This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Travels Of The Bow Sacagawea

Sacagawea is name of our traveling bow. She is named in honor of the Native American woman who travel extensively with Lewis and Clark in the early 1800s.

Our beautiful little bow was conceived and built by our good friend and site sponsor Bob Sarrels. She is light enough that almost anyone can shoot her and has a shelf on both sides to accommodate both left and right handed archers.

Generous donations made by over twenty members paid for the construction of the bow. Those contributors make up the list of the first twenty archers to get an opportunity to have her. It is our hope that when the list is completed she will continue to travel and build a history.

The concept is that the bow passes from person to person. Each archer keeps the bow for no more than a month (four weekends). They may choose to hunt with her, shoot her in some competition, or just fling arrows in their back yard. The point is that they held the bow, shot the bow, and became a part of the bow’s history. Perhaps a little of the archers spirit may transfer to the bow as well.

We hope that this will serve as a bonding experience and provide for entertainment for the members of our community here, on the Texas Bowhunter Traditional Page. After a person has the bow, they will write a short profile so that we can know them better and tell us about their time with the bow. Those profiles and stories follow. A log book picture album also travel with the bow.

We hope you enjoy reading about the travels and adventures of Sacagawea.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Chunky; 01-28-2012, 10:54 AM.

Archers Profile

My name is Mark Johnson, aka Chunky to my internet friends.

My motto has always been: Will bowhunt anything, anytime, anywhere!

At the time I had Sacagawea, January, 2012, I was 53 years old.

I grew up and attended school in Oklahoma. Go Cowboys! I earned a B.S. in Wildlife Mgmt/Biology at OSU, while unsuccessfully trying to get into veterinary school. I was working on my Masters when I hired on with the Federal Government as an air traffic controller.

I have worked at the Houston Enroute Air Traffic Control Center for the last 29 years, and will probably be there for a couple more.

I live in Splendora, which is a small place just up Hwy 59 from Houston. I have a little 26 acre swamp we affectionately call the Lost Cow Ranch.

I was married for over twenty years but am divorced at this time. I have two wonderful (bowhunting) daughters that are my pride and joy. They are attending college and working these days.

I grew up in a non-hunting family. There was always a hunter in me (genetic throw back
    I guess). My parents recognized this, even though they did not understand it. They got me subscription to Field and Stream when I was very young. I read each issue cover to cover. When I was 16 and old enough to drive, I started bird hunting as that was most readily available. I spent all my spare time in the fields for upland birds, like quail, or at the lake guarding decoy spreads.

I did not start seriouly deer hunting until I was almost 30. A family friend invited me on his deer lease near Ozona. I shot 3 bucks with the family 30.06, which had never been hunting in the two previous generations of Johnsons. It seemed pretty easy once you found the deer.

I then took up a compound bow for the challenge and to give me more time afield. I really enjoyed it, but after a couple of years and more than a dozen successes I wanted to try traditional bowhunting.

I really love both the simplicity and challenge of it. I have been obsessed with it for the last twenty plus years.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to hunt many different species in many different places. I normally try and take at least one “big” out of state hunt each year.
    I would say I consider my best hunting accomplishment, my mule deer. It took me three tries to get one. You may remember the story I posted here and the pic of me in the rocks above the deer just before the shot.

My best trip was my first trip to Africa, while the hunting was not particularly hard the trip was a dream come true. (I always say it’s harder to kill a buck on an East Texas paper company family lease, than the biggest kudu in Africa).

The best shot I ever made was a forty yarder on a squirrel. I still have his hide in my hunting room.

Bowhunting has been such a big part of my life that I wanted to give back to the sport. I have taught archery classes, became a hunter safety instructor, and served as officer in several organizations, such as LSBA.

The last thing I would like to add is the many great people and close friends I have been blessed to have in my life through hunting. The richness of a life can be measured in people that you have touched and have touched you. Many of my closest friends post here, and I feel lucky to have you in my life.

Comment

My Time With Sacagawea

I received a package from my friend Bob Sarrels in mid January 2012. I knew it contained the bow he had just made for the guys on the Texas Bowhunter (TBH) Traditional page to use as a traveling bow. I opened up the package and put the beautiful bow together. I was not surprised at the clean lines or the smooth draw as I have a couple of Bob’s bows in my collection already. In fact I used a Sarrel’s longbow on my second trip to Africa. Bob makes an excellent bow and I could not wait to shoot Sacagawea.

The weather did not cooperate with me as strong winds and heavy rains kept me indoors for a couple of days. When I did get out to the little shooting range I have beside my house, I found I had a problem. Every arrow I had was way too heavy on spine to shoot well. I called Bob and to ask him what arrows he had tested the bow with and what would work. He told me he was sending me a package with a few arrows, field tips, and broadheads. I called my buddy Joey down at the Bow Zone and he told me he would have me some arrows fleched in a couple of hours that should also work.

