When to replace string/cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to replace string/cable?

1) When do you replace your strings/cable?
    2) Is it based of time/shots/visual wear etc?
    3) Do strings/cables go bad over time even if not installed on bow?

Stretching, fraying, serving unwinding and materials used. I change mine every two years on average. Sometimes sooner.

Comment

I replace my threads annually but I shoot a lot. However, a quality built set that is maintained properly can go two years no problem. Serving separation, peep rotation, hand shock and audible noise are indicative of creep setting in. While adjustments can be made to bring them back into spec there is a finite number of twists that should be added to a set. There is no hard and fast rule but I think you get the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been shooting the same strings since 2006 on my Hoyt Havotec. I was about to upgrade but I lost my lease 5 years ago so I don't bow hunt much anymore... but I pulled it out last week and it still shoots great for a 16 year old bow.

Comment

When you decide to change them, I would recommend Vapor Trail strings. Ive been shooting the set I got from them for 2 years, and no visible signs of wear or peep rotation yet, and I do shoot a lot.

Now that I say that...

Comment

I think it’s fine to go three years or more until you need to replace. If you shoot a whole lot or don’t wax your strings then maybe two years or sooner

Comment

Just need to look at the condition of the string. If i's fraying, looking worn then change it. As a rule I change mine every 2-3 years no matter what. Just put on a new set of 60X strings and I like 'em.

Comment

Just dropped mine off at CCR Wednesday. Nothing was fraying, but my peed was twisted do badly, couldn’t see through it. My Hoyt is a 2014 Model with original cable and string.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                  Just dropped mine off at CCR Wednesday. Nothing was fraying, but my peed was twisted do badly, couldn’t see through it. My Hoyt is a 2014 Model with original cable and string.
                  What was your estimated turn around time on a string swap?
                  I'm looking at upgrading/replacing my strings and am curious how long I'll be without my bow, as I try to shoot a game daily in my backyard.

Comment

Originally posted by MRWHITE87 View Post
                    What was your estimated turn around time on a string swap?
                    I'm looking at upgrading/replacing my strings and am curious how long I'll be without my bow, as I try to shoot a game daily in my backyard.
                    They said 2 weeks this time of year.

Comment

I am like one of the guys above...I shot same hoyt for probably 15 years I replaced the sting once in that time

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                        I am like one of the guys above...I shot same hoyt for probably 15 years I replaced the sting once in that time
                        Like you and others, I shot my MQ32 for probably 10-12 years before doing string and cables. Nothing looked bad or worn so I figured I wasted my money, until I pulled the bow. It felt like a brand new one, back into original factory specs. Those items do cost a lot of money, and I understand not wanting to spend it. But, it will shoot like a new one when put back to specs.

Comment

Working...
                        X