Nailgi questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nailgi questions

Ok green screen, what is a good rifle for Nailgi and where is the perfect place to shoot? Those with experience please let me know your round of choice and where is the sweet spot to aim at them! Thanks

There is a thread, discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677786
    That has a lot of good info in it Todd.
    Last edited by Tx_Wader; 01-12-2018, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Any others?

Comment

I have only shot one but it took 2 rounds with a 7mm STW and Nosler Accubond bullets to put it down. Extremely tough animals IMO. One of the rounds didn't even exit the body.

Comment

I shot a bull with a .280. Took 3 round with the final being up close in the neck while he was down but struggling. Tough animals and I stepped up to a 300 winmag for the next one.

Comment

I went with All Seasons Guide Service a few years ago. I used their gun and it was a 375 H&H. I was able to get a good rest and make a good shot at 200 yards and dropped him.

Comment

I've killed several with rifle
              Best shot Is the white spot on neck.
              If broadside put it high on shoulder/base of neck and follow up shots are always recommended-
              I knew a guy that was hired by the kenedy ranch in riviera to kill alot of em..he would only use his 243 and slap em in the neck spot- They were destroying the fences and cattle were escaping.

If u try to heart shoot them u will for sure be tracking it

Comment

Have shot them with .375 HH, .300 WinMag and .338. Was happy with all three. Don't think I had any bullet exit no matter where I shot them. Very tough animals with very thick skin on Bulls from neck and shoulders. Great to eat, so good luck!

Comment

here with a tough bullet
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here, on the GS, you will get advice on every caliber in the book. Some will say you can kill them with a 22-250 or a .243 all day long, yea ok, and ones that have actually killed several that will tell you to use big 30 Caliber magnums and bigger..
                    It's a big, tough animal with VERY thick skin(the Bulls)and big bone structure and the vitals set in between the shoulders.. The bigger the better when hunting these critters...

I do think that a 7mm Mag, with the biggest, heaviest, best built bullet made, that can be hand loaded, would do the job. What I'm talking about can't be bought in a factory load, I don't think.

Personally I using a 300 RUM with 210gr Handload.
                    Last edited by PondPopper; 01-17-2018, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TKRanch View Post
                      Have shot them with .375 HH, .300 WinMag and .338. Was happy with all three. Don't think I had any bullet exit no matter where I shot them. Very tough animals with very thick skin on Bulls from neck and shoulders. Great to eat, so good luck!
                      Spot on^^^^^

Comment

I have rifle shot all of mine with a 300 win mag. right on the shoulder but if you are close enough and have a good rest a neck shot would be good. As it has been said, very thick hide and tough animals. Eye sight is the best on any animal I have hunted and at the thought of something wrong they will run a long distance before stopping to look back.

Comment

I found a 300 Weatherby I can borrow!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                            here with a tough bullet

I shot mine right at the very top of that red spot with a .300 Weatherby, 180gr....and he dropped like a ton of brick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Drt

Originally posted by TKRanch View Post
                              If nilgai were classified as dangerous game , we wouldn't be having any debate on caliber, they are big and tougher than most animals . some are DRT with a well placed 7mm , and some can take a beating, you can't overkill them , imo

Comment

Working...
                              X