Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend a Vortex Scope for my "AR-10" (Sig 716)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a Vortex Scope for my "AR-10" (Sig 716)

I have a Sig 716 in .308 that I'm going to set up for hunting. It's got an EOTECH on it now. I toyed with just adding a Vortex VMX-3T but starting to think maybe just putting a regular scope on it. Plan on hunting hogs with it, so good low light performance will be important.

Just buy the Vortex Hog Hunter and be done?

I have a Strike Eagle and have been happy with it.

Comment

Any reason why Vortex specifically?

Comment

If you are looking for only vortex, the strike eagle 1-8 is good for the price if you are on a budget. Otherwise the 1-10 Razor would be my choice.

Comment

I gave up on everything Vortex makes below their "Razor" line. I've had too many issues with multiple Vortex scopes. They have a great warranty, but you better plan on using it at some point. Dollar for dollar, Leupold beats anything Vortex and has the same great warranty and better glass for low light hunting situations.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
            I gave up on everything Vortex makes below their "Razor" line. I've had too many issues with multiple Vortex scopes. They have a great warranty, but you better plan on using it at some point. Dollar for dollar, Leupold beats anything Vortex and has the same great warranty and better glass for low light hunting situations.
            I agree with that. I've had a Razor gen II-E **** the bed on me as well, though. Great customer service and got it sorted without any hassle other than being down an optic for a bit. I still like their Razor line, but that's all I would use.

Big fan of Nightforce.

Comment

Originally posted by SNKETR View Post
              I agree with that. I've had a Razor gen II-E **** the bed on me as well, though. Great customer service and got it sorted without any hassle other than being down an optic for a bit. I still like their Razor line, but that's all I would use.

Big fan of Nightforce.
              The Gen II E 1-6 is known to be more failure prone than the Gen II 1-6. The original is a tank, but it also weighs as much as one.

Comment

Why Vortex? I get a deal on them... simple dollars and cents.

I'll look at the upper price points.
                EVERYTHING is out of stock at the moment.

Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

mil/le?

I get a pro deal through vortex also. Leupold and Nightforce both do MIL discounts, not sure about LE.

Comment

I have a Strike Eagle 3-18x44 on my Grendel and like it a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Rango View Post
                      Why Vortex? I get a deal on them... simple dollars and cents.

I'll look at the upper price points.
                      EVERYTHING is out of stock at the moment.

Thanks for all the replies.
                      A deal you say? That is like getting food poisoning and going back to the restaurant because they give you a free meal. If it is about dollars and cents, look in the used markets for something without historical shortcomings.

Comment

I don't see it that way...
                        I've had a couple their dots on duty guns that have been solid.
                        Support LE
                        Lifetime warranty
                        Good products
                        Good prices
                        I'm happy to support those that support me. :-)

Comment

Had a strike eagle on my At 10 primarily all I use it for is pig hunting. Switch to a trijicon accupower 2.5-10x56 much better setup for hunting.

I have a lot of vortex products and they are ok but I find myself
                          Moving away from them for one reason glass clarity and brightness.

Comment

Strike eagle with 34mm tube and 56mm objective is going to be good in low light, especially at the price point. It will do what scopes costing 3x as much. The only hold up might be reticle choices.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                              Strike eagle with 34mm tube and 56mm objective is going to be good in low light, especially at the price point. It will do what scopes costing 3x as much. The only hold up might be reticle choices.
                              No. It will not do what scopes costing 3x as much do or it would cost 3x as much. 3x as much puts it in the NF atacr and NX8 territory. That strike eagle is $699.
                              Not to mention many others like the NXS. Leupold vx6hd and the list goes on.

My biggest complaint above vortex fans. Call it what it is. It’s a feature packed optic that they had to cut quality on to get it into that price range. They do not have a secret sauce that nobody else does. It costs lots of money to build top tier optics.

It’s a $699 optic that has sub par glass but has lots of features. May need warranty work eventually.

OP. Buy a gen 2 pst or a razor. Anything else vortex is a hard pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X