TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Hunting Opportunities (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Prince of Wales Alaska Deer hunt pics (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658622)

Felix40 08-23-2017 09:16 AM

Prince of Wales Alaska Deer hunt pics

2 Attachment(s)
I just got back from a trip to POW hunting deer and I thought I would put up the pics and info in case anyone else is considering a hunt there.

We flew out of DFW saturday morning and arrived in Ketchikan that afternoon. The weather was pretty rainy and dark. All the locals informed us that we had missed summer by a week because it was sunny the week before. Bummer. The plan was to use a float plane to drop us off at a high country lake for 7 days and hike around above treeline and find some velvet alpine bucks. We talked to our pilot and he told us that nobody was flying anywhere the day we arrived due to weather. We got a hotel room at the Edgewater Inn just north of town because it was close to the dock where our plane was at. The next morning we met the pilot on the dock at 5:30 and he said we could go somewhere for sure but it might not be the lake I had picked out because the ceiling was too low. We opted to get out there rather than try to wait for weather to clear up.
Attachment 869743

Attachment 869744

Felix40 08-23-2017 09:23 AM

5 Attachment(s)
We flew around a bit but couldnt really get above 500 feet so we finally settled on a spot and he put it down on the lake.
Attachment 869745

Attachment 869746

After unloading (we had a small cooler, two backpacks, and a duffle bag for two guys), we waved goodbye and started looking for a place to camp. Everything that was dry was too steep and everything that was flat had 6 inches of water in it. We finally opted to put the tipi on a little mound of old rotting wood and just kind of carve out our beds. If I could do it again I would seriously consider a hammock setup to get up off the wet ground. Somehow I was able to get a fire going in the stove and start drying a nice little pile of firewood.

Attachment 869747

Attachment 869748

Attachment 869749

BIGTERRY75 08-23-2017 09:42 AM

too cool

Felix40 08-23-2017 09:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
We hiked around the rest of the day then went by and grabbed the meat and took it to camp. The kifaru was pretty happy to get to haul some meat. I still need to give my pack a serious cleaning after being in the rain and mud for a week. We ate mashed potatoes and tenderloins for dinner that night. The lake was actually fairly warm (Im guessing around 55-60) so I couldnt sink the meat there to keep it good the rest of the week. I ended up finding a pool in a creek where cold rain water was running through and sunk the meat under a couple big rocks. I found a tree close by and hung the skull cap so it would be safe too.

Attachment 869759

Attachment 869760

The rest of the week was fairly uneventful. I still had one deer tag but my blood lust and toleration for busting brush and getting soaking wet had been dropped significantly. Another thing I would do differently if I went back is bring rubber rain pants in addition to good breathable stuff. I wore a kuiu chugach set all week and the pants wet through almost every day from falling down and pushing through brush. The jacket was fine. We basically just did a little hiking and fishing every day until it was time to go home Saturday morning. There were two days where it rained from sunrise to sunset and one of those we spent in the tipi almost the entire day.

Overall the trip was quite different than I expected with all the weather coming in so early in the year. It was an awesome adventure and Im really glad I got to see that country and take some of it home with me.

"DOC" 08-23-2017 09:53 AM

I Love POW.. Beautiful country.
Have Bear hunted and fished up there for several years.
Looks like ya'll flew in with Family Air. Good Company.
I usually use Sea Wind or PacAir.
Which lake did you end up on??
Sounds like an "Allsome" trip....;)b

mev002 08-23-2017 10:03 AM

That looks like it was overall a pretty good trip. Congrats on the buck!

Felix40 08-23-2017 10:08 AM

Yeah I meant to mention that. We flew with Family Air. Very good experience. We had actually booked with another company, Alaska Seaplane Tours, and they crashed one of their planes and had to cancel on us. There was actually an issue getting our deposit back and we had to go IN PERSON to get them to return it while we were there. But yes, Family Air was great to work with. When we got back to town they gave me a ride to their shop and I was able to freeze all the meat overnight then they brought it back to the hotel for me. I stuffed it in a cooler and it was solid until we got home. Its a very simple operation they have there but we had a great experience.

CRM_95 08-23-2017 10:09 AM

Congrats!! Looks like a great trip.

