorrow after work and focus on each part of my form. It's probably something little (a.k.a. stupid) that I am doing incorrect.

Richard.
                We all go through it now & then. You'll figure it out.

Rick

Comment

I recently had the same problem and it was driving me crazy - arrows flying severely tail left. I know these arrows fly straight when I do my job. I struggled with it and started doubting everything - the longer it went the worst it got. I finally figured out my problem was twofold. My release had gotten funky - I was out of rhythm and thinking about it too much. Additionally I was so intent on watching the arrow for odd flight I was dropping my bow arm so I could see it better. Lots of shots close range at a blank bail got me back in the groove.

Comment

Take a break for a few days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
                      Take a break for a few days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Good advice ^^^here. This has worked for me several times.

Comment

Always nice when you take a two day break and the first arrows back are against each other in the right spot. Richard. If you shot today and saw that tail movement it was the 25mph North wind. I tried a few when I got in, but DANG. My hypothesis to your dilemma is you are trying to hard. Relax, clear your mind and forget the other bad shots. When I can really refocus between shots my shooting improves, a little frustration and the thing comes apart.
                        OH, and let the string move from your hand by "relaxing" the fingers. That one gets me all to often.

Comment

I always wondered if bad form caused it as well. I have had this issue and can never seem to get it tuned perfectly. Guess I need to work on correct shooting form more.

Comment

Junkers: you didn't happen to be shooting in the wind when you got this erratic arrow flight, did you?

'Cause, let me tell you, I shot today (Thursday afternoon) as that front was blowing in -- and I mean 35-40 mph wind, dropping 15 degrees in less than an hour. Anyway, it so happened that I was shooting WITH the wind, and my arrows were doing all manner of whirly-gigging, fish-tailing and whatnot. Wasn't consistent, though, and different movements. Kind of interesting. Tried timing shots between gusts. Will just consider the practice mostly form work and conditioning.

Comment

Wind was crazy here yesterday too!! I didn't even try to shoot.

Comment

Working...
                              X