TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Making Progress: getting work done in Coleman county (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361856)

SuperExotics 03-10-2013 12:48 PM

Making Progress: getting work done in Coleman county
 
1 Attachment(s)
With inspiration and permission from Unclefish, I am going to document the work and play at our property in Coleman county.

I hope that this will be useful and informative as I see what works for me and what doesn't, and also as i learn more and more about management.

I have been working and hunting on this property for the past 6 years and we had the opportunity to purchase it this year.

We went down yesterday to try to shoot a few hogs, and ended up getting rained on, but only totaling about 1/10 inch.

These two youngsters came in last night, nice potential! Three doe also snuck in before dark. I had 2 other people in different stands and the deer count last night was 17 with 5 bucks.

SuperExotics 03-10-2013 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We woke up early this morning to get feeders filled before church, but were delayed by 6 doe eating at the feeder in the yard.

As we rounded the corner to this feeder 4 hogs busted out but, not thinking, I left my rifle at the silo. No worries... their time will come soon!

Muddy Bud 03-10-2013 12:58 PM

Nice. Looking forward to watching the progress of the property. Keep us posted.

SuperExotics 03-10-2013 12:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
My wheat and oat plot is looking a lot better after last weeks drizzle. The first picture is the 10 acre plot.Attachment 467259 The second picture is of my 2 acre buck forage oat plot that is getting grazed pretty heavily. Attachment 467265

The protein feeder isn't getting hit as hard as I anticipated, but I am switching to red chain 17% next week. Attachment 467266

The lake is low but still holding water. There were 3 gadwall on it this morning. Ill probably build a duck blind next month on it. Attachment 467267

This tank is very low. We need more rain bad!Attachment 467268

Im going to be back out this coming week to bring out protein and plant about an acre of milo, so ill update again then.

Adam G. 03-10-2013 02:20 PM

looking real nice

Shake N' Bake 03-10-2013 02:29 PM

Following

BallisticHunter 03-10-2013 02:34 PM

Looks very good

BIG BONE 03-10-2013 03:08 PM

Following

unclefish 03-10-2013 09:33 PM

You certainly didn't need my permission to start a thread like this...lol! I look forward to following along with you Sippy and learn from what you are doing. That's what this forum is all about.

Tell us more about your place. How many acres? What kinds of bucks have been taken so far?

SuperExotics 03-11-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclefish (Post 6750597)
You certainly didn't need my permission to start a thread like this...lol! I look forward to following along with you Sippy and learn from what you are doing. That's what this forum is all about.

Tell us more about your place. How many acres? What kinds of bucks have been taken so far?

I didnt want to steal your thunder! :D

250 acres on the Coleman/Brown line. For the past 7 years 2 bucks have been taken every year, but the high populations have been able to support that.

Avg. 4.5 yr old is in the 130-140 range. 3 over 150 have been killed since 2008. There are great genetics in the area.

They also didn't run trail cameras, so there is no telling what they weren't seeing that was coming in throughout the night.


My biggest management concern right now is the predator population. I killed 2 coyotes back to back a few weeks ago and have seen 3 since. Fawn mortality was pretty high last year, but im trying to give them a better chance this year. Nest predators are also being trapped at the moment, but the turkey populations are still relatively high.

SuperExotics 03-11-2013 09:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a better look at the larger of the bucks. Attachment 467792

Im excited to see what he turns into.

jmangrem 03-11-2013 09:51 AM

Great thread to start. I'll be keeping up.
I am making similar management efforts on my place in Nolan County.
My foundation principels: Provide water, supplement feed, improve habitat, predator control, population control, and have fun.
Good luck.

jshouse 03-11-2013 09:52 AM

very nice sippy, i love these kind of threads and hope to start one on my little place soon, maybe i will take some pics today when i go check cams and feeders.

good luck with your projects buddy, looking forward to following along!

SuperExotics 03-11-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jshouse (Post 6752105)
very nice sippy, i love these kind of threads and hope to start one on my little place soon, maybe i will take some pics today when i go check cams and feeders.

good luck with your projects buddy, looking forward to following along!

Do it!

jshouse 03-11-2013 10:04 AM

sir yes sir!

SuperExotics 03-11-2013 01:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Im a believer in the trophy rock. These 2 will go out Wednesday.

jshouse 03-11-2013 03:08 PM

sippy i was able to snap a few pics today but for me to nerd out on my post like i want to is gonna take some time so i will either do it tonight or in the morning.

i agree on the trophy rock as well, so far this year i only have does checking it out but last summer i had a several bucks hitting it as well.

Shake N' Bake 03-11-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sippy (Post 6753105)
Im a believer in the trophy rock. These 2 will go out Wednesday.

I thought I recognized y'all at Cabelas earlier. But I didn't want you to think I was some kind of stalker if I came up and introduced myself.