SwampRabbit 08-23-2017 10:24 AM

Personally, I think it is pretty bad*** that you basically ended up at some lake, somewhere, made do with your setups, and managed to get it done! Congrats and while it may not have been the best weather, etc... to this guy... it turned out to be an awesome story. (I am certain it didn't feel that way the entire day you spent in a tipi!)

Etxnoodler 08-23-2017 12:31 PM

If you don't mind me asking. About how much did this hunt cost you? From leaving driveway to return? Just curious always wanted to do this hunt. Pm me if you don't mind.

TxAg 08-23-2017 12:35 PM

Awesome

Felix40 08-23-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etxnoodler (Post 12674990)
If you don't mind me asking. About how much did this hunt cost you? From leaving driveway to return? Just curious always wanted to do this hunt. Pm me if you don't mind.

Thats another thing I was going to mention. Im big into adventure hunts but I have a SUPER small budget every year. This is very doable on an average dude's budget if you save up. My dad is a pilot so we got deals on airfare to Ketchikan but Ill list what you can buy them for.

Airport Parking: $50
Airline tickets round trip: $1300
Two nights in a hotel: $260
Two deer tags (more expensive now): $300
Float plane: $800

Total: $2700 ish. Split two ways

There was one extra checked bag charge but Im not sure how much because dad covered it. Otherwise thats it. Float planes can vary a lot depending on where and how much stuff you have. If you have three guys you will have to use a beaver which is more expensive but you can split it three ways so you will probably save money per person.

TxouT 08-23-2017 01:09 PM

Beautiful country, well done sir!

Taste any different than these East TX whitetail?

Etxnoodler 08-23-2017 01:18 PM

That 1300 air fare including getting the deer back or was that the extra bag?

Felix40 08-23-2017 01:35 PM

$1300 would be tickets only I think. We were allowed one checked bag and one carry on each but ended up having to pay extra for the cooler both directions. Its like $45 one way unless you go over 50 pounds then its around $100 I think.

Taste is pretty much on par with a whitetail. Less flavor than a mule deer and more than an elk imo.

76aggie 08-23-2017 02:02 PM

Kurt,

Looks like your stove performed well. Did you have any issues without a liner in the tipi or did the stove keep the condensation at bay?

Felix40 08-23-2017 02:54 PM

No issues with condensation. Between the stove and pitching it high to get air flow we barely had any condensation in the mornings.

BW96 08-23-2017 03:26 PM

Only hunters work all year to be homeless for a week and call it vacation. Again, awesome trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Felix40 08-23-2017 03:30 PM

Youve seen my house. I basically have the same square footage when I go camping plus no toys to step on when I get up at night!

Blitz 08-23-2017 03:33 PM

nice

Felix40 08-23-2017 04:04 PM

7 Attachment(s)
I fubarred the post with the deer pictures in it so here they are again (a little out of order now).

Basically, we spotted the buck from a muskeg area up on a cliff. I confirmed it was a buck through the binos and before I knew it the crosshairs were on his chest. The shot dropped him off the cliff toward us and he hung up in the root ball of a down tree about 18 feet off the ground. I climbed up to get him then we started deboning. All the meat (46 pounds) went in one game bag and we were barely able to find a decent tree to hang it in. I feel super lucky to have seen and had a chance to kill this deer. It was by no skill on my part that I was successful. It was just a matter of being in the right place at the right time and being aware of my surroundings.

Attachment 869830

Attachment 869831
Attachment 869834

Attachment 869832

Attachment 869833
Attachment 869835

Attachment 869836

DesertDug 08-23-2017 04:41 PM

Man that looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing!

forest-hunter 08-23-2017 06:44 PM

Great hunt brother. ThankYou for sharing the details with us.

Palehorse 08-23-2017 07:36 PM

What an awesome hunt!

Pope & Yum 08-29-2017 02:54 PM

Very cool thread. Congrats on a great hunt.

NDN98 08-30-2017 06:13 AM

Thanks for sharing your story and pics. Congrats on a successful hunt as well.

Shake N' Bake 08-30-2017 07:00 AM

Very cool hunt thanks for sharing!!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk