TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photography (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Editing software discussion (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676101)

Bill M 12-28-2017 07:53 AM

Editing software discussion
 
I've been using Adobe products for many years but I'm not big on the subscription model. I built a new computer about 3 weeks ago and decided to try the CC with a new email addy so it would not be connected to my old PC with LR6 and PS5. The new PC has more umph to it than the old. Having said that...

I'm finding that LR and PS CC 2018 really drags and is not as responsive as the older versions. Some tools do not work as well for me either. Might be user error/inexperience with the new product or might not be. I don't know yet. I do know this. I'm looking for alternatives.

I'm curious to hear experiences with other software. I'm currently exploring
Capture One (LR alternative)
Affinity Photo
Corel Paintshop Pro
Luminar

to name a few. I'd be curious to hear what you guys are thinking on this. Hopefully we can get a meaningful and helpful discussion going.

candjbell 12-28-2017 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill M (Post 13051089)
I've been using Adobe products for many years but I'm not big on the subscription model. I built a new computer about 3 weeks ago and decided to try the CC with a new email addy so it would not be connected to my old PC with LR6 and PS5. The new PC has more umph to it than the old. Having said that...



I'm finding that LR and PS CC 2018 really drags and is not as responsive as the older versions. Some tools do not work as well for me either. Might be user error/inexperience with the new product or might not be. I don't know yet. I do know this. I'm looking for alternatives.



I'm curious to hear experiences with other software. I'm currently exploring

Capture One (LR alternative)

Affinity Photo

Corel Paintshop Pro

Luminar



to name a few. I'd be curious to hear what you guys are thinking on this. Hopefully we can get a meaningful and helpful discussion going.



I recently switched to luminar 2018 and love it. Itís like photoshop and Lightroom had a baby that is more powerful than Lightroom and less cumbersome than photoshop with many of the functions from photoshop I need. They also have Aurora hdr which is s good tool if you shoot landscape.

The only issue that I am not a fan of is the lack of a library/catalogue. They claim to be adding it in early 2018. If that goes through as planned Adobe is off of my computer. Hope this helps


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

candjbell 12-28-2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candjbell (Post 13051145)
I recently switched to luminar 2018 and love it. Itís like photoshop and Lightroom had a baby that is more powerful than Lightroom and less cumbersome than photoshop with many of the functions from photoshop I need. They also have Aurora hdr which is s good tool if you shoot landscape.

The only issue that I am not a fan of is the lack of a library/catalogue. They claim to be adding it in early 2018. If that goes through as planned Adobe is off of my computer. Hope this helps


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Plus there is a free trial of all I believe.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill M 12-28-2017 08:25 AM

Thanks for that input. LR is convenient and quick for organizing and syncing multiple like photo edits and I now require this. LR is a start for my processing normally. Capture One is suppose to be good alternative but is expensive. I just found Luminar and would really like to try it but I do require the cataloging.

ryno77 12-28-2017 09:20 AM

Bill M what kind of computer are you running. I'm looking to buy one so I'm looking for ideas!

Casey 12-28-2017 09:44 AM

Bill,
I'm curious why the subscription is a problem? I found it to be more or less painless and I feel if I'm going to use it, I need to pay for it...and it's nice to stay current.

I'm also what tools are lagging? I have a 3-4 year old pc and I don't have a lot of issues with LR. I admit, syncing settings across 4000 photos for a timelapse takes a little time, but nothing else I've done has been very laggy.

I read about a tool called Darktable that is an alternative and is now available for Windows.

http://youtu.be/IwoHkXqHTCc

Bill M 12-28-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryno77 (Post 13051327)
Bill M what kind of computer are you running. I'm looking to buy one so I'm looking for ideas!

I built my own recently.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey (Post 13051388)
Bill,
I'm curious why the subscription is a problem? I found it to be more or less painless and I feel if I'm going to use it, I need to pay for it...and it's nice to stay current.

I'm also what tools are lagging? I have a 3-4 year old pc and I don't have a lot of issues with LR. I admit, syncing settings across 4000 photos for a timelapse takes a little time, but nothing else I've done has been very laggy.

I read about a tool called Darktable that is an alternative and is now available for Windows.

http://youtu.be/IwoHkXqHTCc

Casey it's not LR as much as it is PS. Isolating areas and using some of those tools are much slower than in my other versions. The focus select command will crash the software and I have learned this is not an isolated problem. My workflow in LR is pretty basic as anything that will be published most of the time spends a little time in PS as well. I will check out the youtube link, thanks.

Bill M 12-28-2017 05:48 PM

Saw this on another site, mentioned by Casey above.

https://www.darktable.org/about/features/

Bill M 12-29-2017 06:08 AM

Add to the list for LR replacement. I have a friend that is going to try this one.

DxO PhotoLab

Bill M 01-20-2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey (Post 13051388)
Bill,
I'm curious why the subscription is a problem? I found it to be more or less painless and I feel if I'm going to use it, I need to pay for it...and it's nice to stay current.

I'm also what tools are lagging? I have a 3-4 year old pc and I don't have a lot of issues with LR. I admit, syncing settings across 4000 photos for a timelapse takes a little time, but nothing else I've done has been very laggy.

I read about a tool called Darktable that is an alternative and is now available for Windows.

http://youtu.be/IwoHkXqHTCc

Casey I had used an older used cpu in the new machine 'cause I had it. It was replaced this morning and the machine/editing software is much quicker now. I did read that the lag in PS/LR isn't an isolated problem either.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com