Crazy Horse 03-11-2013 03:38 PM

beautiful property Sippy...following!!! ;)b

SuperExotics 03-11-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jshouse (Post 6753526)
sippy i was able to snap a few pics today but for me to nerd out on my post like i want to is gonna take some time so i will either do it tonight or in the morning.

i agree on the trophy rock as well, so far this year i only have does checking it out but last summer i had a several bucks hitting it as well.

Anxiously awaiting your thread ;)b
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shake N' Bake (Post 6753662)
I thought I recognized y'all at Cabelas earlier. But I didn't want you to think I was some kind of stalker if I came up and introduced myself.

Well heck, next time be friendly :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Horse (Post 6753673)
beautiful property Sippy...following!!! ;)b

Thank you!

Adam G. 03-11-2013 05:40 PM

nice pics

Karmstrong 03-11-2013 08:54 PM

Keep it up. I just purchased a place in just outside Hico about the same size. Do not know what I need to do first but reading some of these post lets me know it is a never ending process.

TexasAggie04 03-11-2013 09:00 PM

Looking good man! I'll be following along!

Russ 03-11-2013 11:06 PM

Is this your property? Or a family members?

viper3853 03-12-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sippy (Post 6753105)
Im a believer in the trophy rock. These 2 will go out Wednesday.

will hogs mess with the rocks?

i dont wanna put one out and have the hogs destroy it before deer get to it.

SuperExotics 03-12-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 6756029)
Is this your property? Or a family members?

Split 50/50, but im in charge of all things deer and maintenance.
Quote:

Originally Posted by viper3853 (Post 6756803)
will hogs mess with the rocks?

i dont wanna put one out and have the hogs destroy it before deer get to it.

Yes they do, but they just lick on it like the deer.

I havent had any get broken or anything by them.

Russ 03-12-2013 12:44 PM

Thats awesome Sipp! Congrats buddy!

SuperExotics 03-12-2013 02:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you!

What did I get?Attachment 468464

viper3853 03-12-2013 03:25 PM

boss buck protien feeder, did you pick up the 4 way spout on classifieds?

SuperExotics 03-12-2013 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Winner!

I got it all directly from Boss Buck.

Ill be going out tomorrow. Stopping by Gorman Milling on the way to pick up some 17% protein and corn to fill feeders thursday.

I will also be setting up the Boss Buck, putting out Trophy Rocks, and planting about an acre of milo.

The area the milo is being planted in has been resting for 4 years. I am going to use 1/2 the amount of 13-13-13 I normally do to see how well it comes up.

Crazy Horse 03-12-2013 03:47 PM

Sippy ya'll running any livestock?

nice feeder...;)b

oh and those heads WILL break...had a big aoudad bust one the other week...:mad:

SuperExotics 03-12-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Horse (Post 6758657)
Sippy ya'll running any livestock?

nice feeder...;)b

oh and those heads WILL break...had a big aoudad bust one the other week...:mad:

Not this year, I will be running about 20 head next year most likely.

When I do I will be building big feed pens.

Karmstrong 03-12-2013 08:45 PM

How many feeders do you plan on putting out and is this your first year with protein?

SuperExotics 03-12-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmstrong (Post 6759868)
How many feeders do you plan on putting out and is this your first year with protein?

There are 5 corn feeders and 2 protein.

This is the 5th year of protein on the property, but the first year with consistent protein feeding and with Red Chain 17%.

In other words the previous owner would feed a bag or two a month.

down2hunt 03-12-2013 08:53 PM

I'm curious why you don't use game camera's? In this day and age that is pretty rare.

And I'm following.

SuperExotics 03-12-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by down2hunt (Post 6759914)
I'm curious why you don't use game camera's? In this day and age that is pretty rare.

And I'm following.

We just bought the property this past month. The previous owner used to every once in a while but once a few quit working he just stopped fooling with them.

Plus, he was out there 4-5 days a week hunting hogs so he was seeing what was coming in.


I will run cameras, and will probably put at least one out when i go down tomorrow. They are great tools!

Moose 03-12-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sippy (Post 6759878)
There are 5 corn feeders and 2 protein.

This is the 5th year of protein on the property, but the first year with consistent protein feeding and with Red Chain 17%.

In other words the previous owner would feed a bag or two a month.

I may be way off, but I bet if the deer density is as high as you say you're going to need a protein feeder about 3 times that size to keep it from going empty in less than a week. We've fed 20% protein now for 3 years in East TX with a very, very low deer density and it's nothing for them to eat 300lbs in a week during the spring and late summer.

SuperExotics 03-12-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose (Post 6759937)
I may be way off, but I bet if the deer density is as high as you say you're going to need a protein feeder about 3 times that size to keep it from going empty in less than a week. We've fed 20% protein now for 3 years in East TX with a very, very low deer density and it's nothing for them to eat 300lbs in a week during the spring and late summer.