I was not ready to hunt with the bow that first weekend, and went to the lease without it. When I got back, I had a package waiting again from Bob, and Monday armed with what Bob had sent and what I had purchased, I started shooting and tuning.

Things went pretty well and I was grouping arrows and getting good flight. I would occasionally have one that would go a bit left when I made a bad release, but overall I was feeling good by the end of the week and ready to hunt.

It just so happened that I had scheduled to take a few friends up to Marty “Buff” Thomas’s place, Big Oak, that weekend. While I would be acting as guide, I knew I would have a chance to hunt as well. Marty has made the place so nice and has a good population of animals and I felt certain I would get a chance at something. Being that I am the first to have and shoot the bow, I was feeling a little pressure to get Sacagawea off to a good start. I was not going to be too picky about what animal I would take.

Just before heading to the stand for the first time I decided to shoot a few practice arrows on Buff’s nice range. I picked a fifteen yard shot at 3-D hog target and let fly. I shot three arrows right where I was looking, so close the feathers looked like one clump. I did not shoot another for fear of damaging one of the few I had. I was ready to hunt.

After dropping my friends off at what I hoped were the best spots, I picked a blind near the back fence for the first evenings hunt. I took a couple of pics with my phone as I sat and waited. One turned out pretty cool. It looks like the arrow is glowing. A magic arrow on a magic bow, ready to fly.

Right at dark I saw three sika does, but they were very nervous and would not come closer than about forty yards. Then five BIG boars came into the feeder. I judged the smallest one to be about a buck fifty. A couple of times they got to around twenty yards, but I was not going to take that long of a shot. I was concerned some about the light weight bow and fairly light arrow on a boar that large. They did not give me the ten yard shot I was looking for, so it was not an issue.

The next morning after dropping off the other hunters I chose a stand in the center of the ranch that I really like. I got settled in and I could hear something coming in the dark. As it got lighter, I could see two sika does picking up the corn I had hand thrown. I knew that if one of these gave me a shot I would take her. I had my video camera and was hoping to capture the shot on tape.

The does moved into the perfect spot in the shooting lane. I had enough light to shoot, but it would not make a good video, so I waited. Then the feeder ran and one of the does ran away. I had one left. She was in the perfect spot, but on the video screen I could see her shape, but knew you would not be able to see the arrow fly. I decided to wait a little longer. I was nervous that I might be blowing my chance to be the first to get an animal with Sacagawea. It was cold and overcast and no matter how much I pleaded, the sun would not hurry. As I sat there considering what I was doing, I heard footsteps in the dry leaves. Something else was coming in. I glanced to the right and saw an ibex/Spanish goat headed my way. I know that they can be bullies and would probably run off my deer.

Without a moments hesitation and forgoing the video, I picked up Sacagawea and pulled to anchor. I picked a spot on the twelve yard, quartering away, sika doe, and let the string slip from my fingers. The arrow flew great, and passed through the doe about two or three inches above the spot I was looking at. It was below the mid body line and passed all the way through.
      I instantly felt a rush of relief and joy as I knew that I had made a good shot. I heard the doe stumble and fall. It was over in just a few seconds and thirty yards from the stand.

I can not tell you how pleased I was. I really wanted to get the bow started off on a good note. A miss or worse a poor hit, would have been very disheartening. Sacagawea had accounted for her first animal, January 21, 2012.

I waited for a half an hour or so and went to my prize. I took a few pics with my phone to remember the moment. I then loaded her up and went to retrieve the other guys. After retrieving my good camera, I had my friend Lou take some more shots of me, Sacagawea, and the deer.

I carried her afield one more time that evening, but nothing came in.

I really enjoyed my time with her and hope that all of those who come after me have as much fun and success in their adventures.
      Attached Files

Comment

Congrats Chunky ! What a great write-up !!!

Comment

Awesome job and great write up. Im glad that you got a kill it is very fitting that you drew first blood with her since you headed this whole thing up. Congrats again, I can't wait for my turn with her I got a feeder spinning and lots of pigs coming in.

Comment

If anyone was gonna get her off to a big start it would be you Mark!

Great shot, pictures and story.... Looking forward to the chapters in this one!

John

Comment

Outstanding job Mark, on all counts. Great way to get it rolling.

Comment

I have a hunt coming up Mar 24th. If she is not spoken for I would love to be in line...

Pm me if possible..

Comment

Way to start us off Mark! The story and pictures put us in the blind with you; I enjoy them nearly as much as doing it myself...nearly . I'm anxiously awaiting my turn!

Comment

Awesome story and Congrats on the kill,

Comment

What a way to start! I'm really looking forward to watching this story unfold.

Comment

what a way to start ! congrats Mark, and to Mr Bob also for building such a beautiful bow

Comment

There was never any doubt about a great start with Mark being first up!! Great writing and shooting!

Comment

Cool! Congrats!

Comment

Cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X