Ill be out there 2x a week. ;)b

I would have gotten a larger one but i couldn't justify it since i am already going to be out there.

Right now they are eating 300lbs about every 3 weeks. However, I do expect that number to increase whenever I switch feeds.

Karmstrong 03-12-2013 09:47 PM

Is that the small 350# buck boss? I have been looking at the 600/500# feeder. Thinking of going ahead and making my wish list now.

How many deer do you think you are drawing into your feeder? Feeding only 100lbs a week looks a little light for this time of year. To get them started are you mixing with corn?

SuperExotics 03-12-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmstrong (Post 6760251)
Is that the small 350# buck boss? I have been looking at the 600/500# feeder. Thinking of going ahead and making my wish list now.

How many deer do you think you are drawing into your feeder? Feeding only 100lbs a week looks a little light for this time of year. To get them started are you mixing with corn?

Yes it is the 350.

They have plenty of protein provided to them, the feeders are full.
Deer consume protein as they need it and I believe it will pick up shortly.

I am not sure how many deer per feeder, but on the property we feed about 40 deer +-5. They are used to protein, so I am feeding it straight.

We have 15 acres of food plots and everything is getting green, so that might explain why they havent turned into protein hogs yet this year.

jshouse 03-12-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sippy (Post 6760312)
We have 15 acres of food plots and everything is getting green....

bragger.

its gonna take some major neighbor blocking and/or tree cutting for me to be able to get any plots bigger than 2 acres on my place that cant be seen by prying eyes. i have 3 neighboring stands on my north side that are within 30 yards of my fence and one is a small chair behind a camo curtain that is less than 15 yards from the fence and is facing MY fence.

SuperExotics 03-12-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jshouse (Post 6760361)
bragger.

its gonna take some major neighbor blocking and/or tree cutting for me to be able to get any plots bigger than 2 acres on my place that cant be seen by prying eyes. i have 3 neighboring stands on my north side that are within 30 yards of my fence and one is a small chair behind a camo curtain that is less than 15 yards from the fence and is facing MY fence.

:D comparatively speaking it might just be a hint of yellow.

Anything is greener than what it was this fall!



On your place small kill plots, or "hidey holes" as Dr. Grant Woods calls them, are perfect. ;)b


Sorry about the neighbors :( We have a guy on our south side who doesnt care about management at all.

Karmstrong 03-12-2013 10:26 PM

Do you get enough rain to make the plots worth your effort? Assuming the milo is more for the turkey and dove vs. deer.

Hope you had some rain this past weekend to help green everything up.

SuperExotics 03-13-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmstrong (Post 6760490)
Do you get enough rain to make the plots worth your effort? Assuming the milo is more for the turkey and dove vs. deer.

Hope you had some rain this past weekend to help green everything up.

Absolutely. It didnt really come up well until november, but they have been all over it.

We just got a sprinkle. It formed over us and then got stronger as it moved east.

CEO 03-13-2013 10:07 AM

Cool thread and looks like a really nice place. Our lease is about the same size and we seem to do a lot of the same things so I'll be following your progress for sure.

Shake N' Bake 03-13-2013 11:28 AM

[QUOTE=Sippy;6753720]

Well heck, next time be friendly :D


I was nervous I've never met anybody that famous:D

oktx 03-13-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sippy (Post 6756831)
Split 50/50, but im in charge of all things deer and maintenance.

Yes they do, but they just lick on it like the deer.

I havent had any get broken or anything by them.

If it has salt in it hogs won't mess with it.

oktx 03-13-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sippy (Post 6748426)
My wheat and oat plot is looking a lot better after last weeks drizzle. The first picture is the 10 acre plot.Attachment 467259 The second picture is of my 2 acre buck forage oat plot that is getting grazed pretty heavily. Attachment 467265

The protein feeder isn't getting hit as hard as I anticipated, but I am switching to red chain 17% next week. Attachment 467266

The lake is low but still holding water. There were 3 gadwall on it this morning. Ill probably build a duck blind next month on it. Attachment 467267

This tank is very low. We need more rain bad!Attachment 467268

Im going to be back out this coming week to bring out protein and plant about an acre of milo, so ill update again then.

Unless you have a cage on your plots you have no idea how much they are eating. I would say drought is keeping short.

SuperExotics 03-13-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oktx (Post 6762336)
If it has salt in it hogs won't mess with it.

Odd because I have pictures of them licking and rolling it around.

SuperExotics 03-13-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oktx (Post 6762348)
Unless you have a cage on your plots you have no idea how much they are eating. I would say drought is keeping short.

Actually you can tell they are eating it due to the amount of ends that have been torn off.

But yes, growth cages are useful tools.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com